Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wide feet cycling shoe sizing-bont, giro, specialized, lake
Quote | Reply
Looking for some insight on cycling shoes for my duck feet. I did the measurements from Bont's website (260 mm length, 110 width) and it suggests 42.5 double wide or custom shoes. I've tried shimanos wide r171 in both 42.5 and 43 but just didn't quite fit right (didn't like the racket system). Also tried on some wide specialized pro roads in 42 which were a little too small (they didn't have 42.5 or 43 in wide).

Currently wearing Giro Empires in 44 which fit OK width-wise but I have way to much length.

So slowtwitch, help a brother out:
-What's your experience with the size wizard from Bont? Thinking about pulling the trigger on Bont Vaypors wide 43
-Anyone have any experience with the high volume (HV) shoes from Giro? Looks like I can get a deal on some Giro Factor's in 42.5 HV
-What about Lake's wide offerings?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Wide feet cycling shoe sizing-bont, giro, specialized, lake [tlmsal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidi Megas. EE's for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide feet cycling shoe sizing-bont, giro, specialized, lake [tlmsal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a 4E in Asics.

I bought some Bonts a while back. My measurent is right about 280mm and a little over 110mm. Bont said, through emails, I should go with the 44.5 wide. According to the wizard that's right on length but a little narrow on the width. Their thought was heat molding would taker care of it. I sized up a half size when I ordered, and they were pretty much perfect, to me. Save for one spot I wouldn't have needed to heat mold them.

Ultimately they didn't work for me because I have neuromas in my feet and the configuration of the boa caused me issues. With theirs the top boa controls the rear and mid foot. So I would crank them down to lock the heel in and that would put pressure across the metatarsals. If they still made the old Vaypor I would have gone that route.

I've been through LG (has worked the best so far in the old models), Sidi, Shimano with less than ideal results.

So now I'm in Lake's. I first tried their top shoe, the 402. Very cool shoe, but the shape of the heel cup is very odd. It really comes in tight at the top, they're batthub-ish shaped. They didn't work so they went back. I then ordered their CX237 in a 44.5 Wide. The fit is really good, plenty of room up front. The right boa configuration for me. And the price is right, Competitive Cyclist, at $279.

They're thr closest I've been to a shoe that actually works without me having to deal with some sort of pain or mods for sizing issues.

The only knock I have on them is that I don't think they'll be any where near as durable as the Bonts, and probably Sidi. They are leather. And I think the rubber bumper on the bottom front of the shoe is too far back. I tend to toe off when starting from a dead stop and have chewed up te carbon a little bit. So I'm just putting some duct tape on occasionally.

I've actually,ordered a second pair. There can be a little wait if your size isn't in stock. They have very limited distribution. I did email them directly and they put me in touch with a distributor in Canada that could get me what I wanted. But I wanted the option of easy returns.

I will be buying their 222 triathlon shoe. Same last as the 237. I wanted their top tri shoe but you can't get it in a wide in the states.

Hope all of this helps. I feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake wide!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wide feet cycling shoe sizing-bont, giro, specialized, lake [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake a Sidi Megas both fit my 4e foot.
Quote Reply