Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WiFi interfering with Bluetooth and Ant+
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I wanted to hear what others things of the likelihood of WiFi signals having a detrimental effect on using BT and Ant+ ?

I know BT can cause quite a few resends for WiFi because of it's retry pattern, but I wandering if it's enough to cause things to pretty much be unusable.

/Lars
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi interfering with Bluetooth and Ant+ [larsgt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.4G Wifi can cause ANT+ issues. It depends on how much Wifi traffic you have and on what channel it's operating. You may find some channels more problematic than others.

I haven't seen it make ANT+ unusable, but it can certainly cause data drops.
Last edited by: rijndael: Feb 8, 16 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to force my router settings to a channel between 1-6 for the 2.4ghz frequency. If I leave it to auto, it usually defaults to 11 and interferes with my ANT+ duotrap/garmin 920xt. It causes my speed and cadence to constantly drop for several seconds at a time. Over the course of a 60 min ride, I would routinely lose 6 minutes worth of data. After some researching, I found that ANT+ uses the same spectrum as channels 7-11. If you have 5ghz this will never be an issue as I believe it uses a much higher spectrum, however, the downside to the 5ghz is that it doesn't have the same range as the 2.4gz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about BlueTooth but I had terrible problems with WiFi interfering with Ant+ in my front room. I changed my stations and even turned off wifi for a while to test it out and was unable to make it really work. There are just far too many wifi networks in close proximity to the front room (downstairs neighbor for one). Move my pain cave to the back of the house and the problems went away.

It is terribly frustrating to have so many dropouts and be unsure of what the cause was. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi interfering with Bluetooth and Ant+ [boyle_supremacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boyle_supremacy wrote:
I had to force my router settings to a channel between 1-6 for the 2.4ghz frequency. If I leave it to auto, it usually defaults to 11 and interferes with my ANT+ duotrap/garmin 920xt. It causes my speed and cadence to constantly drop for several seconds at a time. Over the course of a 60 min ride, I would routinely lose 6 minutes worth of data. After some researching, I found that ANT+ uses the same spectrum as channels 7-11. If you have 5ghz this will never be an issue as I believe it uses a much higher spectrum, however, the downside to the 5ghz is that it doesn't have the same range as the 2.4gz.

Thanks - that's just explained why my SC Duotrap drops out so frequently in the house. I'll get my router sorted out later today.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi interfering with Bluetooth and Ant+ [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just to add to the general knowledge on things that interfere, I was at wits end trying to figure out why my wifi range had dropped considerably in the past several months. Just suddenly, no wifi signal in the garage, which was several walls and 80 feet away from base. After doing some research, found out that led light bulbs can interfere with signals. Switch those out of the garage, back to incandescent and voila, range improved.

Led light buoys were also affecting the range of the garage door transmitter. Weird thing was that even off, the led light bulbs seem to interfere. Had to unscrew them and remove completely to restore signal range.

Hope that helps.

mongooseman wrote:
boyle_supremacy wrote:

Thanks - that's just explained why my SC Duotrap drops out so frequently in the house. I'll get my router sorted out later today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boyle_supremacy wrote:

I was having the same issue, using a Fenix 3 and ANT+ speed & cadence sensors. I checked my 2.4ghz channel last night and found it set to 11 (manual selection), so I changed it to channel 5. Not a single drop out in 65 minutes this morning. Unfortunately the only devices I still have using 2.4ghz are the laptop and chromecast in the pain cave.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi interfering with Bluetooth and Ant+ [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I've read, channels 1, 6, or 11 are optimum and I think your router will tend to default to one of these if your on auto settings. If you have neighbors nearby that are using channel 1, it could potentially interfere with your wifi signal, and vice versa as the signal is spread over 5 channels. So if your neighbor is using 1, and you are using 5, there could be interference between your two routers. However, if your on channel 6, you're outside channel 1's spectrum. Not much you can do if one if your neighbors randomly selected 2, 3, 4, or in your case 5. Ideally, you and your neighbors would be on the same channel, or some on 1, some on 6, and others on 11. In most cases, I imagine this is only applicable in big cities and/or apartment complexes when people are in close proximity. If you have issues with connectivity with any of your other devices, I would suggest switching to 1 or 6 and see if that helps since you've manually selected 5.
Last edited by: boyle_supremacy: Feb 9, 16 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seemed to have an issue with Bluetooth and Wifi impacting one another. When I would be using my Bluetooth head-set linked to my mobile phone, and I had the wifi "on" on the phone, I would from time to time get some interference when on the phone with people, to the point it was annoying. I followed this closely and found it happened when the wifi single would go in and out or I was in an area of the house where the wifi was weaker. By simply turning off the wifi on the phone ( not needed when I am working on my lap-top at my desk), it eliminated the problem.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind if I see any further interference. But it was nice to be able to rely on my Fenix for once. I've kept my old Polar stuff as a backup, just for indoor riding, it's never dropped out so I guess Polar has that going for them.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply