Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us)
Quote | Reply
Now that we know the "secrets to qualifying" for Kona from that small % of folks who do race there, how about something the vast majority of us can relate to, why we will not/can not qualify. Make it fun, make it funny, make it bitter, whatever turns your powercranx.... Please, a limit of three per customer) I'll go 1st.

1. Like beer too much. (honestly, a catch all for all the nutritional shortcomings I have).
  2. Unwilling to dedicate the time in the pool.
  3. Unwillingness to suffer on the bike enough in training.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. can't swim my way out of a wet paper bag.
2. do not run more than 8 miles in training.
3. bad choice in parents.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Sep 18, 14 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) I don't want to
2) Too much misery in the qualifying race just to go through it again, only more so with the heat/wind in Hawaii
3) I don't want my wife to have a reason to plan a vacation there
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spend too much time thinking/reading/writing about improving train that I do not have enough time to actually train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I am counting on the lottery. 17 years and counting!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. LOFT
2. No desire to run 26 miles so even if I did qualify at a 70.3 (if that still happens) I'd turn it down
3. see #1
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamgam wrote:
1. LOFT
2. No desire to run 26 miles so even if I did qualify at a 70.3 (if that still happens) I'd turn it down
3. see #1

LOFT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because I've already done it on a lottery spot and don't have the desire to try to qualify.

I'm 6'2 and 195 lbs and don't want to cannibalize all of my upper body muscle.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
jamgam wrote:
1. LOFT
3. see #1

LOFT?

Lack of F'ing Talent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread;

1: Zero desire to be on a bike for more than 2.5 hours
2: Zero desire to be on a plane for that long
3: Zero desire to spend however much they are charging now for entry fees, twice.

trav

Quote | Reply
Because I suck.

All other reasons or excuses simply point back to those 3 words.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Life is too short to be spending 20+ hours a week training
2. I actually want to stay employed
3. I actually want to stay married

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I like sitting on my couch too much.
2. One piece of pie (bowl of ice cream, cookie, pizza, etc) is never enough...also what constitutes 'a piece' doesn't seem to line up with other people's definitions...

and a VERY distant third
3. My bank account could never support an attempt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I like good beer
2. I spend a lot of my money on good beer
3. I like to sleep in and go to bed early
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I suck at running
2. I really suck at running
3. I really suck at running and everytime I start to get marginal at it I get hurt!

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) started getting fit too late in life
2) partied too hard before I started #1
3) see #2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Enjoy my family
2. Enjoy my sleep
3. Enjoy my money too much to enter an IM or buy all the gear needed for that last 1% of speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My screen name pretty much says it all.

Love to train long, hate to train hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Can't afford IM events.
2. Don't like big events - too many people. The Kona swim start is not really something in which I even want to partake. It's just not for me. I prefer smaller, well-run events like Toughman, Rev3/Challenge, and other local/one-off non-"brand name" races.
3. I enjoy challenging and fun courses in places where my family can have fun. Frankly, aside from the history, the Kona course looks like it would suck.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Can't swim for shit
2. Can't bike for shit
3. Can't run for shit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't this be titled the "Strange Denizens of the Non KQ Crowd"?
Quote Reply
Re: Why you will NEVER Qualify for Kona ( a thread for the rest of us) [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
Shouldn't this be titled the "Strange Denizens of the Non KQ Crowd"?

Another fine example of where a "Like" button would be so useful.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Lack of money
2. Lack of talent
3. Do I really need a #3?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No desire to put in the hours/years of agony it would take to get my run time remotely close to being a KQ type marathon. Only to find out there's no way in hell this body would ever pull off that kind of marathon
I have a family and a job, and a spouse who does IM's... training for a mediocre IM is hard enough.
I love white wine and potato chips..
Unwilling to put in very long training rides.

formerly but still a Run Snail...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no desire to race Kona
I hate humidity
Hawaii is humid

That pretty much sums it up.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next