Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC?
Quote | Reply
Just noticed that everyone was putting on their race bibs in T1 during the 70.3 WC. Why? Race rules?
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
Just noticed that everyone was putting on their race bibs in T1 during the 70.3 WC. Why? Race rules?

You can't wear most WTC bibs in the water and they require a race bib on the bike.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think European races require them on bike
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? At least the races I've done you have a number on your bike, you have a number on your helmet, you have a number in marker on your legs/arms. Why would you ALSO need to put your bib on in T1 and add drag to your bike ride? Race bib in T2 makes much more sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the exception of 70.3. This was asked at Ironman Steelhead 70.3. RD said we do not need to put race bibs on (also shoes could be on bike). This is one of the many reasons it's important to read athlete guide.

Quote | Reply
it's an European thing?

It was the same in NA five or so years ago, maybe they'll come around next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually race belts NOT required on the bike per race guide, just helmet and bike stickers. The folks putting on their race belts for the bike were the ones who didn't read the guide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the Athlete's Guide:
"9. Athletes must wear a bike helmet number on the front of their helmet.
10. Athletes’ bike frame sticker must be properly attached to the bike and must be visible from both sides. In addition, athletes must wear bib number during the run portion of the race."
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, full disclosure, I did not read the guide or go to a briefing, and on Saturday I was sent back to get my bib as I tried to exit T1 - my bad as I had no idea I needed it on the bike. When I was checking in my bags for Sunday's race people that went to the briefing said it was announced that we needed to wear bibs on the bike and that the guide was incorrect. I obviously wasn't at the meeting but that is what I was told, and after Saturday I wasn't taking any chances.

Another interesting bit - on Saturday there was no body marking at all, which I thought was odd. Someone speculated that they didn't do it since bibs had our age groups on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [JAH294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After doing the bike I now see why I liked having race numbers on back. You clearly saw who was in your AG on bike and their country. No hiding your AG with compression socks or unmarked AG marking.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I'm reading your post correctly, you did both Sat and Sun's race? Well done!

That's a bummer that they made you go back for your number in T1- what a waste of time! Maybe an overzealous volunteer? I always skip the meetings as well- rarely seem to deliver new information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easier to identify athletes and to catch cheaters/drafters.....
That may or may not make sense to you.

keqwow wrote:
Why? At least the races I've done you have a number on your bike, you have a number on your helmet, you have a number in marker on your legs/arms. Why would you ALSO need to put your bib on in T1 and add drag to your bike ride? Race bib in T2 makes much more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took even longer because I was so confused. "Wait, what? Where is my bib? It's in my run bag!" Haha

Thanks, I did do both. It was interesting to see the differences in the races even though they were the same (if that makes sense).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heliskyr wrote:
So if I'm reading your post correctly, you did both Sat and Sun's race? Well done!

That's a bummer that they made you go back for your number in T1- what a waste of time! Maybe an overzealous volunteer? I always skip the meetings as well- rarely seem to deliver new information.

Why was the volunteer over zealous? The mandatory race briefing announced that bibs were required. Why should they let someone out on the bike without a bib so that other athletes know who they're racing? The mistake was not putting it in the race guide, but that is where the race brief come into play for announcing mistakes and last minute changes. If you don't go to the brief, then it's your fault if you make a mistake that costs you time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's funny bc over 50% of the field wasn't wearing a bib number on the bike......I guess we where at a diffrent race.
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
That's funny bc over 50% of the field wasn't wearing a bib number on the bike......I guess we where at a diffrent race.

In that case it's poor organisation and I have sympathy with the person who got pulled for it. All I ask is that rules are clear and consistently applied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was one of the "technical officials" who stopped me. I did notice some people without bibs on the bike on Sunday but no more than a few (pros all had them on from photos I saw) - I didn't start until almost noon though so maybe the 50% were earlier in the day and long gone before I got there! What are you going to do though? I'm never going to argue with an official and I didn't go to the meeting or read the guide, so it's on me regardless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some races in Europe require you wear bib number on the bike leg. Leanda Cave got a DQ at IM Nice in 2014 for not wearing race number on the bike.

Not all European races have that rule though. At IM Copenhagen its cool to wait for the run.

Also - quite sure there is a Specialized Win(d) tunnel YouTube video where they found that a race number belt + that actual number generated close to zero drag.
Quote Reply
Re: Why race bibs going on in T1 at 70.3 WC? [KnudsenDenmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ST forum, with a cup of coffee, always makes me smile in the morning! Hiding your age with compression hose just ain't right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw very few who did not wear their bob on the bike. Over 50%, I say bs on that.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heliskyr wrote:

Except for this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:

Race rule in Europe. Why? No idea.....

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the south west Oceanside requires a race number on the bike because we ride through Miltary base. St George and Silverman you only need it on the run.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a requirement at most EU IM events - was mentioned in the compulsory Race Briefing (which is also to share last minute info to athletes that wasn't in the athlete guide). It makes it easier for officials and photographers to identify athletes, athletes can easily see who they are racing, key medical data and contact details are on the reverse.
Quote Reply