Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM
Quote | Reply
I never see pro use it, is it prohibit?

If it is, how about age group, does it allow age group to use tri spoke wheel?

Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [UnUnU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's because they use the real thing...not the "Chinese Copy" you posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many of their sponsors would make one and I'm not aware of there being a major advantage compared to a deep front which they would all make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember who it was, but there was at least one pro with a tri-spoke at IM Canada last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [mistermcdo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faris used Xentis, and Tissink used HED3s.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC Natascha Badmann had many a great race on Tri spoke wheels.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 23, 17 4:05
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else wanna weigh in on this one? Being a guy who uses a disc cover/HED 3 combo at races instead of my 404 Firecrests I'd like to know if there are any reasons to switch. One thing I do remember is that the HED 3 tends to work best with narrow (21/20/19) tyres which are now out of fashion.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to race on my H3C but only used it for shorter races, although fast, I tought it was too stiff and uncomfortable for longer rides given the narrow tires, I have a GT3 now and will try it out this year.
Last edited by: mike s: Mar 23, 17 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Anyone else wanna weigh in on this one? Being a guy who uses a disc cover/HED 3 combo at races instead of my 404 Firecrests I'd like to know if there are any reasons to switch. One thing I do remember is that the HED 3 tends to work best with narrow (21/20/19) tyres which are now out of fashion.

That's why they came out with the H3+ a couple of years ago. The rim is 6.5 mm wider than the H3.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it is still a good wheel it is dated. I think that sponsors want their athletes rocking their latest products.
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
While it is still a good wheel it is dated. I think that sponsors want their athletes rocking their latest products.

That really depends on the athlete. I had some experience last year where the sponsors actually sent old equipment. I debated, "but you want me showcasing your lower tier products"???? Granted in this situation I had a team manager and I didn't speak to the company reps directly.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callum Millward was the pro at IMC 2016 with a tri-spoke front wheel.

He biked a 4:47 but DNF'd.
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

That's why they came out with the H3+ a couple of years ago. The rim is 6.5 mm wider than the H3.

Is there any comparison test of this vs Zipp/Enve/etc.? I always thought it was interesting that Lance chose to ride a tri-spoke. He did whatever he wanted, so he must have had reason to believe it was faster than spoked wheels.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This pro rode them:

Last edited by: johnnybefit: Mar 23, 17 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That photo is also a good example of how a position with 100% muscle recruitment equals more power which outweighs an aggressive position with less drag sometimes. Damn... is he pushing a shitload of drag.
Last edited by: dnomelgreg: Mar 23, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Is there any comparison test of this vs Zipp/Enve/etc.?

Yes. The best selling product on my site of all time was the three spoke vs 808. That data set resonated well with folks at the time.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
Damn... is he pushing a shitload of drag.

Yeah- for sure, LANCE was never hurting on the supply side of the equation...d'oh.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kraig,
I remember buying a test from you on the H3 "eons" ago from you. I went with it.
Looking back over the last decade....there is "not one" age group record, course record, etc that I set without using a H3 tubular up front.
Since I started using a min. 90mm upfront...no more records...lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA-HA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Probably because this is what happens ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3P3i9FlXQg

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Mar 24, 17 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, as always the main difference in a half IM distance bike is going to be style. As far as the H3 with Conti SuperSonic 20 and a latex tube versus the Firecrest 404 with 23 Conti 4000 s - 2 and a butyl.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember reading a while ago that the 3 spoke is the go to wheel for low yaw conditions. Ergo you need to be riding relatively fast and in conditions with little wind. So yes they are still effective, depending on the rider and conditions on the day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
Kraig,
I remember buying a test from you on the H3 "eons" ago from you. I went with it.
Looking back over the last decade....there is "not one" age group record, course record, etc that I set without using a H3 tubular up front.
Since I started using a min. 90mm upfront...no more records...lol.

Same with me - in fact I didn't win my age group at Kona or age group nationals even once when I wasn't riding the H3
Quote Reply
Re: Why pro don't use tri spoke wheel in IM [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen...Brother
Quote Reply

Prev Next