Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Actually, I think the word is used to identify yourself as an internet douchebag to everyone else so in that respect he's using it pretty effectively.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
...snowflake...

Thank you

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trolling in 2017 aint the same as it was in 2010.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Trolling in 2017 aint the same as it was in 2010.

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to catch him writing dirty :-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Try to catch him writing dirty :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
[Does anyone who is sane really recommend NOT replenishing after a three hour workout?

in defense of dave!...

(which one does at one's peril)

here are some random thoughts:

1. dave is beanpole skinny which is pretty hard to be in your 60s. just sayin'. you can criticize dave, but at some point you all are going to be dave's age and it will be interesting to see how many of you are dave's morphology when you get to his age.

2. as the article, which is certainly dubious - but still - points out, what it's recommending for weight loss is not what it's recommending for performance. and it says that.

3. aren't we talking about something in the same basic genus as a ketosis diet? to the degree we are, dave has tim noakes and others for company in what he's advocating.

i shall now back out and take my whuppin.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I figure that when I get to be "beanpole skinny" I'll be like my grandfather, who died at the age of 95. He lost a lot of weight in his last 10 years or so.

Until then, I'm happy having some meat on my bones.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
[Does anyone who is sane really recommend NOT replenishing after a three hour workout?

in defense of dave!...

(which one does at one's peril)

here are some random thoughts:

1. dave is beanpole skinny which is pretty hard to be in your 60s. just sayin'. you can criticize dave, but at some point you all are going to be dave's age and it will be interesting to see how many of you are dave's morphology when you get to his age.

2. as the article, which is certainly dubious - but still - points out, what it's recommending for weight loss is not what it's recommending for performance. and it says that.

3. aren't we talking about something in the same basic genus as a ketosis diet? to the degree we are, dave has tim noakes and others for company in what he's advocating.

i shall now back out and take my whuppin.

Here's the issue and why Dave get's piled on. His arguments are never presented in a deductive process. And he jumps all over the place with his responses and never directly answers anyone's questions/challenges.

He posts and article about weight loss. He says that's pretty much how he exercises. He doesn't need to lose weight though. No matter what he says, he's obviously very concerned with performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Here's the issue and why Dave get's piled on.

i know why dave gets piled in ;-)

just, sometimes dave gets piled on because he's dave, and maybe we miss an opportunity to actually hash out a pretty interesting topic.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
1. dave is beanpole skinny which is pretty hard to be in your 60s.

I agree 100%. Even in your 40s. But Dave does NOT agree. On this and every other similar thread, he continues to sermonize "so easy!"

That is what I have a problem with. It is absolutely not easy for the majority of people who are interested in this topic. For those that have insulin sensitivity issues, it is quite difficult.

So Dave's impact on those people (those that haven't learned to dismiss Dave's input) is to shame them. "I feel awful that I'm overweight. I hate not ever being able to eat cookies. And now I feel worse because, according to this guy (Dave), it's so easy to stay skinny and eat cookies and run well."

The problem with Dave is that he can't see even 1 inch beyond Dave.

He is the worst kind of influence to infrequent forum readers who come here to learn something.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
Slowman wrote:
1. dave is beanpole skinny which is pretty hard to be in your 60s.

I agree 100%. Even in your 40s. But Dave does NOT agree. On this and every other similar thread, he continues to sermonize "so easy!"

That is what I have a problem with. It is absolutely not easy for the majority of people who are interested in this topic. For those that have insulin sensitivity issues, it is quite difficult.

So Dave's impact on those people (those that haven't learned to dismiss Dave's input) is to shame them. "I feel awful that I'm overweight. I hate not ever being able to eat cookies. And now I feel worse because, according to this guy (Dave), it's so easy to stay skinny and eat cookies and run well."

The problem with Dave is that he can't see even 1 inch beyond Dave.

He is the worst kind of influence to infrequent forum readers who come here to learn something.

+1 please bring back someone truly malignant, like hotman637, to make Dave seem more benign

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
This thread will probably never end.

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, I think you are well-intended, but your logic and responses are largely failed (backing in) and inconsistent; you don't care what other people think, but then go on endlessly speaking about your performance comparatively. I realize that you are often responding to the firebombing after you post, but you certainly help to fan the flames.

As Slowman stated there may be "some" value in this approach along the periodization method, but this thread will never ferret that out.

Have you ever given any thought to the possibility that your performances and level of fitness are where they are "despite" your practices? Your diet is clearly aimed at weight management and although a piece of the puzzle may come at a cost? Maybe you are shorting yourself?

Good luck this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Have you ever given any thought to the possibility that your performances and level of fitness are where they are "despite" your practices? .

This^^^^ I feel you not find a single coach that would prescribe 3 hour workouts every single day and fasting afterwards. To become more fit, stimulus needs to be ever changing. Obviously although he is very proud of his runs and placings, he is most likely not coming close to potential.

I also have a pretty good sense that Dave comes on and posts such insane topics to get the attention. As they say in show business...."there's no such thing as bad attention (publicity)". I agree his suggestions can be a real detriment to any newbies who might try such silly things....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google has 12,200 reasons that it's important to refuel soon after exercise. But, you should just ignore all that and do you. You're probably different, and you certainly know best.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Dave, I think you are well-intended, but your logic and responses are largely failed (backing in) and inconsistent; you don't care what other people think, but then go on endlessly speaking about your performance comparatively. I realize that you are often responding to the firebombing after you post, but you certainly help to fan the flames.

As Slowman stated there may be "some" value in this approach along the periodization method, but this thread will never ferret that out.

Have you ever given any thought to the possibility that your performances and level of fitness are where they are "despite" your practices? Your diet is clearly aimed at weight management and although a piece of the puzzle may come at a cost? Maybe you are shorting yourself?

Good luck this weekend.

this was brought up earlier (I think) in this thread. My impression of Dave's post are basically look at me and that he is locked in on his approach to training. He will toss in how its not important how fast he is but always back that up with his amazing results. Also, to imply that his body type is "ideal" is disingenuous at best and possible harmful at worst,
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are definitely cases where it makes since to "refuel" after a workout.
There are definitely cases where it makes since to use "sports nutrition" during a race.

That said... ... these "cases " represent a tiny fraction of the calories that are consumed during training and racing.

MOST CALORIES that are consumed during and after training have NO POSITIVE EFFECT at all. They simply make fat people fatter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Losing weight is not difficult. Losing weight (when not overweight) and maintaining power and performance is the real art.

Yes, we can look at TDF climbers and emulate their body composition. With a bit of willpower you can get there. But, hardly and amateur would perform at his best at that weight. And certainly not with an approach of starvation and not fueling after workouts. When you wanna do that correctly then you need to bring in a lot of knowledge and self awareness.

It does not count to say "look how skinny I am and how good I do". Usually one could do better with a more conservative weight. I had started myself before and thought my results were good (because of it). Only when I gained some weight back did my performance make another significiant jump. And not in Triathlon but in running where a low weight is even more beneficial.

You would rather be three pounds above your most ideal racing weight than even one pound below. Because at your most ideal racing weight you theoretically perform at your best, but when you drill it a touch too far, things start to fall apart. At least in the long term.
It's a fine line. Pros that walk that line (what not everyone and certainly not every Triathlete does) get a lot of help in doing it. Wiggo for example did regular tests bakäck in 12 when being really thin so that it was not getting counterproductive. And we don't know what gray-area medical help he and others receive(d).

To sum up my point: You can ge t really lean (for example by not eating after training). But to use it for performance enhancing requires a bit more wits.
Otherwise it's likely to be counterproductive.
(Of course under the assumtion that you are not overweight, what I think is not a wide spread problem in a Triathlon forum)

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pfft....3 meals a day? You're an amateur. Why do you need to eat EVER?

http://nypost.com/...rgy-instead-of-food/
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
There are definitely cases where it makes since to use "sports nutrition" during a race.

That said... ... these "cases " represent a tiny fraction of the calories that are consumed during training and racing.

MOST CALORIES that are consumed during and after training have NO POSITIVE EFFECT at all. They simply make fat people fatter.

Yep right on the button

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Yep right on the button

Considering the number of posts Dave could have responded to, but chose to respond and quote this one, backs up everybody's argument that he's thriving off pushing people's buttons. For an infrequent reader/poster, I'm at least mildly entertained.

odpaul7 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Yep right on the button

Considering the number of posts Dave could have responded to, but chose to respond and quote this one, backs up everybody's argument that he's thriving off pushing people's bu
ttons. For an infrequent reader/poster, I'm at least mildly entertained.

Why? What value is there to try and have a person who clearly is a snowflake and only wants to do personal attacks and say their opinion is the only right one?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
odpaul7 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Yep right on the button

Considering the number of posts Dave could have responded to, but chose to respond and quote this one, backs up everybody's argument that he's thriving off pushing people's bu
ttons. For an infrequent reader/poster, I'm at least mildly entertained.

Why? What value is there to try and have a person who clearly is a snowflake and only wants to do personal attacks and say their opinion is the only right one?

You don't want to discuss with anyone, you just want to share your n=1 and find ways to promote yourself. Ironic that you throw around personal insults and labels in a post about not talking to people because they offer insults...

Have a good race, snowflake...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave, I truly consider it an honour to post in your interesting thread. You are definitely a funny and unique guy and I'm sure you probably mean well by everything you've written here. I'd also like to wish you the best of luck in your races this season; I both hope and expect you to crush the competition regardless of their age.

I do suspect and would suggest that you're really confusing the "snowflake" term... if, as you state, a snowflake is someone who would "say their opinion is the only right one" [sic.] then, presumably, this 'snowflake' thinks that everyone should think as they do and act as they do. In other words, everyone should be the same; but, that is exactly opposite of what the term snowflake suggests: which is unique and one-of-a-kind.

I don't think someone who "wants to do personal attacks" [sic.] is a characteristic of a 'snowflake' or not a characteristic of a 'snowflake'.

Regardless, probably just like yourself, I just smile when I hear people use words incorrectly again and again. Sometimes I'll let them know about it... but, other times I don't. It's just... well... Look, I'll leave at that Dave and just finish up this post so you can receive it before your 7pm bedtime tonight.

All the best!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - To clarify this whole issue, it might be helpful to post your daily training, eating, and sleep schedule. This might clear things up a bit. I don't think most readers are aware of your VERY early to bed, VERY early to rise schedule, nor of your meal times. Also, I would be curious how much you taper for races; since you seem to race very often, I'm guessing not a lot but surely you don't train 3 hr/day every day Mon-Sat and then race on Sun???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next