Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kreiger wrote:
The Telegraph as a source of sport/weight related information boad?

Now, logically. If you eat 3 times a day, the chances you are going to eat not long after a 3hr workout are pretty good.

Exactly this.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I qualified for 4 events in Penticton in August. How many of your friends have qualified for that many? I also qualified for Tri worlds but elected not to go.

18 people qualify for each event per age group - I think.

There were 18 people in the 60-64 age group at Duathlon Nationals last year.

Pretty good odds on qualifying. Finish the race and you are in....
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing reply. Impressed that you took the time to reply so eloquently!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finish the odd session so wrecked that I can't tie my shoe laces. I'm not sure which is a more bizarre concept... Not refueling and comprising the adaption and recovery that the session sought OR... Running @7:30 pace 'running bike studs down' and boasting about it.
Strange stuff. I doubt there are many on here who are strong and lean enough to need to go to such extremes to lose more weight without being able to clean up elsewhere.
I suspect if there are they could probably cover a 10k faster on their knees already.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Amazing reply. Impressed that you took the time to reply so eloquently!!

When I read this my first response was "why is he ridiculing me?"
I thought you were being sarcastic. Not sure why. I must just expect conflict on here!

Anyway, assuming you actually meant it - Thank you!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 14, 17 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I finish the odd session so wrecked that I can't tie my shoe laces. I'm not sure which is a more bizarre concept... Not refueling and comprising the adaption and recovery that the session sought OR... Running @7:30 pace 'running bike studs down' and boasting about it.
Strange stuff. I doubt there are many on here who are strong and lean enough to need to go to such extremes to lose more weight without being able to clean up elsewhere.
I suspect if there are they could probably cover a 10k faster on their knees already.

7:30 run pace is pretty slow

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

Pretty close to how I exercise. And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

And why not? Does anyone who is sane really recommend NOT replenishing after a three hour workout?

BTW: I've found it what you eat not when you don't eat that has more bearing on shedding the winter/holiday pounds.

Yeah I'm fatter than ever and I always exercise on an empty stomach. The problem is I never go to bed on an empty stomach.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Again, we are born with what we have. I will always suck on the bike.

And couldn't this be the case for those that are faster on the bike and slower on the run?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

And couldn't this be the case for those that are faster on the bike and slower on the run?

Yep, and compared to swimming also.

But why brag about a bike time if your swim and run suck in sport that needs the fastest of all three to the finish line.

Now for the DU this weekend, it will be the fastest of the two, so I still am screwed.

But for an Aquathlon, at least it has my two best legs. :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

But why brag about a bike time if your swim and run suck in sport that needs the fastest of all three to the finish line.

Now for the DU this weekend, it will be the fastest of the two, so I still am screwed.

And likewise, why brag about a run time if your swim and/or bike suck? A huge percentage of people I beat have faster (sometimes way faster) run splits than I do, but if I have a large enough gap coming off the bike, there's a chance I can beat them...

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

And likewise, why brag about a run time if your swim and/or bike suck? A huge percentage of people I beat have faster (sometimes way faster) run splits than I do, but if I have a large enough gap coming off the bike, there's a chance I can beat them...

I really only like to talk about finish times, everything else means nothing. Go for it, what are your finishing times, USAT rankings? Number of times All American?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I really only like to talk about finish times, everything else means nothing. Go for it, what are your finishing times, USAT rankings? Number of times All American?

Wow... Ask a simple question about why emphasizing bike over run splits isn't just as valid as your run over bike splits approach, and I get this. No wonder so many people think you are, to quote a post a page or two back, "a complete jackass". For someone who keeps saying "I am just out there having fun for myself" and that you're not really competing against others, you sure seem to need to constantly prove something.

Due to health issues, I haven't been able to actually train, let alone race, for quite some time. So no USAT standings for the last few years. In the 3 decades prior to that, I had a few dozen podium appearances, a few top 5/10/20 overall finishes, and even qualified for Team USA and Du World's, but declined. All of my age group wins over the years were achieved by having the fastest bike split, and often a significantly slower run split, than everyone else on the podium. But hey, all that and $4 will get me a latte at Starbucks. And that's about all your finishing times, USAT rankings, and number of times All American are worth, as well...

Last edited by: Warbird: Jun 14, 17 20:29
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

Pretty close to how I exercise. And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

And why not? Does anyone who is sane really recommend NOT replenishing after a three hour workout?

BTW: I've found it what you eat not when you don't eat that has more bearing on shedding the winter/holiday pounds.

Yeah I'm fatter than ever and I always exercise on an empty stomach. The problem is I never go to bed on an empty stomach.

Moving this discussion back to body composition and away from Dave's pride, I gotta acknowledge this haha. Because me too. I'm at like 184lbs and my mornings through about 7pm are perfect 7% body fat lifestyle. I should just go to bed at 7 and save myself to be honest

http://totalbodyfitness.com/...al-triathlon-1-2017/

Number of people ran significantly slower than you this past weekend, yet beat you because of the swim and the bike. The swim and bike matter, it's not a 10k.

Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's kind of sad reading how worked up he gets. One tends to notice that the people who are truly fast don't make those kinds of comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
This is an excellent response. There is so much talk about "fueling" in this sport that I think it is easy for triathletes to justify eating too much and gain weight. I put on weight over the last 10 years with too much focus on fueling and recovery nutrition and not enough on total calorie management. I got it under control last year with MyFitnessPal. So overall, my calorie level is down but the timing of those calories is still very important. I certainly eat a lot more often than Dave does at 3x per day, but his point about eating less overall is spot on.

Yep, we are all different and just need to find what works for each of us. But some just like to be fat.

I do once in a while after exercise get real hungry and sneak a few cookies, but boy do I feel guilty. But as long as that scale each night keeps me in race weight, I do not worry about.

Now tonight, it is out to dinner at Sizzler with root beer floats and lots of junk food, which is why I have cut back food the last 2 days.

Tell Shooter McGavin I said Hi

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
http://totalbodyfitness.com/...al-triathlon-1-2017/

Number of people ran significantly slower than you this past weekend, yet beat you because of the swim and the bike. The swim and bike matter, it's not a 10k.

And what are their ages?

You know it is quite an honor at my age to have folks compare me to such younger folks and ask why they beat me. I ask why they are so slow, meaning the top guy only beat me, and old 60 year guy, by 6 minutes. And why did this old guy have again the fastest run time. Why are the young folks so slow?

A 40:36 for a 10K on a hilly, dirt course is not too bad for an old guy, especially when I out ran the field. Yep, the wind on the bike with my disc and 808 killed me.

So you and others can brag about your bike times. I can brag about my run times. And I can brag about my finish times, especially compared to folks around my age. :)

We shall see how bad I get my butt kicked at bend in 2 days. But, I wonder how many are tough enough to try 3 races in 24 hours. That is what motivates me.

Last edited by: h2ofun: Jun 15, 17 4:38
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
It's kind of sad reading how worked up he gets. One tends to notice that the people who are truly fast don't make those kinds of comments.

Or maybe get attacks for any post I make.

Always fun to see the same snowflake bullies post when I do. Just so neat to be so special with them that they cannot just take their eyes away.

I sure do not go to threads and post just looking to fight with folks, but I guess that is just me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This might be a difference. IMO, I never do intense workouts in training. I save these for races, where yep, I pig out right when I am done."

19 minutes later...

"Yep, clearly my bike sucked last season. I guess you would not care that I had sciatica starting in Late Dec. all the way past June. So with the limited intense training I could do, I was very very happy I was able to race at all."

Well...which is it Dave?
Last edited by: gregn: Jun 15, 17 4:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

I really only like to talk about finish times, everything else means nothing. Go for it, what are your finishing times, USAT rankings? Number of times All American?[/quote] [/quote]

A 40:36 for a 10K on a hilly, dirt course is not too bad for an old guy, especially when I out ran the field. Yep, the wind on the bike with my disc and 808 killed me.[/quote]

h2ofun wrote:

And what are their ages?[/quote]

No....you don't only talk about finish times.

And......Mark Evans is 57, he beat you with a slower run time.

Give it a break, you come off like a total douche.
Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Jun 15, 17 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
...snowflake...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
INconceivable!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
"This might be a difference. IMO, I never do intense workouts in training. I save these for races, where yep, I pig out right when I am done."

19 minutes later...

"Yep, clearly my bike sucked last season. I guess you would not care that I had sciatica starting in Late Dec. all the way past June. So with the limited intense training I could do, I was very very happy I was able to race at all."

Well...which is it Dave?

Tough to race where i do my intensity when i could not walk when i got out of the car for the race .

I remember my first dus of the season. I could not get into the aerobars i hurt so bad. Then when i got of the bike i could mot move.

Last edited by: h2ofun: Jun 15, 17 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

I really only like to talk about finish times, everything else means nothing. Go for it, what are your finishing times, USAT rankings? Number of times All American?[/quote] [/quote]

A 40:36 for a 10K on a hilly, dirt course is not too bad for an old guy, especially when I out ran the field. Yep, the wind on the bike with my disc and 808 killed me.[/quote]

h2ofun wrote:

And what are their ages?[/quote]

No....you don't only talk about finish times.

And......Mark Evans is 57, he beat you with a slower run time.

Give it a break, you come off like a total

douche.[/quote]
And swim. :) he is just a young pup. :)

So i get beat. Who cares. I also got chicked by two gals. What is your point? We all know i am no good racing

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think the word is used to identify yourself as an internet douchebag to everyone else so in that respect he's using it pretty effectively.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
...snowflake...

Quote Reply

Prev Next