Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:

I've tried both, actually, although multiples in a day make me really REALLY careful about feeding and hydration -- but even if I'm doing one session a day, after a few days of being sloppy about initial recovery, I seem to dig a hole for myself, and pretty soon I don't even feel like moving. But if I'm careful about those 20 minutes, even if it's 150-200 calories, I am peppy all the time. Given that this tracks with the "conventional wisdom", I feel safe in assuming I am nowhere near alone in this experience.

If I am doing easy workouts once a day, I can be a lot more laissez faire about it, so I think you're right that over a day it's no biggie. (But as in the other posts, a lot of the debate was about a 3-hour session, which I'd never do without eating immediately after, even if I wanted to lose a ton of weight).

-E

This fits with my experience, too. I do two-a-days almost every day, and 3-a-days (typically morning swim lunch run, evening bike) 2 times a week. I'm almost NEVER more than 12 hours away from the next session. So, (re)fueling is always important to me. I can get away with just using larger regular meals for the morning swims, and z2 runs. But, for hard bike workouts like FTP intervals, or long Upper Steady efforts, and my long ride and run...its key for me to ensure I'm fueled (and refueled) before and after these. Otherwise, I just see a descending staircase of incomplete recovery between workouts. The legs get heavier, and heavier and the power/pace numbers for those workouts where they are key don't come up to par.

Sometimes I can time these before/after the next meal...which is fine. But, if not then I will ensure I eat something before/after as needed.

Now that I'm down to race-weight (150 lbs), I never intentionally fast for weight management. I prefer to finish my workouts balanced on calories....and eat regular means (adjusted slightly to gain/lose as desired). If I need to lose a pound or two (after holidays or whatever), I never create a deficit larger than 500 cal/day (1 lb / week). I find even that to clearly compromises my ability to repeat day-after-day.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You calling other people snowflakes is hilariously ironic since you seem to take so much pride in being unique and doing things differently from others.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread will probably never end.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think snowflake is better than bully, but some on ST seem to be both. :)

For what it's worth, I don't think there is anything wrong with not eating after a workout. A lot of runners/triathletes are overweight because they believe "I exercised so I can eat whatever I want" is ridiculous and your approach is better than that. I little snack (with a corresponding decrease in your next meal) would be better in my opinion but eating 3 meals a day is much better than eating 6 (your body secretes insulin after every meal and insulin makes you fat).

I really could care less about being faster!! .\

Don't you mean, "I really couldn't care less" :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:
Please never recommend to anyone to not eat after a 3 hour workout. That's the best way to go backwards.

Generally any diet related advice coming from Dave should be ignored...

Seriously.....as if I would take heathy diet advice from a person who dines at Denny's

Think that there are plenty of top endurance athletes with optimal body comp who don't eat the way H20 Fun is eating......

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
noofus wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:
Please never recommend to anyone to not eat after a 3 hour workout. That's the best way to go backwards.

Seriously.....as if I would take heathy diet advice from a person who dines at Denny's

Think that there are plenty of top endurance athletes with optimal body comp who don't eat the way H20 Fun is eating......

And a disclaimer it seems for age because I imagine being that old you metabolism is almost at a standstill and maybe you can get away with it???
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JT_Dennen wrote:
Maybe not full on scientific, but I'll say this is stupid. My evidence behind this is the fact that I put myself into a four year hole of severe overtraining syndrome. The fact that I was training long hours and not eating enough just broke me. Its only now four years later that I feel "normal" again. Now I'm sure you won't believe this, so to each their own, but I know that there is no way in hell I would not eat something right after extended intense exercise.

This might be a difference. IMO, I never do intense workouts in training. I save these for races, where yep, I pig out right when I am done.

And since I have never overtrained, (Other than when I was training for IMLT :) ), I have never dug a hole that I tried to get out of.

I just do not understand why so many have to always say but they are always right and there is NO way any other method might work for others, even if it is ONLY me. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quadlt250 wrote:
You calling other people snowflakes is hilariously ironic since you seem to take so much pride in being unique and doing things differently from others.

Yep, I do like not being a lemming.

But, I sure do not try to shove down anyone's throat my opinion, compared to snowflakes.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I do think snowflake is better than bully, but some on ST seem to be both. :)

For what it's worth, I don't think there is anything wrong with not eating after a workout. A lot of runners/triathletes are overweight because they believe "I exercised so I can eat whatever I want" is ridiculous and your approach is better than that. I little snack (with a corresponding decrease in your next meal) would be better in my opinion but eating 3 meals a day is much better than eating 6 (your body secretes insulin after every meal and insulin makes you fat).

I really could care less about being faster!! .\

Don't you mean, "I really couldn't care less" :)

My grammar sucks :)

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey wrote:
noofus wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:

I eat a Sizzler much more often, just got back from there tonight.

Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm female and I aged up to 50-54 AG this year. I've been racing well this season and have been told that my body comp is good. I eat before and after every workout. I think that it's more important to eat nutritionally dense food and eat the proper macronutrient ratio for whatever your activity level is rather than fasting pre and post long workouts. It works for me and I'm guessing that it works for most *aging* athletes :)

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/exercising-empty-stomach-secret-weight-loss/

Pretty close to how I exercise. And I do not eat anything after my 3 hour workouts.

you need a new user name....how about "Click Bait Dave"?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From you: "who cares about being weak on the bike, I race Triathlons, and it is all about getting to the finish."

You choose to be weak at a portion of a triathlon/duathlon that makes up 50% of the swim time. That's fine. My point is that the overall winner of the race proclaimed that he won the race on the bike. He's not as good a runner as other elites. I never said he was in your age group. You lost 7 minutes in what was a 33 minute bike segment for the top finishers in your age group. That is a huge percentage, regardless of what you did the morning of, the day before...you did really well in the run segments, comparatively, given that you raced earlier. Kudos for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
From you: "who cares about being weak on the bike, I race Triathlons, and it is all about getting to the finish."

You choose to be weak at a portion of a triathlon/duathlon that makes up 50% of the swim time. That's fine. My point is that the overall winner of the race proclaimed that he won the race on the bike. He's not as good a runner as other elites. I never said he was in your age group. You lost 7 minutes in what was a 33 minute bike segment for the top finishers in your age group. That is a huge percentage, regardless of what you did the morning of, the day before...you did really well in the run segments, comparatively, given that you raced earlier. Kudos for that.

Yep, clearly my bike sucked last season. I guess you would not care that I had sciatica starting in Late Dec. all the way past June. So with the limited intense training I could do, I was very very happy I was able to race at all.

This year I go into the race with a pulled groin. No excuse, but will see. I still expect to suck on the bike.
Sat shall be fun since the 60 year old guys start 15 minutes before the next group. I will be able to see who is kicking my butt in front of me. Sure going to give it all I can to not lose so much time on the bike, and catch them on the run. I love the fun of the chase. All I really want are the TeamUSA tickets for Demark, so I really do not care if I am 18th.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
This is an excellent response. There is so much talk about "fueling" in this sport that I think it is easy for triathletes to justify eating too much and gain weight. I put on weight over the last 10 years with too much focus on fueling and recovery nutrition and not enough on total calorie management. I got it under control last year with MyFitnessPal. So overall, my calorie level is down but the timing of those calories is still very important. I certainly eat a lot more often than Dave does at 3x per day, but his point about eating less overall is spot on.

Yep, we are all different and just need to find what works for each of us. But some just like to be fat.

I do once in a while after exercise get real hungry and sneak a few cookies, but boy do I feel guilty. But as long as that scale each night keeps me in race weight, I do not worry about.

Now tonight, it is out to dinner at Sizzler with root beer floats and lots of junk food, which is why I have cut back food the last 2 days.

You have an eating disorder and are a complete jackass...I'll take snowflake over that any day of the week.

PS...learn to write properly and check your posts, they are often extremely difficult to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I read the article and my experience is 100% copy, right down to the green tea.

I disagree that weight loss follows though. Imo weight "control" is a complex psychologically-based equation. I've been running a chart to reduce weight before the end of this month.

To make losses stick, I had to re-wire habits more than anything - with some limited success. I dropped ~5% in 3 weeks.

I added weight training too, a simple/basic weight bar circuit I found on youtube. Muscles need to worked in a variety of ways and it's so beneficial.

I look at our dogs as a good example..Lots of exercise, two meals a day. Lean and mean. Left to their own devices or with unlimited supply dogs will eat until they practically burst..

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article doesn't cite any specific studies nor quote any experts on the topic. It is an opinion piece.

I employ some of the same tactics you do, namely avoiding extra recovery calories outside of a proper meal. However, sometimes it's unavoidable. I could've guessed before you posted that your workouts are likely low aerobic because there's no way you could recover from anything harder. This makes sense since you have said you are OK maintaining fitness rather than improving. If you wanted to improve, then you'd likely need to incorporate harder sessions and fuel accordingly. But you are stubborn and won't accept the possibility that your approach, while it may "work", may not be the best approach.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I guess you would not care that I had sciatica starting in Late Dec. all the way past June. So with the limited intense training I could do, I was very very happy I was able to race at all.

Your guess is wrong. Have a fantastic race (races) and enjoy your time here.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
...There's a window of maximal carbs -> glycogen replenishment that's around 20 minutes after a session. I find as long as I respect that, I can stack up a lot of sessions one after the other and my performance doesn't degrade. If I don't, I get feeling flat, hungry, and lethargic pretty quickly...

Are you talking about stacking up multiple hard workouts in a day? As I understand it the "window" makes no difference if you have a day or so to recover -- given a day your body will replenish blood glycogen just fine even without 200 calories within 20 minutes.

This is correct, muscle glycogen stores are usually returned to normal after around 8 hours of just eating via a normal meal schedule.

It's interesting that everyone jumped on here straight away to bag the OP. Sure most things Dave posts are not what I would call great advice, but this isn't too far off the mark depending on the athletes training schedule. If Dave is doing one session a day, he doesn't really need to make use of higher glycogen replenishment rates in the 30 min post training. However if he is doing two or more sessions per day, it's likely that not replenishing will compromise the next workout that day.

Timing is actually far less critical for body composition, it's far more important to look at total calorie and macro intake over the whole week, day to day. Apart from ensuring adequate muscle glycogen for two or more sessions in a day, there's no need to eat straight after a workout
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest concern going on here is that you have some very disordered eating thoughts (don't know enough to call it an eating disorder, but wouldn't be surprised).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave you have no fat to lose. You are one of the tallest and skinniest guys I've seen at races. I would bet if you took in some quality post training nutrition, esp protein and put on 5-8lbs you would get faster on bike and lose next to nothing on run. Remember it's about all three, not just run.

Last edited by: JustinNorCal: Jun 13, 17 22:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great results - keep doing what works for you and ignore the keyboard bullies.
Quote Reply
Re: Why exercising on an empty stomach is the secret to weight loss [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
...There's a window of maximal carbs -> glycogen replenishment that's around 20 minutes after a session. I find as long as I respect that, I can stack up a lot of sessions one after the other and my performance doesn't degrade. If I don't, I get feeling flat, hungry, and lethargic pretty quickly...

Are you talking about stacking up multiple hard workouts in a day? As I understand it the "window" makes no difference if you have a day or so to recover -- given a day your body will replenish blood glycogen just fine even without 200 calories within 20 minutes.

This is correct, muscle glycogen stores are usually returned to normal after around 8 hours of just eating via a normal meal schedule.

It's interesting that everyone jumped on here straight away to bag the OP. Sure most things Dave posts are not what I would call great advice, but this isn't too far off the mark depending on the athletes training schedule. If Dave is doing one session a day, he doesn't really need to make use of higher glycogen replenishment rates in the 30 min post training. However if he is doing two or more sessions per day, it's likely that not replenishing will compromise the next workout that day.

Timing is actually far less critical for body composition, it's far more important to look at total calorie and macro intake over the whole week, day to day. Apart from ensuring adequate muscle glycogen for two or more sessions in a day, there's no need to eat straight after a workout

This I agree with. Unless you're doing 2 INTENSE sessions in a day, there is no reason to eat straight after workouts. I do all my training fasted first thing in the morning and my first 'meal' is lunch. I'll have a small protein shake after morning training, but that is all. I know full well that glycogen stores will easily be topped up for the next INTENSE session.

After all, this article is advise. Take it or leave it. Plus, in addition, everyone has different hunger levels and nutritional requirements. How one person eats/drinks, should have little or no bearing on your purpose and direction. If you want to pig out after working out, go for it. If you're not hungry and just fancy water; you're call.

Simples.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
....The way I look at it is if I eat after my workouts, and since total food for the day is what impacts weight, this would mean I have to eat less at my other meals, which currently I have no desire to eliminate my cookies and ice cream.

Now, for ME, if I found this impacted my performance, yep, I would change.....
Serious question. If you have always done things this way and have no plan to change, how will you know whether or not it effects your performance compared with another strategy. If you only ever do things the way you always do them, you will never see a problem with it, because you're comparing this strategy only to itself. Can you please explain how you would ever know if it was not the best strategy for you. If you want to do it this way, that's fine. But to suggest that you know it doesn't impact your performance when, as far as I can tell, you cannot, seems silly.
h2ofun wrote:
....I really could care less about being faster!! I was talking to the 2 time gold medal 70-74 AG at the last race. We both laughed about comments from folks about getting faster. He said at our age, our goal is to try and not slow down as much, let alone, stay healthy to just get to the starting line. I am just amazed how many fewer racers I now race against in the 60-64 AG. And how slow, especially in the run, most are.

Assuming I am healthy this weekend in Bend, it will be real interesting to see folks in my AG race results. Now since I plan to try and race all three, I can already see from this thread that some will cherry pick the results that want to compare me against. :) And since I want to be at race weight, I am back to full court press reducing the food intake to get the weight off before Sat and Sunday. Fatter does not make one faster on the run.
Do you not see that this is all confused self contradiction?
You claim you don't care about being faster but keep telling us you're a fast runner, leading to fastest overall times and therefore your strategy is the best.
You claim your finishing positions vindicate your opinions but then talk about how few race your AG. How few? Enough that your results may not be statistically relevant - honest question: I don't know.
Then you're back to talking about how slow most are on the run.....having just claimed not to care about being faster.
While you may perform well, your arguments are big on opinion and claims to authority and low on logical argument and solid statistics or research.

Regarding the snowflakes thing: That term is thankfully not used, except to describe water crystals, in Ireland (where I live) and I've only come across it in US and very occasionally British media, mostly online. What is this problem you guys have where you're obsessed with labelling everyone so you can just toss them into a category that you've allowed yourself ignore. It's the laziest and most ignorant of behaviour. It's the root of most social and political difficulties at, especially in the US IMO. It obviously happens elsewhere too, but you guys are taking it to extremes. Just stop it with the good guys/bad guys shit. No-one fits cleanly into either category. Everyone's a bit of both (even terrorists!) The problems just get bigger when you indulge your ignorance with this bull. Everyone gets more self-righteous and more extreme and the whole world turns to shit. Stop blaming "snowflakes". You and people like you are the problem. People willing to ignore debate and just claim righteousness. And lots of those you're calling "snowflakes" are guys just like you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Telegraph as a source of sport/weight related information?

Now, logically. If you eat 3 times a day, the chances you are going to eat not long after a 3hr workout are pretty good.
Last edited by: Kreiger: Jun 14, 17 5:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next