Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating?
Quote | Reply
Flatted today and after inflating the replaced tube with an Xlab nanoflator I couldn't get it off of the valve stem. I had to pull extremely hard and it eventually popped off but I feel like it got stuck on there somehow.

This was my first time using the nanoflator - is there some trick to making it release more smoothly? Does it need to be in the open or closed position? I tried toggling it but didn't seem to make a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it get really cold and freeze onto the stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could easily just be due to freezing. If you're curious, look up 'throttling a gas'. That'll explain the freezing to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
is there some trick to making it release more smoothly?
Patience. Or hold your fingers on it to warm it up a little. It's just frozen.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep makes sense. Was definitely frozen.

What's best practice for these inflators? Screw in the CO2 cartridge in the closed position, attach to stem and then open the inflator>?

Thanks to all for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know which inflater you have but with mine I screw the CO2 cartridge in all the way, press the inflater onto the valve stem and then unscrew the cartridge a little bit to let the gas in. Mine doesn't require you to screw the inflater onto the valve stem.

I fill it about half way, warm the valve stem with my fingers, then fill it the rest of the way. It's better when it's dryer or colder outside. Hot humid days it freezes the most.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I do the same thing.

Screw it in all the way, put it on the presta valve with pressure, unscrew the cartridge a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your nanoflator red & black or is it all black? We switched designs and they both function differently. If you have a red/black one you basically unthread the black knob attached to the valve when you want to take it off...so basically the opposite way to the way you threaded it onto the valve.

I am reading our instructions and we do not explain this, so I apologize for that, and will make sure they get updated.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating? [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for jumping in Candice -

I have the red and black version. So just to confirm: put in "closed" position, screw in CO2, attach to valve stem, move into the open position to let CO2 into tire?

And I can see that the end which attaches to the valve stem is threaded as well. Should I be screwing the nanoflator onto the valve stem or can I just push it on there like I am using a regular pump?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No prob! So here is the complete install/uninstall process:

1. Put the black knob into the closed position.
2. Screw the CO2 onto the nanoflator
3. Thread/screw the nanoflator unit onto the valve stem, ensuring it is fully secured onto the valve.
4. Slowly move the black knob towards the open position, controlling the amount of air flow into your tire.
5. Next move the black knob back into the closed position (this helps if there is a bit left in the cartridge).
6. With the CO2 still attached, unthread the nanoflator from the valve. Do not pull up on it as it was threaded onto the valve in Step 3.
7. To make sure the CO2 is fully used, you can move the black knob to open to expel any additional air.
- Make sure the CO2 cartridge is fully empty before removing the cartridge from the Nanoflator unit.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: Why does my CO2 inflator get stuck on the valve after inflating? [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - this is helpful and in-line with what I thought but its reassuring and helps avoid the mini heart attacks I've had worrying I'll screw it up 50 miles from home.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I can help avoid a heart attack and if you ever have questions, feel free to ping me on here!

We do offer the Tire Mate as well, which is a CO2 inflator and mini pump. Yes it would take a bit to inflate a tire, but it is a back up ;) Perhaps ask for it as a gift!

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Cool - this is helpful and in-line with what I thought but its reassuring and helps avoid the mini heart attacks I've had worrying I'll screw it up 50 miles from home.

Thanks again.

Looking for a new inflator for my first IM race as mine no longer works. How do you like the nanoflator? Has it been reliable? Any other users out there, please chime in.
Quote Reply