Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why does Torhans fail so often
Quote | Reply

I'm on my third bottle, after two suffered from cracks during use. Yesterday at Malibu Tri I hit a bump and the AeroMount cracked apart.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does Torhans fail so often [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up on them after 3 broke in a single season. I like their stuff, but it doesn't do me any good if the bracket brakes every couple of months. I know they are covered by warranty, but it just isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X-lab is the way to go! Their customer service is excellent even for the slightest inquiry.
Quote Reply
Re: Why does Torhans fail so often [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have all kinds of xlab, including the bottle holder for aerobars, which is excellent. But I like Torhans. Actually I like speedfil, which never fails and is super simple, but I use Torhans mostly in races. Unbelievably fragile stuff though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you epoxy that bracket? Wouldnt hinge anymore but does it have to?

Better yet, get a carbon kit off eBay for $25 and make a new bracket...

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Why does Torhans fail so often [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may try Torhans just one more time, since I already have the bottle and a bracket is only $20. But man, hitting a bump shouldn't kill a bracket. They really must use cheap plastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you keep getting the duds? I've had mine mounted for 3+ years in all kinds of nasty. The only thing I've had to replace is the front velcro.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why does Torhans fail so often [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Seriously? Twice I've had the bottle split on the seams. And now the bracket broke apart. Maybe I have been unlucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is weird. I've had the aero 20/30 for years with no issues. Uses the aeroz for two seasons with no issues either. And been using the DA bottle/cage for years as well. Don't buy another bracket until you contact them. They're really good about repairs and all that.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Seriously?
---

Yeah. I won 2 of them as door prizes (lucky day for me) during a race about 3 years ago. Haven't opened the second one yet.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why does Torhans fail so often [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my GF has been using hers for 2 years now (maybe 3) with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on number 3. One broke after about a year on training ride. unfortunately one broke during boulder this year. I taped the crap out of the mount for and then taped the bottle to the mount for CDA. When this one breaks I'm done with torhans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also had mine for about three years. I've had one bracket failure which was replaced last year FOC by Torhans. Apparently the material used in the original brackets has been updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

I'm on my third bottle, after two suffered from cracks during use. Yesterday at Malibu Tri I hit a bump and the AeroMount cracked apart.

I've gone through a number of them with the front lock strap tab or tabs broken off. Then I started looping small key chain loops through the front instead. My wife had a new one break free turning onto Palani in Kona last year:( Pretty tough way to start the bike there mentally. At one of the early aid stations a local had a roll of duct tape nearby and he taped the shit out of the thing so it stayed on the rest of the race with no aero properties remaining. She blasted the mount on FB after the race and that got her one replacement mount supposedly made of new material as Marky mentions below.

Torhans promised replacements for the other mounts in the house, but they never came through and follow up was ignored. This must be why mine decided to fail on the first bridge crossing at Santa Rosa 70.3 early this year. At least with my undermount configuration it just tilted about 45° and stayed put. I kept thinking about the extra aero drag the rest of the race...

Mine failed like your's in the photo. The above bar configuration with extensions that are a bit wider seem to fail more often. With the wings straight up between narrower extensions mine lasted quite a while (front tabs notwithstanding). I'd say we've been through 5 or 6 mounts at this point. I've modified the Torhans bottles and caps with various treatments so they don't leak nutrition everywhere or lose caps during races. The last weak point are the mounts. I keep meaning to see about having something custom cut, but haven't found the time. It is too bad the PD mounts aren't a direct fit because their latest evolution is very well made and has clamps that bolt to the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered an aero water bottle and mount....I pulled the cap off the bottle and it broke...I asked for a replacement---must be a 50cent piece and they said I could order one on-line-- BAD SERVICE and cheap product
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up on them. Terrible products.
They look great but clearly they are not testing these products properly.

The bento box is impossible to get your fingers into. No, I should not have to modify the product to make it work. Get an Xlab or other zippered bento.

The aero downtube bottle can't be cleaned deep down in the corners, and the mouth piece breaks far too easily. Again, go with Xlab.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is this company still in business? Seriously, if these guys can continue to turn a profit given the overwhelmingly horrible reviews on every e-commerce site where their products are sold then the triathlon retail industry is truly alive and well. I bought the original Aero 30 and it leaked horribly due to a faulty design so I took it back to my LBS. Not surprised your clamps failed as it is made from cheap plastic, and the strap used to secure the bottle in the front is a joke. The 'leak proof' gen 2 bottle is much better in terms of managing spills, but still more trouble than it is worth in my opinion. I would have tried the aero Z but couldn't find a single review that said the straw would stay attached. Oh, and I also tried their bento box and found it near impossible to actually get anything in or out so I trashed it.

In terms of front hydration I learned the hard way after wasting god knows how much money that absolutely nothing beats a simple bottle cage mounted BTA. It takes two seconds to take a sip from the bottle and put it back and you can easily replace it on the course. Of course, you won't save 6 minutes on your next 10 mile time trial like the Torhans, but other than that you're good :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to pile on and beat the dead horse but for the sake of somebody coming hear looking for a product review, I wanted to share my experience. It started off great, but ended on a sour note.

I had the grey Torhans 30. I broke the bottle a little over 1 year and went through 2 bottle mounts in that time, each one cracked near the aerobar part of the mount. They are just not that durable in their current build. They also became extremely hard to maneuver due to spilled drink getting in to the inlets for the screws as time goes on.

As for the bottle, it does hold a lot of fluid which I liked and is aero from the front. From the side however, it was a sail and I definitely noticed a front end control difference riding that bottle vs a standard bottle BTA if there were any cross winds. It was easy to fill, but did leak fluid from the top if you filled it up too high. 30oz bottle, but over 24oz of liquid and you're going to have it all over your cockpit.

I switched to a Xlab Torpedo Versa - all problems solved.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Why does Torhans fail so often [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it for Oly, it's the only bottle I carry, fill it up once, I'm set. Seems though there is the consensus thesr products are not very durable and if I buy another it's just going to break again, and who knows when or how.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the torpedo and the 30 since 2015 and have had no issues other than putting tape about the rear of the torpedo to keep the straw in place. Used the 30 for a full last year and a half this past weekend. I ride an E 118 and like the bracket mount between the bars. It works to keep the bars in place. Up in New Paltz I hit a pothole that that dropped my whole base bar, skis pointed toward my front hub and the bracket held up fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone wants to sell me a bottle. Pm me

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply