Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do pros use training wheels
Quote | Reply
By "training wheels" I mean non-aero wheels.

We hear people say train with your race gear but pros don't seem to... why?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro I'm friends with had two reasons. One was superstition, and two the powertap was on the training wheel. Everyone probably has their own reasons. Maybe they are worried about unexpected failure in a race due to training wear and tear?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Maybe they are worried about unexpected failure in a race due to training wear and tear?"

This would be my guess. Most cycling teams and pro triathletes are on shoestring budgets and probably can't withstand the hit of replacing race wheels a few times a year. They likely put more in more mileage than even the most dedicated amateurs so a $300 pair of wheels will do the trick with the fancier stuff for racing and/or testing purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

I don't think anybody actually takes the bolded literally, as in all the time. Pros or amateurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

I'm definitely not pro - but I like the both physical and mental boost from putting the race gear on. Fast tires, wheels; I know they are faster than what I've been training on for no additional effort.

Also, wear and tear on race gear!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:

I'm definitely not pro - but I like the both physical and mental boost from putting the race gear on. Fast tires, wheels; I know they are faster than what I've been training on for no additional effort.

Brent

Same to both. Also, race gear is designed to make you go fast. Sometimes going faster in training isn't necessarily beneficial. If I can do intervals at 250-300 watts and only go 20-22 mph because of slower equipment, that's safer and easier to manage terrain than going 24-26 mph. I often ride my cyclocross or mountain bike with athletes on the road so that I'm getting a Z2 long ride at the same time they are. It's a great equalizer. You don't want to try anything new on race day but I'm a big fan of saving the top-end race gear for the race. Same reason swimmers don't shave until big meets and runners save their favorite socks for big meets. It's a psychological boost.

Mark Saroni
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [thetrilife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the reasoning behind having more durable tires or a non aero helmet for the training miles. However, I'm not sold on age groupers not riding our nice stuff all of the time. Many of us only race a handful of events a year so buying an expensive pair of wheels that we will only use sparingly seems like a waste (unless that person keeps their same wheels for several years.....which they won't because someone "better" will debut 1-2 years later). My earlier post was more geared towards pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

Although it is important to become familiar with your race gear you shouldn't regularly train on it. The exception is aero wheels for the sheer reason to be comfortable with the handling of deep rims and wind. The main reason is often times your race gear is minimalist in design. Thinking racing flats versus training shoes you might use for a long-run. You don't run your 2 hour long run in racing flats. There is additional risk in doing so. When it comes to bikes, frankly you want to keep everything running as smooth as possible and more use means more dirt / grime that gets in there and wears things like bearings etc.

Also some people prefer the aluminum braking surface to carbon as it is better braking. As others have said as well, I often want more resistance while training outside. While many in a group ride will use a Conti GP4000 tire, I bring a big heavy cross bike with rear rack, baskets, and 42mm slow-rolling tires. It gives me better workout than I would otherwise get.

Lastly having race wheeels and non-race wheels means you can keep the tires and tubes on the race wheels versus having to switch them out before the race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you look at the Pro field, and I mean every person with a pro card, you'll see that they're not loaded with cash. They're not like typical professional athletes that can spend a virtually unlimited amount of money on gear. If you're a pro and you don't work a full time job, chances are that you're not taking in too much money. It's just not a sport where athletes rake in cash. I think that they don't train on race wheels because the risk outweights the reward.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Slow Poke wrote:
I understand the reasoning behind having more durable tires or a non aero helmet for the training miles. However, I'm not sold on age groupers not riding our nice stuff all of the time. Many of us only race a handful of events a year so buying an expensive pair of wheels that we will only use sparingly seems like a waste (unless that person keeps their same wheels for several years.....which they won't because someone "better" will debut 1-2 years later). My earlier post was more geared towards pros.

All great comments and perspectives. For me personally, as a regular AG fella, I'm with you on this as it pertains to wheels. If anything, us AGers that dont train and race as much should be out there riding a deeper front wheel and be comfortable handling it. It makes all the difference on a windy race day. For all the other race day gear, yeah I'll likely save it for race day. My race kit is not nearly as comfortable on long rides as my cycling bibs or non-aero helmet :)

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [N2176T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better overall training to use traing wheels... more duration in a effort. 280w on race whhels will have your workout over faster, so less time spent dong 280w. And the cost/maintenance issue is a no brainer. Plus time lost when using race tire that flats 5 times in a 100miler is slower than no flats on gatorskins. (A reason why you dont like group rides)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a pro, but I use training wheels while training largely because they're easier to change flats with. No messing around with valve extenders or extra-long stems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:

I don't know any triathletes—AGers and local ITU/WTC pros—who use their race-day setup except on race day. Using race gear for training only introduces unnecessary risk of flats, mechanicals, general wear, etc.

Personally:
I'm saving the $120 tireset wrapped around my $4000 disc/deep-front wheelset for raceday-only use.
I want to minimize any wear on my tires, and cassette, so they are always race-ready.
I don't want to have to true my front wheel, or expose my disc to any additional risk of damage from *anything* (eg, flying cinders from other cyclists, motor vehicles, etc.)

I do an almost-weekly prologue-length TT series in April/May/June. This only exposes my setup to minimal additional wear, and it offers an opportunity to practice handling in all conditions: snow/rain/winds/95F°+ temps.

I train on 38mm carbon wheels; I never have to change brake pads.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 3, 17 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:

Although it is important to become familiar with your race gear you shouldn't regularly train on it. The exception is aero wheels for the sheer reason to be comfortable with the handling of deep rims and wind. The main reason is often times your race gear is minimalist in design. Thinking racing flats versus training shoes you might use for a long-run. You don't run your 2 hour long run in racing flats. There is additional risk in doing so. When it comes to bikes, frankly you want to keep everything running as smooth as possible and more use means more dirt / grime that gets in there and wears things like bearings etc.

Also some people prefer the aluminum braking surface to carbon as it is better braking. As others have said as well, I often want more resistance while training outside. While many in a group ride will use a Conti GP4000 tire, I bring a big heavy cross bike with rear rack, baskets, and 42mm slow-rolling tires. It gives me better workout than I would otherwise get.

Lastly having race wheeels and non-race wheels means you can keep the tires and tubes on the race wheels versus having to switch them out before the race

Your last reason in bold is my number 1 reason. The second reason for my the the psychological boost of using race gear only on race day. Third reason is I want to go slower in training off the same watts. It makes every uphill longer and every downhill shorter which is a good for training. Going slower is always more safe too in the event of a crash. Final reason for me is wear and tear on my good wheels but realistically, good race wheels are pretty bomb proof.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Slow Poke wrote:

Myself for one will be keeping my aero wheels for as long as they'll last. For me, I only want to get through my goal of doing an IM (only HIMs and below to this point) and then I will probably ride with my aero wheels more frequently and when they're done. That's it. I don't plan on spending that kind of money again. On this forum, I may be the exception in that regard.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AGer here, I do 90% of my training indoors, so whenever I do go out I ride my racing wheelset, especially if I'm close to a race, just to make sure bike is set up correctly. Also, I hate messing around with my brakes when switching to my training wheels as I have to change brake pads and cable tension.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [thetrilife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrilife wrote:
dfru wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:

Brent

Same to both. Also, race gear is designed to make you go fast. Sometimes going faster in training isn't necessarily beneficial. If I can do intervals at 250-300 watts and only go 20-22 mph because of slower equipment, that's safer and easier to manage terrain than going 24-26 mph. I often ride my cyclocross or mountain bike with athletes on the road so that I'm getting a Z2 long ride at the same time they are. It's a great equalizer. You don't want to try anything new on race day but I'm a big fan of saving the top-end race gear for the race. Same reason swimmers don't shave until big meets and runners save their favorite socks for big meets. It's a psychological boost.

And for me in reverse. I love the process of setting the bike up with race wheels, chain and cassette - cleaning and double checking everything. But I LOVE the reverse too - the bike goes from speed machine to utilitarian work tool - it just says to me - "let's get some serious WORK done!"

That could just be me, but I love her in both her racing splendor AND training mode! Dress her up and take her out, but she looks damn good in sweatpants too! ;)

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I normally use training wheels, but just picked up a mint condition $300 Planetx 100/90 wheelset for my new BMC TM02. Purely for aesthetic reasons though. Awesome looking bike that just looked crap with training wheels!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I normally use training wheels, but just picked up a mint condition $300 Planetx 100/90 wheelset for my new BMC TM02. Purely for aesthetic reasons though. Awesome looking bike that just looked crap with training wheels!

I totally get that - those bikes were made for race wheels. The training wheels just scream old fashioned let's do work like we are Rocky or something.

But the bike always looks best with race wheels :)

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes my old Rovals and DA 24 look like dogpoo on my BMC TM01, so much so I could not take it anymore. Took the Enve 4.5s off the road bike and bam the TT Rig looks nice again. As much fiddling I have to do to get the Super9 disc not to rub my well worn brake pads, I'm tempted to leave the disc on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most teams (especially at the lower level) can't afford to replace expensive equipment in the event of it wearing out or breaking. Some of the pros I lived with had "training bikes" with Ultegra mechanical groups and aluminum wheels, but had the exact same frame with Dura ace and aero wheels that stayed with the team for race days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with many on here who like to train on slower gear and keep the race day gear fresh. I have a 2010 pair of Zipp 808s that still ride like new after many years of racing simply because I don't train on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a historical factor to it. Back in the day (80's), wheels weren't nearly as durable; and this was especially true for race wheels. Your training wheels might have 36 14gauge spokes, while your race wheels might have lighter rims and 28 15gauge spokes. Heavy training on race wheels would ruin them.

These days the materials in wheels are much higher quality, so training on race wheels is viable....but traditions live on.

FWIW, bumped into two continental pros yesterday and sure enough, 32-spoke (round) box rims....while I had HED J9s.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do everything on my race wheels. Makes no difference. I clean everything before a race and change tires if worn. I don't see the point for different training gear.

Except speedsuit. Those don't last long.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros use training wheels [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm talking about guys like Michael Weiss (3x ironman champion).

Cost shouldn't be much of a factor as he's sponsored. It's like he is driving a Ferrari with New York taxi rims....Can't be great for marketing neither.

I've seen this more than once with Ironman champs training in training wheels. I think slower and safer could be a good reason.
Quote Reply

Prev Next