Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think
Quote | Reply
they are prepared to safely swim a 2.4 mile open water swim where conditions cannot be controlled? Why? Hubris?...I mean its bad enough most do not feel comfortable without a wetsuit.
This is supposed do be an ultra endurance event.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does pace per 100 meters have to do with preparedness to swim 2.4 safely.?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots. Next please.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello snobby. While the longest I've gone is HIM (so who am I to speak up), I feel comfortable and safe in open water, regardless of how fast/slow I am. Except for those damn snapping turtles....crazy bastards those are.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was in pink right? ............................You did put the word swim in your response. That kind of means some kind of effective propulsion
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not snobby.....I am talking saftey. Glad you are comfortable. However when the condition are like St George for safety reasons it helps
to know how to "Swim" in forward motion. Kinda like planning to "Run" a marathon at a 20 minute per mile pace. I have no problem with someone doing it, but its not running.
If you cannot hold a certain pace you are not a very good swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am calling Oprah on you - elitist jerk

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about that "Oz" guy ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
2:00 per hundred is elitist, we are really lowering the bar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because a wetsuit adds buoyancy making the race way easier than training in the pool

Sponsored by -- Whoever tips at my coffee shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. In addition to the crappy swimmers, lets disqualify all those fat slobs who can't bike better than 5:30 (anything less than 20 mph avg. is just soft pedaling) and all those shufflers who can't run under 4:00 (Oprah can break 4 can't she?). And when you put them together if you're not under 11 hrs in total, you should just find another sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [Pedalsaurus-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedalsaurus-Tex wrote:
I agree. In addition to the crappy swimmers, lets disqualify all those fat slobs who can't bike better than 5:30 (anything less than 20 mph avg. is just soft pedaling) and all those shufflers who can't run under 4:00 (Oprah can break 4 can't she?). And when you put them together if you're not under 11 hrs in total, you should just find another sport.

We will have Nun of that.

11 I get
12 I get
13 I get

What the fuck does an able bodied thirty year old seemingly healthy person do out there for 17?

Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaelinfunk wrote:
R10C wrote:

If 2:00 per hundred is elitist, we are really lowering the bar.

X10 - 2:00/100 is not elitist by any stretch. Now something like 1:30/100m for 3800m would be moderately elitist...

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll suggest a test for the slower swimmers..

Next time you are at the pool put on an old school type rugby jumper(or equivalent heavy long sleeved top) and try to swim 500 meters at race pace.If you can manage that no worries then you may well be able to survive a tough Ironman swim and that is great.If you can't swim that 500m without struggling then how do you expect to survive an open water swim against wind and waves when you really need some extra swim fitness to survive? (500m is just a random distance and not some great scientific benchmark by the way)

PS...This is one of those "things you can do in the pool to help your open water swim fitness when you can't get to the beach" that I mentioned in the other thread

---
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 7, 12 21:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Well, by definition the 2+ per 100 crowd is exhibiting more "endurance" than the faster set.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
58 minutes for 3.8 doesn't sound elite at all to me.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
they are prepared to safely swim a 2.4 mile open water swim where conditions cannot be controlled? Why? Hubris?...I mean its bad enough most do not feel comfortable without a wetsuit.
This is supposed do be an ultra endurance event.

It's a fair question you raise, though undoubtedly an unpopular one for many. My own personal opinion is that the IM swim should be lengthened to 3.1miles/5kms, with the same cut off time. Either that or reduce the current cut-off to 1.45.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I coached Masters swimming for about 15 years, coached a lot of really good swimmers and triathletes; and some not so.
Once had a guy show up who I wanted to laugh out of the pool. Short, fat guy that bought his way into Kona having never done a tri. 2:00 woulda been a miracle for him at the time.
I kinda laid down the law for him on what it would take to get through a Kona swim, and he followed if for the six months or so. He didn't end up a good swimmer, but he did drop down into the 1:35 group and finished the IM.
In a way, he was my best coaching achievement; and I can't even remember his name.

So, not all two minute men don't belong - but they do have some work to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim 1:50/100 when I'm in a pool, Oly race, IM race, or 5k rough water swim.. Guess I shouldn't be racing because I like that pace?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

Can I just buy some aero wheels?

Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But we would need to get stickers for our cars and new tattoos to show we are real ironmen.

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Can I just buy some aero wheels?

Sorry, that's not enuff - you gotta do some work.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how many people who agree with me will never admit they agree with me

Quote Reply
Re: Why do people who cannot swim 2:00 per hundred think [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:
But we would need to get stickers for our cars and new tattoos to show we are real ironmen.

How funny would that be!

The law of unintended consequences..!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a very valid question, instead of saying it "elitist" look at the underlying question here.

If you cant hold 2min pace in a pool it means that your technique is pretty/very poor. It also suggests that you have spent little time in the water. For most people a few months of some effort in the pool (most people on ST seem to swim about 6-8k's a week...which is enough for the MOPer) will result in some significant improvements in the water. These improvements translate into a more efficient stroke (hence not being as tired in the swim) and more comfort in the water.

The people who pull out of swims (exlcuding those who are hit/injured) are the ones who are uncomfortable in the water, they are tired as their technique is inefficient, a wetsuit can mask that to an extent (allows you to float with minimal effort). Unlike in running and cycling one can't simply stop, get ones breath back and then resume. Being in the water is a constant.

Its is NOT being elitist to question how prepared people are for a swim. I'm not saying people who can't hold say a sub 1:30 pace for 3.8ks are: lazy, not worthy of doing an IM etc etc. One can swim any pace and be comfortable, however the harsh reality is that for the vast majority of people who can't hold 2mins or less for 100yards, they are quite likely to find the swim very uncomfortable.

Prev Next