Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do I need a kickr
Quote | Reply
Okay so assume I have a bike and nothing else. No power meter, no trainer. I am looking to solve 2 needs

1) A way to do controller indoor bike workouts (especially during the winter months)
2) I want to finally move up to training with power, at least on my indoor workouts (outdoor power can come later).

So first I want a platform to do it. Something with some videos and give me a plan. Seems like trainer-road gets good reviews, so cool - going to use that.

Now I need to figure the rest of the stuff, namely trainer and power meter. Current options seem to be:

a) Wahoo Kickr for $1100 (they really charge $100 more for the 11 speed casette? Can I buy a 11 speed Shimano 5800 on my own and save $50)
b) Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for ~$329
c) Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll for $469

It seems like the Kickr will feed real power data into my trainer road.. but the Kurt Kinetics are on the trainer road "blessed" list, and will give me virtualized power. Maybe 10-20w off my real power, but seems totally fine to train on over the winter. Kickr is cool in that it can adjust the resistance of the unit to say match a hill in a trainer road video (not sure they even do that?), but on the Kurt Kinetic I can just shift up or down a gear when I want to make it easier or harder.

Tell me why I should spend another $700-$800 on a kickr? I am not seeing why, but clearly I am missing something. Also the Rock & Roll is tempting to not feel so static and boring...
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need any of this.

For the most effective workouts and race pacing you will want a power meter and a good reliable indoor trainer. I would suggest a Powertap and a Kurt Kinetic road machine. This way you will have power when you race and train(on the trainer and on the road) and you will have a good trainer that will last damn near forever (KKs are built like tanks in a good way). Kickrs are awesome pieces of tech, but you can't take the power part of it on the road with you which is important for pacing and for knowing yourself. At the end of the day you will spend about what you would on a Kickr, but it will be a lot more versatile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
Okay so assume I have a bike and nothing else. No power meter, no trainer. I am looking to solve 2 needs

1) A way to do controller indoor bike workouts (especially during the winter months)
2) I want to finally move up to training with power, at least on my indoor workouts (outdoor power can come later).

So first I want a platform to do it. Something with some videos and give me a plan. Seems like trainer-road gets good reviews, so cool - going to use that.

Now I need to figure the rest of the stuff, namely trainer and power meter. Current options seem to be:

a) Wahoo Kickr for $1100 (they really charge $100 more for the 11 speed casette? Can I buy a 11 speed Shimano 5800 on my own and save $50)
b) Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for ~$329
c) Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll for $469

It seems like the Kickr will feed real power data into my trainer road.. but the Kurt Kinetics are on the trainer road "blessed" list, and will give me virtualized power. Maybe 10-20w off my real power, but seems totally fine to train on over the winter. Kickr is cool in that it can adjust the resistance of the unit to say match a hill in a trainer road video (not sure they even do that?), but on the Kurt Kinetic I can just shift up or down a gear when I want to make it easier or harder.

Tell me why I should spend another $700-$800 on a kickr? I am not seeing why, but clearly I am missing something. Also the Rock & Roll is tempting to not feel so static and boring...

Couple of thoughts:
1. The $100 upcharge - I think part of that might also cover the 11 speed compatible freehub. So an 11 speed cassette may not fit on their older freehub. Not sure...
2. You are right in that you can use the KK with trainer road, but the difference of course is that it is up to you to force yourself to the 'suggested' wattage they are telling you to do. With the 'erg' mode on a Kickr (or computrainer) it takes care of that for you. IMHO that is worth a ton!

Oh, and if you are going to go with a KK style trainer, I wouldn't pay the extra for the Rock and Roll. I tried it for a couple months. It did not feel real, and in fact it just felt like my bike was trying to lean over more that usual, I really didn't like it.

If money is a concern, maybe try to find a used computrainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Couple of thoughts:
1. The $100 upcharge - I think part of that might also cover the 11 speed compatible freehub. So an 11 speed cassette may not fit on their older freehub. Not sure...

Ah that is plausible

gibson00 wrote:
2. You are right in that you can use the KK with trainer road, but the difference of course is that it is up to you to force yourself to the 'suggested' wattage they are telling you to do. With the 'erg' mode on a Kickr (or computrainer) it takes care of that for you. IMHO that is worth a ton!

Ah good point... so you never really need to shift, just sit there and keep your cadence and you will hit your RPMs. Hummmmmm

gibson00 wrote:

Oh, and if you are going to go with a KK style trainer, I wouldn't pay the extra for the Rock and Roll. I tried it for a couple months. It did not feel real, and in fact it just felt like my bike was trying to lean over more that usual, I really didn't like it.

If money is a concern, maybe try to find a used computrainer?

Oh, I thought most people were reviewing it as nicer. I have never given it a try. I know sitting on a trainer makes me more sore than on the road because the bike is so static.. I was hoping that maybe a little leaning would make it spread the pain around a little..
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
You don't need any of this.

For the most effective workouts and race pacing you will want a power meter and a good reliable indoor trainer. I would suggest a Powertap and a Kurt Kinetic road machine. This way you will have power when you race and train(on the trainer and on the road) and you will have a good trainer that will last damn near forever (KKs are built like tanks in a good way). Kickrs are awesome pieces of tech, but you can't take the power part of it on the road with you which is important for pacing and for knowing yourself. At the end of the day you will spend about what you would on a Kickr, but it will be a lot more versatile.

Ya that is kind of what I am thinking. Except I am not buying a powertap right now, because there are too many power meters in the news right now. Rather give it another 6 months till spring to see what shakes down. (plus just bought a house, rather not buy a PM right now if I am going to be inside for the next 6 months)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, no shifting, and it doesn't matter what your cadence is, the trainer will increase/decrease resistance to force the wattage on you. Very mean! ;)
Regarding the RockRoll, I think comfort on the trainer has a lot more to do with getting yourself out of the saddle like you would once in a while on the road (without thinking about it). The leaning of the bike won't make your butt feel better, etc. IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Kickr last year before I got a PM for some of the same reasons. I only ride in ERG mode so the cassette doesn't matter as I don't shift at all. I did almost all my winter rides in my garage. I did go outside for some long rides, but the real training was in my garage and I had a very good tri season..hopefully because of the Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, if that investment level is something you're ok with, then go with a proper power meter and a KK or Cycleops fluid trainer off craigslist (we just got the lady one for $120had been used maybe 3x). The supposed advantage to the kickr is that you don't really have to "think". No matter what you do the workout will be done at the prescribed power levels. This in turn theoretically ensures you get a quality workout every time. For me personally I prefer to use gear selection and cadence to control my power on the trainer. IMO it makes the time go by much quicker, and I'm still getting a quality session. I actually think there was a discussion on here a few months back about whether or not thing like the kickr, CT, treadmill aren't perfect for all your training because you lose some sense of how to pace yourself. Don't quote me on that though, I'll try to dig up that thread.

P.S. if you're going to commit to indoor training get yourself some fans. Big ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is KK trainer old model just as good as KK 2.0 new trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot one option, pay $600 for the BKool trainer and get 90% of what you get from the kickr minus reliable power.

http://www.bkool.com/home-trainer

Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
You forgot one option, pay $600 for the BKool trainer and get 90% of what you get from the kickr minus reliable power.

http://www.bkool.com/home-trainer

But if that is double the price of the KK, and the KK gives me virtual power on trainer road.. why ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because you get a cool 3d environment and variable resistance for terrain which you can't do with a simple trainer. I am not saying you need a BKool or Kickr, but if you want to be able to simulate outdoor riding these are good options. I think you get a hell of a workout with just simple trainers so if you are just going to do hour long interval rides then BKool, Kickr, Computrainer are all overkill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. The resistance units are identical so functionally they are no different. The frame on the on the 2.0 is a little different and supposedly more stable, but we've had no issues with ours (both the green and grey ones). I think the knobs/ feet are different too, but I've had no issues with the old ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple other things to consider in the KK vs Kickr debate. The "need" for a trainer tire, likely mounted on a spare wheel increases the cost. Also that KK has a power module, so that price would need to be added as well if you chose that route.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
A couple other things to consider in the KK vs Kickr debate. The "need" for a trainer tire, likely mounted on a spare wheel increases the cost. Also that KK has a power module, so that price would need to be added as well if you chose that route.

Well if using trainer road, I think the power meter part is bunk. Can get virtual power vs kickr measured power.. both work inside.. both will still require a real PM eventually to race on.

So yes kickr saves tires.. but how much riding does it take to burn $800 in tires? Especially if I use old tires that I would otherwise toss on a trainer wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of this really depends how serious you are about the trainer time. If you get >100 hours of indoor riding per year the nice stuff (Kickr, CompuTrainer, etc) really make the whole experience a lot nicer. Everyone gets a bit bonkers by late winter anyhow and having a better unit helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
All of this really depends how serious you are about the trainer time. If you get >100 hours of indoor riding per year the nice stuff (Kickr, CompuTrainer, etc) really make the whole experience a lot nicer. Everyone gets a bit bonkers by late winter anyhow and having a better unit helps.

I want to be serious, at least 3 days a week in the winter, and maybe half my training year round. So happy to pay more if its better. But such a mixed bag here so far.. having to use my shift on a KK doesn't really hurt me, does it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
dgran wrote:

I want to be serious, at least 3 days a week in the winter, and maybe half my training year round. So happy to pay more if its better. But such a mixed bag here so far.. having to use my shift on a KK doesn't really hurt me, does it?

just get Trainerroad and the damn Kickr and never look back. You're spending more energy than necessary worrying about minor things. The extra $$ are worth it.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
just get Trainerroad and the damn Kickr and never look back. You're spending more energy than necessary worrying about minor things. The extra $$ are worth it.

Why is the Kickr worth $600 more ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
Printer wrote:

Why is the Kickr worth $600 more ;)

It's a great set up in my opinion. I have a kickr, Trainerroad and a bunch of Sufferfest videos. I don't have to shift. I don't worry about tire pressure, slippage and wear. I get on the bike and hit my workouts and move on with my day. There's $600 in my time right there.

Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
It's a great set up in my opinion. I have a kickr, Trainerroad and a bunch of Sufferfest videos. I don't have to shift. I don't worry about tire pressure, slippage and wear. I get on the bike and hit my workouts and move on with my day. There's $600 in my time right there.

Nice. But you do need a few more minutes to get the bike on and off it vs a normal trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have a back-up bike on the trainer. It doesn't need to be kept up like a road bike. So, this set up is worth more than $600 to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok so a bit of background before I answer your Q

- I have a power meter on every bike I own
- I have the kurt kinetic trainer
- I have a kickr
- I have trainer road
- I do maybe 80-90% of my training indoors

Training on the Kickr in erg mode will improve your biking without a doubt. It's very different than riding a regular trainer such as a KK with a power meter on your bike because it forces you to keep the watts. Having said that, it's also beneficial to do some training not in erg mode because you need to be able to control the power yourself in racing.

Trainer road added into the mix really helps you to maximize the investment in the kickr, because you can design custom workouts, use pre-created workouts, do their standard training programs (which are very good). There is no way I would just ride the kickr using their crappy iPad app. Overall, in my opinion, the kickr + trainer road has added a lot more than $600 of value to my training (plus $10 per month for TR)

In an ideal world, I would get the kickr, trainer road, and a power meter for my bike for outdoor riding and racing. In that order, if you are going to be doing a lot of indoor riding (which it sounds like you are)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
Printer wrote:

Nice. But you do need a few more minutes to get the bike on and off it vs a normal trainer.

How so? I find it quicker. With a KK, I need to put backup training wheel onto my bike, pump up tire, fasten trainer to the skewer ends to hold it in place, adjust roller to press just right against the tire, etc.
With the kickr, I remove my wheel and fasten the bike to the trainer with the included quick release on the trainer.
I have TrainerRoad opened on my laptop and ANT stick in the computer, picks up the kickr right away and I start my chosen erg workout.

You can debate the value of it forever......if you are happy with, and can mentally handle, a $100 mag unit, great. No argument here as to whether or not you can get a good workout with that, of course you can, just takes more mental strength, etc.
By the way, the 4-8k bikes we are all riding, those aren't necessary either!!

The kickr and TR have been the best value of any cycling gear I've bought in the past 10+ years. And not just a plug for Kickr, I'm really referring to any erg unit, so Computrainer included, and possibly others.
Last edited by: gibson00: Sep 22, 14 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Why do I need a kickr [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
In an ideal world, I would get the kickr, trainer road, and a power meter for my bike for outdoor riding and racing. In that order, if you are going to be doing a lot of indoor riding (which it sounds like you are)

Okay that sounds pretty good. I actually have just a road bike now. So following this line of thought I would do:

Kickr + TR for the winter.
Tri bike + power meter in spring
Wheels maybe next fall when races are approaching.
Quote Reply

Prev Next