Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer
Quote | Reply
As the title says. I have a power meter. When I ride outside, I kind of know within 0.5 mph what my speed will be given a ride of X watts. I understand that speed is dependent on wind and terrain but it's too far off of what's expected.

I know for a ride outside, at 150 watts, I avg 19.0-19.5 mph. When I ride inside, I get 15.5 mph. Why can't my Garmin learn distance per watt of what I do outside and apply it to my ride inside?

It is the same concept as running on the treadmill. My Garmin has learned my stride length and whatever else with the accelerometer learns and uses it to measure my pace when I run on the treadmill.

I don't understand how hard this can be for them to program it in ?
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't say outside speed should equal inside speed. Make your your speed sensor is set correctly for your wheel size. I ride with higher wattage on the trainer than I do outside as well.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not? I don't have a speed sensor. My speed comes via GPS on the Edge 510. Obviously that can't be used inside.

But why can't the speed at 200W, for example,inside and outside be more closely aligned? I am not saying it should be exact but within 1 mph or so. Not 4 mph difference that it currently shows.

If that's the case, then just don't show any speed or distance since its crap anyways. But I really think this is doable.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Why not? I don't have a speed sensor. My speed comes via GPS on the Edge 510. Obviously that can't be used inside.

But why can't the speed at 200W, for example,inside and outside be more closely aligned? I am not saying it should be exact but within 1 mph or so. Not 4 mph difference that it currently shows.

If that's the case, then just don't show any speed or distance since its crap anyways. But I really think this is doable.

Resistance on the road isn't the same as resistance on the trainer.

200w is a measure of power and not speed. Do 200w up a mountain and see how fast you go :)

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
My speed comes via GPS on the Edge 510. Obviously that can't be used inside.

Also, yes it can depending on the trainer and the speed sensor used.

My 810 gives speed on my Vortex Smart either from the trainer itself or my garmin speed sensor (the new gen) on the rear wheel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power has absolutely nothing to do with speed. Different trainers have different power curves.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

Resistance on the road isn't the same as resistance on the trainer.

200w is a measure of power and not speed. Do 200w up a mountain and see how fast you go :)

I'm not talking about instant power but there is a relationship between avg power, NP, and avg speed. If you avg 200 or NP of 200 at the end of your ride, the avg speed should be CLOSE to what you would avg on a flat ride since your 200 up the mountain would be 10 but downhill would be 30. These are just numbers to make my point.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Power has absolutely nothing to do with speed. Different trainers have different power curves.

I want my COMPUTER to show my speed irrelevant of the trainer used. Garmin has shown that the watch is able to learn my run characteristics and apply it indoors. Why can't my Edge 510 or F3 learn my power vs speed curves and apply it indoors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude. your not listening. Get the Garmin speed sensor and all your problems go away.

Power has NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. to do with speed.

There are no correlations with average speed to average power or normalized power.

Different trainers have different power curves and to assume the device can learn that is just ridiculous. A simple speed sensor will give you what you want.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 27, 15 21:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
dude. your not listening. Get the Garmin speed sensor and all your problems go away.

Shit, tell that to the 400w ftp guys :)

And here I am suffering for nothing :) /pinktext

But yes I agree OP needs to buy a speed sensor.

Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My FTP is 310W :) I wish it was 400W

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

There are no correlations with average speed to average power or normalized power.

Different trainers have different power curves and to assume the device can learn that is just ridiculous. A simple speed sensor will give you what you want.

So you are telling me that if I increase my power on a ride, I don't go faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of course you go faster when power increases. In terms of power as a measurement, it has nothing to do with speed. Your power meter doesn't care how fast your going

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it really matters to you, find the resistance setting on your trainer that gives you the speed you think is right.
Speed doesn't matter on the trainer since you can simply dial up or down the resistance. If the trainer is set up the same way every time, the displayed speed is a decent predictor of power...but, you have a power meter! That number is WAY more useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
of course you go faster when power increases. In terms of power as a measurement, it has nothing to do with speed. Your power meter doesn't care how fast your going

I understand exactly what you are saying but I think you don't understand what I am saying. Maybe I am not saying this right.

At the moment, when I ride on the trainer, I have a certain power output, and a certain speed and distance. That speed and distance reading I see on the head unit come from somewhere. I don't know exactly but since I have a powertap, I am assuming it is calculating the number of revolutions of the wheel. If that is the case, then the number of revolutions is dependent on the trainer settings and can be adjusted as DFroelich is stating.

However, what I want and I would like to know why this is not implemented is the following:
1) The head unit can be placed on an indoor bike setting which turns off the GPS.
2) The head unit has already been outside with you and knows what avg speeds you do given an avg power and VI
3) I want the head unit to display the distance and speed for an indoor bike ride based on what it knows about me on my outdoor rides.
4) I don't want the power meter to calculate this and display it on the head unit. I want the power meter to tell the head unit the power and cadence and the head unit to say, "Hay Midas has ridden this following speed outside with these power outputs" and show me those numbers.

I am not trying to be argumentative. I'll listen when I hear something that makes sense.
Last edited by: KingMidas: Jun 27, 15 22:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand what you want. However, Garmin and everyone else does not make devices to do this. I don't want a head unit calculating my speed based off what it thinks I did in the past.

I'll say this one more time. Buy the Garmin Speed sensor. When your Garmin computer loses GPS signal, this is your backup. Your speed is calculated by the rotations of the wheel. It's the same for indoor riding.

KingMidas wrote:
4) I don't want the power meter to calculate this and display it on the head unit. I want the power meter to tell the head unit the power and cadence and the head unit to say, "Hay Midas has ridden this following speed outside with these power outputs" and show me those numbers.

This makes no sense. Why would you not want your power meter giving you your true power at all times? That's the whole purpose of a power meter. No matter where your riding, outside or inside, 200W is 200W.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 27, 15 22:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I understand what you want. However, Garmin and everyone else does not make devices to do this. I don't want a head unit calculating my speed based off what it thinks I did in the past.

I'll say this one more time. Buy the Garmin Speed sensor. When your Garmin computer loses GPS signal, this is your backup. Your speed is calculated by the rotations of the wheel. It's the same for indoor riding.

KingMidas wrote:

This makes no sense. Why would you not want your power meter giving you your true power at all times? That's the whole purpose of a power meter. No matter where your riding, outside or inside, 200W is 200W.

I want the power meter to give power and cadence. But I want the head unit to correlate that power to my speeds in outdoor rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He already has a speed sensor built into his PT. he just wants the trainer speed to match his outdoor speed at a given power.

The OP hasn't explained why he wants this.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't make any sense at all. Trainer speeds are never the same as outdoor speeds.

Quote Reply
Re: Why can't bike computer get speed and distance right on the trainer [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
He already has a speed sensor built into his PT. he just wants the trainer speed to match his outdoor speed at a given power.

The OP hasn't explained why he wants this.

The reason I want this is because other than TSS, I like to accumulate miles on Strava. It is too frickin hot in FL to go outside so I ride inside and run on the treadmill right now. Other than that, it annoys the hell out of me. If it is so erroneous, then it should not show any speed or distance at all. But if it will show those data, then why not correlate it to my previous outdoor rides?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by KingMidas [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It doesn't make any sense at all. Trainer speeds are never the same as outdoor speeds.

That's exactly why it's annoying and would like to see a better way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride inside a lot too. I think your forgetting that there are a ton of other factors that go into your speed outside. Temperature, air density, wind, pavement type, aero gear, etc can all affect your speed. On a trainer, your not affected by any of this. Each trainer has a different amount of resistance unless you have a trainer where you can control it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This doesn't make sense for two reasons. The first has been covered. Same power is not going to equal same speed under all conditions including different trainers or road vs trainer. Of course not. Who said go up a mountain at same watts and see what speed you get? Exactly. Think of different trainers as different grade hills. More than that, the trainer resistance is a curve that changes with speed so it really correlates to nothing you are familiar with on the road.

Second, why do you care about your speed? It is irrelevant when you are training on the road, and doubly irrelevant on the trainer because of ^ see above paragraph. Ride X hours at Y watts. That's training. No speed, and no miles either. It is all about holding the watts (or HR if you haven't got a power meter) for a block of time, and that's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand your issue, but Garmin will never implement this function since it would be too complex to implement in a straightforward way and I think you are the only person who would want it.

Do you have a resistance setting on your stationary trainer? If so, then why not reduce the setting until the speed matches what you perceive to be about right for that power?
Quote Reply

Prev Next