Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested?
Quote | Reply
I see many posts on this forum where people will shell out money for ceramic bearings, $2K+ wheelsets, $300 wheel cover, $800+ aerobars, and very expensive frames, but few athletes actually get testing done.

Why haven't you made the trip out to ERO, LA LSWT, A2 or tested yourself?
Last edited by: Nick B: May 26, 15 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kit is sexy and easy (they deliver)

Testing isn't nearly as good at marketing

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

Because all the STers use Acronyms like ERO LA LSWT A2 so I don't know what or where they are

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ERO
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=LA+LSWT
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=A2

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question and I don't have a good answer. I guess the only reason is that I don't have a clue where to begin and how to set up a session; total cost, minimum time, how much equipment to bring, how is the data analyzed, who does the analyzing...lots of questions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because I don't care that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would as soon as ERO-Sport holds a session in Pittsburgh. Toronto is just a bit too far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's halfway across the world, that's why.

Plus, I feel like testing right now is a waste of money. I'm on budget equipment that's likely to change, and optimizing my current setup might not be worth my while. Meanwhile I'm maximising what I can with the safest bets - narrow, long position, $50 disc cover, and the usual goodies. If I could have it all, I'd go fly out to ERO for a stationary test, order the frame that fits best, then test it. Maybe in 15 year's time.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an expensive frame or expensive wheels (I built my own), and I have a 100 buck wheel cover.

Aero testing would probably help me but it is more than 800 bucks after factoring in travel, hotel, time off work etc that I don't have right now (house shopping). I did buy the tririg bars and yes those are up there in cost but I wouldn't have wanted to waste my time or money on my old cockpit I wasn't 100% comfortable on testing to rig and make it work. So in my planning to eventually test I spent the money now on that so it is ready when I end up testing.

That is my answer. I'm at the point I like my tri bike setup and spending the money now would probably make sense, just need to finish convincing work I need to be down in Mooresville for a few days, started laying the groundwork last week :).

Secondary I tinker way too much with everything and I'd probably spend 800 bucks only to screw it up a month later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are melding two groups of people. There is a group of people who spent $6k+ on their bike. That is not most of slowtwitch. There is a large group who hasn't spent money on aero testing. That is most of slowtwitch. I agree with your larger point, if you spend big money on a bike then you should do the testing. I think most people who are rolling on expensive rigs are doing just that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same reason that I don't shell out several hundred per month for top flight coaching...because I'm an age grouper! Instead of flying across the country to LA for ERO testing to possibly come in a few places higher (with the same prize purse of $0) I can use that money to participate in a destination race that will give me a lot more satisfaction. I think this post is somehow related to the one on First World Problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to but I have neck problems. My front end is pretty high and yet I can barely see up the road as it is. No way to get lower or steeper.

I thought about a periscope built into sunglasses but never followed through with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect you know the answer, but in my case:

I need to have a bike and wheels to compete at triathlons.
I can afford a $6k bike and can get fitted reasonably well locally.
Therefore I might as well buy a good bike and wheelset as a better starting point than cheaper components.
I don't have time to travel specifically to get aero tested.
I don't need to get aero tested because I know the biggest marginal improvements will still come from training more.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still working on the engine. Testing will come in the future.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Post deleted by DrTriKat [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely interested in planning a trip to A2 this year. Considering the travel time to get down there with bikes and equipment, I'd like to make a mini vaca out of it and maybe stay at Hotel Domestique (http://hoteldomestique.com/explore/) for a couple days of riding. If anyone is interested in getting a group together, send me a pm and maybe we could organize something.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tri shop is closer than the wind tunnel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
I see many posts on this forum where people will shell out money for ceramic bearings, $2K+ wheelsets, $300 wheel cover, $800+ aerobars, and very expensive frames, but few athletes actually get testing done.

Because when I bought my bike I made a grave error, well that and convenience. I knew in the back of my mind what I should have done was got a cheaper set up and gone to the tunnel but I was seduced by shiny kit and blew my budget on the bike. Partly because I wanted a fast bike immanently and going to a tunnel would have been a long process. Now I still have the same bike (it's getting on a bit!) and I've invested in getting the engine sorted. In hindsight I regret getting the expensive kit and missing out on the tunnel. With a bit more thought if I were to repeat the whole process I'd still miss out on the tunnel, get the cheaper bike and put the remaining capital into sorting the engine sooner - probably would have saved me some time!

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest issue with aero testing is how specific each component is to the rider. I see no practical way to test 5 handlebars, 10 skin suits or jerseys, etc etc without buying them all first and either eating the cost or returning 90% of it when the testing is done. I don't mind the expense associated with testing, but I see no point in just getting a single data point based off the gear I currently own, I want to know what I can change to improve.

If the different testing options all had a wall of different bars, hydration systems, helmets, clothing and you could then test to see which combo worked best for you, I would think the service would be much more popular than it currently is. It would be expensive to procure all of that equipment up front however and continue to buy the newest aero doodad, plus the additional issue that has been brought up that TT skin suits have a lifespan due to the very tight nature of their construction meaning that over time they will stretch and no longer provide the same level of performance would keep maintenance costs for those items high.

I would like to walk in, test with the baseline of the equipment I currently regularly use for whatever discipline I am interested in, then test all of the likely combinations that will show improvement for me based on the testers intuition, fine tune that over the course of the day(s) then leave with a shopping list sorted by aero gain per dollar (helmet, jersey, water bottle/holder, skewers, etc, etc.). If possible, many of those items would be there in stock and I would pay retail for those items and have them installed correctly onsite and verified with the test before leaving as an additional revenue stream for the test facility as long as products aren't "suggested" for their profit margins, but that the facility remains honest and transparent in any recommendations.
Last edited by: LOW2000: May 26, 15 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 Reasons:

1 - based on my power vs speed, I don't have much low hanging aero fruit left

2 - getting to a facility and having the time and the availability of all the options that I would like to try is time and cost prohibitive for the returns I could expect.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
if you spend big money on a bike then you should do the testing. I think most people who are rolling on expensive rigs are doing just that.

I don't think cost of rig has any particular bearing on the benefit of aero testing. Aero testing on an old P1 is just as beneficial as on a P5.

It's true that people with the discretionary income to buy expensive bike also are the types who can afford testing, but that's the only real correlation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easier to convince the Wife into buying new gear than it is to spend vacation time/ time away from family. The former is just money that I've saved. The latter is a little more invasive. Racing is bad enough.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP sounds like he's doing market research for one of the aforementioned tunnels.

My simple answer: cost. Cost in terms of effort, time, and $, in that order. It's already $$$ expensive, but as we know that doesn't phase most triathletes. It's the book a hotel, book a flight, pack the bike, get to the airport, get violated by security, multiple hour flight, stay in foreign place, etc. Not to mention the most expensive resource of all, time. It's a 3 day trek to get to one of those dudes unless you live less than 6 hour drive away.

Anyway, that's my condensed answer. Here's your market research magic: if there was a place within easy driving distance of me (i.e. day trip possible, ~3 hours or less one way, just throw my stuff in the car and roll), I would definitely go there and get fit/aero evaluation instead of just going to my fitter. Even if it was 2x as expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because getting the process scheduled was beyond difficult. I was planning to come from Florida to LA just for testing, but I was unable to reliably nail down a time slot long enough to get everything done. Kinda didn't want to have to commute FL/LA more than once to get it done. I think this is a very valuable expenditure of time and $, so I will try again this fall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

People seem to be addressing the first part of your question and not the last part.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Aren't You Getting Aero Tested? [adamas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much.

If I could wake up in the morning, get in my car - drive somewhere and be home for bed time - it would have been done a while ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next