Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who races in Kiwami Amphibian Prima Trisuit
Quote | Reply
I have used Kiwami Prima XC 2 piece for 3 Ironman distance races and multiple half's. I love the material but wanting to use 1 piece. I know the konawami is a great suit. However, Im considering using the amphibian prima as a swimskin/race suit. Who has used this for half and full distance racing? Did you get hot due to not having a front zip even with the zipper in back unzipped? Any other thoughts? I know it doesn't have any pockets and i don't need any for LD racing. Fire away. I have spoke with Andre but wanted to get some other opinions before placing my order.
Quote Reply
Re: Who races in Kiwami Amphibian Prima Trisuit [cmsamp3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used quite a few of their suits, and love them all, for different reasons. I have pretty much moved to 1 piece for all distances, as I feel it is much more comfortable. I have found that the material of the Amphibian is so thin that it's not anywhere as hot as many, and the rear zip is no issue. The material is water repellent, which eliminates heat by not holding the water close to your skin, and the suit stays really light. Maybe it's a mental thing, but having a very light suit towards the waning moments of a long race seems so much nicer than many suits that get heavy and as you take them off, weight a ton with the sweat they've absorbed. I've raced up to 92 degrees in the suit and it has been fine. If you do feel you need some ventilation, do as Jordan used to do with his, and unzip the back. Seriously, the amphibian material is pretty incredible in the lightness and I think that's the secret to staying as cool as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing in the Amphibian 008, mostly half distance. It's the closest to a perfect suit I've found.

I wanted a suit that could double as a swimskin for non-Ironman races with ITU rules (e.g., Challenge) that require you to complete the race wearing the same suit you wore in the swim (no dedicated swimskins).

I'll second what ggeiger said about the super light, breathable material. It's unlike other suits I've seen. The best description I can give is that it's like hydrophobic, durable tissue paper.

I just raced a couple hot 70.3s and didn't find that the back zipper had much, if any, negative effect on cooling.

I haven't once thought about the suit during a race, which is the test of a good suit.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Amphibian always. Have enough of them that I also train in them with bike top too. Swim Skin - Dont bother especially if the Amphibian is new...

The Amphibian is a very versatile one piece and can be used at any distance. For the run I unzip the back to free up my chest for better breathing.

Also - nothing is lighter when wet and drying is quick....
Quote Reply
Re: Who races in Kiwami Amphibian Prima Trisuit [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thinking about getting an Amphibian for sprint/ olympics, but how is the absence of a pad on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Who races in Kiwami Amphibian Prima Trisuit [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the Amphibian 008 and the Prima up to a HIM. I'm partial to a minimal or no pad on the bike anyway.

The Amphibian 008 has no pad and the Amphibian Prima has a thin pad. Other options with a pad are the Rio and Spyder. While I haven't personally used the Rio I think it's the same as the Prima and Spyder.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Who races in Kiwami Amphibian Prima Trisuit [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both with and without, and for short distances, I'm sure it's a personal thing. I would call or e-mail Andre, as he may have some amphibians WITH small pads, as I know we did have them.

Thanks, and let me know if I can be of more help.

Gary
Quote Reply