Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse?
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing there are others who also would be interested in less flip responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about everyone who wanted to go? :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
How about everyone who wanted to go? :)

Yep...
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mont tremblant apparently didn't roll past top 10 for the most part, so interesting that syracuse was such a different outcome.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Canadians are generally more open to travel....and the Americans who came to Tremblant are already more open to travel since they just crossed a border to get to Tremblant. As I mentioned in the other thread, Montreal to Munich is easy travel with a direct flight...then rent a car and get to Zelle.
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense, thanks Dev.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but do we know how the roll downs went? Or even if they did awards?

A thunderstorm approached just when the transition opened and they said over the loudspeakers "everyone quickly get your bikes and into your cars - you have 10 mins" At which point everyone makes a mad dash for the transition, then to parking.

It would have had to go far for me to get a spot, though...
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The person I asked about awards said they were going to mail them. I overheard one person asking how they were going to handle the 70.3 WC slots. Not sure if he got an answer.

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They didn't do awards or slot allocation at the race. Asking various "officials", it sounds like they are going to mail any awards. For slot allocation, they are going to do it by e-mail. How that actually works, does not seem to be clear. The only way I see that happening is to e-mail the top qualifiers & give a deadline for response. No response resulting in e-mail to the next person on the list. I'm not sure what minion at ironman would draw the short straw to handle that mess.

I'm just hoping that there are not many people who can drop everything and travel to Austria on short notice (and that's about the same time as kids going back to school). Given that I was beaten by a few Canucks, it's a toss up. I need it roll to 10 and my wife to 5. Guess I should have done a bit more hill run training!
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, with only 30 slots to give out for 24 age groups means almost every AG = 1 slot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was alot that wasn't clear at the end of that race... like whether people could actually finish or not. Officials telling us on the course that everything was over and finish was closed, and timing had been shut off.... only to find the clock still running when we got back after sitting in someone's barn for 45 minutes. I'm not flinging blame, it was just confusion when the weather came in so fast. I should have been running faster, then I wouldn't have had an issue.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Well, with only 30 slots to give out for 24 age groups means almost every AG = 1 slot.

True, but I would expect it to roll down significantly. I suspect that most who set qualifying as their goal would have done an earlier race. To be honest, it's an afterthought as I didn't think my wife would have been up for doing this as an add-on to the season. After doing IM Austria a couple years ago, returning to that area has a lot of appeal.

Regardless, it was a great course and the staff did a fantastic job. The last couple miles of the bike & start of the run are a cluster#@! but it seems unavoidable without significant changes to the bike course (e.g. running it in the opposite direction).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I earned a Vegas slot here 2 years ago via roll down, after similar weather conditions cancelled the awards. They'll start with emailing 1st place, waiting for a response, rolling down and emailing 2nd place, etc etc.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got this email:

Quote:
Due to the impending thunderstorms in the area, we made the decision to clear the run course and end the event early. We share in the disappointment and frustration of those athletes who were not able to finish the run; however, the safety of our athletes, volunteers and first responders is always our priority. The IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Slot Allocation and age-group awards were not affected and will be distributed as noted below.

AWARDS
Age-group awards will be sent to the top-five finishers in each age group.

If you are a member of a TriClub or team, were listed on our TriClub Bib list prior the start of the race, and were unable to complete the event due to weather, you will earn 700 participation points for your club. We will use these points to determine the winners of the IRONMAN 70.3 Syracuse TriClub Competition and to add to your club's loyalty point total. The participation points will not however go to your global TriClub ranking.

Athletes and TriClubs should anticipate receiving their awards within the next 3-4 weeks.

SLOT ALLOCATION AND ROLLDOWN

• Automatic qualifiers will be contacted via email on Tuesday, June 23 at 4 p.m. ET. They will have until Monday, June 29 at Noon ET to claim their slot.
  • Athletes who receive Rolldown slots will be contacted on Monday, June 29 at 4p.m ET. They will have 48 hours to claim their slot from the time they are contacted, with a new Rolldown occurring every 48 hours starting at 5p.m. ET **Should Rolldown occur over the July 4 holiday, new Rolldown notifications will be sent out on Monday, July 6 by 10a.m. ET

Last edited by: timbasile: Jun 23, 15 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pricardo wrote:
Mont tremblant apparently didn't roll past top 10 for the most part, so interesting that syracuse was such a different outcome.
In Reply To:

Hmmm, not sure, but I was standing in front of the stage at Tremblant for a few minutes while they were handing them out, and it sounded like they were literally having trouble finding people to take them in certain age groups, and were moving the slots to different age groups to give them away.
He was on the mic saying 'does anyone in this group want to go', etc.
I think it is a pretty long/expensive trip from North America for a 70.3 race, unless you are specifically making it a vacation, and it is a spot you actually want to vacation in...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW at Raleigh in early Jun the rolldowns varied from none in a couple AGs to 11th (the lowest I heard but I might have missed something).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone has received an email yesterday for the roll-down slots from Syracuse ? They were supposed to be sent at 4PM as I understand...

Guess my AG has not rolled down and the top 2 finishers took their spot...
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [espressopat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you next in line to get a slot? I wish they had some kind of tracker so you would know if it were still an option. From their initial e-mail, it sounds like they wouldn't notify roll downs until after the deadline (i.e. yesterday at 4 pm then q.48 hrs thereafter). It would make more sense to just give each person who qualified a 48 hr turn-around. That way, if someone immediately declined the slot, they could just go to the next person. I never received the initial e-mail so I need to make sure my info isn't lost.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Who qualified for 70.3 WC at Syracuse? [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smoom wrote:
FWIW at Raleigh in early Jun the rolldowns varied from none in a couple AGs to 11th (the lowest I heard but I might have missed something).

At Raleigh, in F45-49, anyone who was present and finished the race could have claimed a spot. My girlfriend is in that AG and had to DNS due to a dislocated shoulder in early spring. We were at the awards ceremony to collect our Tri Club award and stayed for the entire awards & roll downs. That F45-49 slot went unclaimed and got reallocated to F30-34, I think (possibly F35-39).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks. I was 3rd in M45-49, my understanding is there were 2 slots for that age group... Not sure if I would take it given what's involved (travel, costs, time away) but I was curious to see I would I would get the email for the roll-down
Quote Reply