Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who has the entire Kona video collection?
Quote | Reply
So what year were the first Kona VHS tapes made by IM?

When were they changed from VHS to DVD?

Anyone have any of the original VHS tapes they want to sell, or loan? I am wanting to make into files I can watch in digital format but am trying to get the best quality,
so I need an original source.

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the looking back about a week or two, their was a guy giving them away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have all of them on DVD. They are a copy. Earlier year quality was not so good. 1st year I have was 1978 or 80.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Try the looking back about a week or two, their was a guy giving them away.

Yes, I was lucky to have been sent 5 of those. I had no idea that in the past IM made what looks like VHS tapes.
These should give the best quality when I encode them compared to tapes I have gotten that were made from a
TV broadcast. Something is better than nothing but I always love to try and upgrade to get the best possible quality.
I am looking for the 1989 race I got a tape of. The quality is much better than what is on Youtube, but if I could find
a IM VHS master, I could probably get even better quality.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
I have all of them on DVD. They are a copy. Earlier year quality was not so good. 1st year I have was 1978 or 80.

wow, that is very cool!!

How did you get the first year stuff on DVD? If encoding from a TV recording, yep, I can see how the quality would not be the best.

This is why I am looking for VHS tapes made by IM for the early races. Encoding them would be the best quality.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several months ago I entered "Ironman" on eBay and found a guy I Canada selling DVDs from the broadcast tapes ( with segments no commercials) I bought two copies of the first three shows on one DVD. Don't know if he is still there but a good deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Bum wrote:
Several months ago I entered "Ironman" on eBay and found a guy I Canada selling DVDs from the broadcast tapes ( with segments no commercials) I bought two copies of the first three shows on one DVD. Don't know if he is still there but a good deal.

Great but nothing shows up now.

Wonder what boardcast tapes mean? What years did you get?

I have found a few of the VHS tapes so encoding them. Kinda fun to work with folks to try to get a set in the best quality possible. Would be fun to watch while on my trainer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bunch of the files, I can look when i get home, but since they are already digital I'm not sure if you could clean them up or not.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
jdais wrote:

wow, that is very cool!!

How did you get the first year stuff on DVD? If encoding from a TV recording, yep, I can see how the quality would not be the best.

This is why I am looking for VHS tapes made by IM for the early races. Encoding them would be the best quality.

Wouldn't that be a 35+ year old VHS tape? Degraded. It'd be lucky if they played at all. Your best bet is finding a video someone converted to digital in the 90s back when those old tapes were still viable.

Best if it was done from the TV master tape and not someone's home VHS tape. I wonder if that early footage is still sitting in a vault at NBC or elsewhere?

You probably know this. Most Kona videos are posted on youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most are on youtube

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - the first year IM was on TV was 1980. It was ABC's Wide World of Sports. If it were recorded at all it would be reel-to-reel and since we didn't have VCRs etc., it would be a movie of the TV.

In 1982, they had a 35mm slide presentation of the previous year's race at the Carbo Dinner, now the E como mai banquet Thursday night. That was hot technology at the time. I have that somewhere in addition to the 5 VHS tapes I sent you. I might be able to find it but you'd still have some big holes in your offering needing to be filled by Bob Scott, Sister Madonna, Lou Hollander, etc. This is really a nice thing you're doing for the tri community!

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
jdais wrote:

wow, that is very cool!!

Wouldn't that be a 35+ year old VHS tape? Degraded. It'd be lucky if they played at all. Your best bet is finding a video someone converted to digital in the 90s back when those old tapes were still viable.

Best if it was done from the TV master tape and not someone's home VHS tape. I wonder if that early footage is still sitting in a vault at NBC or elsewhere?

You probably know this. Most Kona videos are posted on youtube.

so far they are encoding.

If I can find better quality I will update

Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Most are on youtube

Yep, some links

https://www.youtube.com/...4z2aeXvsX9kDfx4Rv_Xn

https://www.youtube.com/...heN7qJeTUYzHLJi37QqA

But lots of them are terrible quality. Love the HD ones.

So I will mix and match until I get the best quality set I can make and continue to upgrade as better stuff is found.

Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Dave - the first year IM was on TV was 1980. It was ABC's Wide World of Sports. If it were recorded at all it would be reel-to-reel and since we didn't have VCRs etc., it would be a movie of the TV.

In 1982, they had a 35mm slide presentation of the previous year's race at the Carbo Dinner, now the E como mai banquet Thursday night. That was hot technology at the time. I have that somewhere in addition to the 5 VHS tapes I sent you. I might be able to find it but you'd still have some big holes in your offering needing to be filled by Bob Scott, Sister Madonna, Lou Hollander, etc. This is really a nice thing you're doing for the tri community!

John

That would be great. So far the tapes you sent are encoding fine. Sure much better quality that what was uploaded to Youtube.

I have been in contact with some folks that looks like they might have them all. If I can get some of these folks to loan me stuff, will try to put a collection together that is the best I can find.
Then I will try to upload these better quality things to YT for folks to download. Or if there are issues, I could put them on a flash drive.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the following but they are like 24GB in total size.

1991 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1992 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1993 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1994 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1995 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1996 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1997 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1998 Ironman World Championship.mp4
1999 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2000 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2001 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2002 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2003 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2004 Ironman World Championship.avi
2005 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2006 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2007 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2008 Ironman World Championship.mp4
2009 Ironman World Championship.avi
2010 Ironman World Championship.avi
2011 Ironman World Championship.avi
2012 Ironman World Championship.avi
2013 Hawaii Ironman World Championships.MP4
2009 Ironman Louisville.mpg
2009 Ironman New Zealand.divx
2010 Ironman Australia.avi
2011 Aussies Abroard ESPN Kona Special.avi

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any 2014?
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope...sorry... And i just killed my dropbox pro account so I have no way to share such a large amount of data.

Last edited by: nebmot: Apr 23, 15 20:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is an amazing collection.
Sure wish it was available somewhere...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I sent you a memory stick and some cash would you be interested in sharing some of those?
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarvinTPA wrote:
That is an amazing collection.
Sure wish it was available somewhere...

My goal is to encode what I can find in the max quality. Then have 2 output streams.
One that is this max quality, and another which is geared toward the tablets and apple compatibility.

Assuming Youtube does not nail me, I want to upload this stuff to my Youtube account so anyone who is interested
can download what works for them for free. Just way way too much work for so many folks doing. If I can do it right
the first time, well, I do love to give back to your sport.

And if YT is an issue, can do on a flash drive.

YT seems to be more flexible now, so will see what happens.

Last edited by: h2ofun: Apr 24, 15 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have started the process. Still trying to get the best quality from the older stuff. Have been able to get my hands on a few original VHS tapes from the 90's.
Trying to get tapes from the 80's is where I could use some help.

Looks like 2005 was the last year for VHS tapes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - the first year IM was on TV was 1980. It was ABC's Wide World of Sports. If it were recorded at all it would be reel-to-reel and since we didn't have VCRs etc., it would be a movie of the TV. //

Where do you come up with this? I recorded the 81 wide world of sports on my VHS player, and the tape worked fine up until the day i lent it to a former winner who lost it. )-; I was able to procure a DVD of that race from the master, and have the complete race in very high quality. I also have some tapes from those early days in the early 80's that play just fine still. I have put them on DVD's, several times actually, as the DVD's are the fragile formats. The old tapes just keep on trucking!!!

I would like that first WW of sports from 80 though, if anyone wants to trade for a pristine copy of 81, I'm here….
Quote Reply
Re: Who has the entire Kona video collection? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Dave - the first year IM was on TV was 1980. It was ABC's Wide World of Sports. If it were recorded at all it would be reel-to-reel and since we didn't have VCRs etc., it would be a movie of the TV. //

Where do you come up with this? I recorded the 81 wide world of sports on my VHS player, and the tape worked fine up until the day i lent it to a former winner who lost it. )-; I was able to procure a DVD of that race from the master, and have the complete race in very high quality. I also have some tapes from those early days in the early 80's that play just fine still. I have put them on DVD's, several times actually, as the DVD's are the fragile formats. The old tapes just keep on trucking!!!

I would like that first WW of sports from 80 though, if anyone wants to trade for a pristine copy of 81, I'm here….

We need to work together. My goal is to get all this stuff in the best digital format I can. Things like DVD',s etc will go bad, etc so I try to never make a physical media of anything anymore.

I downloaded a version of 1981 from youtube but the quality is terrible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - nice to see your dedication on this. I mailed out the last of about 35 IM and TdF videos to their new homes last month. So much better than just giving them to Goodwill. Makes for happy triathletes.

I have a couple quirky things like the (slide show) presentation from the Oct '82 IM and know a guy, the one who mentored me, who just might have that '81 show. I'll ask and if it's yes I'll pm you..

Keep up the good work.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John, that would be great. Finding the 80's stuff is hard to find. Still looking for help.

Anyone have the 2012, 2013, and 2014 Kona HD videos? I have the 2009, 2010, and 2011 now, even though it took some work with editing on my part.

Thanks

Quote Reply

Prev Next