Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon?
Quote | Reply
in the bahrain thread we were contemplating whether an israeli could travel to bahrain for the challenge race. it got me to thinking. before we knee-jerk imagine the most difficult travel challenge for a country from a culture different than ours, i wondered who couldn't come here. i went on the U.S. immigration website and i can't find much.

so, could a private citizen from north korea, iran, syria, pretty easily get a B2 visa to come to the U.S. for a triathlon? assuming that their own countries would grant permission to travel? other than being a member of a terrorist organization or somebody deemed highly unlikely to leave the U.S. after his/her vacation, when is it hard to come here for a race?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
north korea???
Syria???

I think they have other issues going on. and if they can train it only means they are in the elite and most likely got their $ illegally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a little article here about Iran's first female triathlete. She lives in London I think, but it includes some of the visa troubles she had travelling to the ITU Worlds currently in Edmonton http://www.220triathlon.com/...-paperwork/9083.html She made it in the end I think.

ETA: Obviously I understand this is not the US, but thought it an interesting enough, real-life example to post.
Last edited by: jstreetley: Sep 1, 14 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [jstreetley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as i mentioned in another thread, just yesterday i think, there were 400 participants in iran's national tri champs this year. 400! me, if i had the chance to travel to iran for a triathlon i might seriously consider it. of course, with my big mouth and opinionated ways i might never again travel back out. but here's one thing that it seems to me always proves out: there are very few if any countries were the people are just, as a group, bad. in fact people are, as a group, pretty much like people in my country.

we, clearly, in america, waaay overreact to threats. well, we underreact or we overreact. massive telephonic surveillance is an example of a gross overreaction. i therefore wonder if we overreact when it comes to a private citizen from iran or cuba coming here to race in a triathlon. i'd like to know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone with criminal record beyond the most minor things, people who admit past drug use, etc.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
as i mentioned in another thread, just yesterday i think, there were 400 participants in iran's national tri champs this year. 400! me, if i had the chance to travel to iran for a triathlon i might seriously consider it. of course, with my big mouth and opinionated ways i might never again travel back out.

I'm in the very early stages of organizing a bike tour there. I'll let you know if it materializes. Probably 5+ years down the road, depending on the political climate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
in the bahrain thread we were contemplating whether an israeli could travel to bahrain for the challenge race. it got me to thinking. before we knee-jerk imagine the most difficult travel challenge for a country from a culture different than ours, i wondered who couldn't come here. i went on the U.S. immigration website and i can't find much.

so, could a private citizen from north korea, iran, syria, pretty easily get a B2 visa to come to the U.S. for a triathlon? assuming that their own countries would grant permission to travel? other than being a member of a terrorist organization or somebody deemed highly unlikely to leave the U.S. after his/her vacation, when is it hard to come here for a race?
It's somewhat difficult for people from non-wealthy countries to get visas to visit the US - they have to demonstrate that they are very unlikely to try to remain in the US for economic reasons.

How difficult depends on the the country and the person. A very wealthy business person from country X can get a visa more easily than a manual laborer, because it's assumed they are less likely to feel their circumstances could be improved by staying in the US.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Anyone with criminal record beyond the most minor things, people who admit past drug use, etc.

x2.

Also, good luck trying to fly south without crossing US air space!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is not a hard and fast rule. Instead, immigration authorities make an assessment of your illegal immigration risk. Generally speaking, the richer you are the lower your perceived risk, and the greater your chances of being granted entry.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:

Even being a European defence lawyer for someone on the banned list, who has been to court in Europe, might mean you can't get into the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [Chewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just book your flight to a Mexican border city and the rest is (apparently) easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakercr wrote:
Just book your flight to a Mexican border city and the rest is (apparently) easy.

Funny.

The U.S. Wrestling team has hosted iran's team.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can/can't travel to the U.S. for a triathlon? [Chewie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't Nigella Lawson have trouble getting into the US simply for admitting coke use a few times? She wasn't charged or convicted or anything!

My company does work around the country (little old New Zealand) and overseas quite often too. We have a couple of staff who can't work or holiday overseas for transgressions in their youth :-) New Zealand is great, but I wouldn't want to be stuck here! :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply