Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I've got a sprint tomorrow morning and it looks like it will be 46F when I go into the water and 48F when I get onto the bike. I'm seriously thinking about doing the bike in my wetsuit. Has anyone else here ever tried this?
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
someone has.... not me. it was some old-timer talking about some sort of early bike time-bonus + free wetsuit sponsorship deal. flek or monty maybe? hopefully they'll chime in. [ETA: it was monty, see posts #25, 31 below]
good luck w/ your cold-*ss tri. sounds like a fun challenge if you're into it, all polar-bear style and all, but a nightmare if that's not what you want.
Last edited by: Bob Loblaw: Jan 8, 17 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't supposed to be that cold. The race is in Naples FL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

That year I did IMFL, It was like 33 degrees with the wind blowing at least 100MPH. I have PTSD from that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be able to pull this off, but I'd recommend against it for these reasons:

1. You're going to have to take it off anyway, so you might as well do it after the swim where there's strippers. I wouldn't want to be the person who comes off the bike and looks for someone to help him get the wetsuit off when everyone is running around like crazy.
2. You can get shirts to retain heat, and arm warmers will finish it off. If you're still cold, a sweatshirt will definitely keep you warm.
3 I don't know about your wetsuit, but mine restricts the range of motion in the legs. You'll not only lose a lot of time because you can't pedal, but if that (now) dry wetsuit rubs against your skin several thousand times, then cutting yourself open becomes a real possibility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint here in Chicago early this past spring and it was 43*f. It was a pool swim so now wet suits allowed but I sucked it up and didn't even put on a jacket for the bike - I should have. But I did PR for a sprint.

My parents just arrived in Estero last night from Wisconsin. I'll have to give them a call and see if they are digging the cold down there ;)

Oh, and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
46F is way too warm to wear the wetsuit on the bike. You'll overheat. Just keep a jacket in transition and put it on it you think you'll freeze.

For most people in the northern parts of US, 46F is still shorts but maybe a long sleeve jersey...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [GSJon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a sprint (with a pool swim) where it was 42F. I just did the whole thing in my tri suit. The bike was unpleasant but doable. The only thing I'd change if I had to do it over again would be to wear gloves on the bike - by the end of the ride shifting/braking was nearly impossible, and T2 was a disaster as I couldn't get out of my helmet/into my shoes with frozen hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run in my wetsuit. Often
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

That year I did IMFL, It was like 33 degrees with the wind blowing at least 100MPH. I have PTSD from that race.

2010?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much every pro at Boise 70.3 did it a few years back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to say someone did it at IM Lake Tahoe...

My wetsuit is too tight for me to even contemplate wearing it on the bike. Guess I'll just need to retain some of my natural insulation, in case my early season races are chilly. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it for a spring sprint in NJ. The air temp was 38. Constricts the quads a bit but other wise fine. Fairly sure I placed somewhere in the top 3 women that year but I like to run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Green, I'm also here for the race. My wife and I are staying in a condo at the end of Gulf Shores Rd right near the sprint run turn around. It won't be cold enough to leave your wetsuit on for the bike. Just towel off and put on a dry top and gloves. I brought a one piece tri-suit but I'm going with bike shorts and tight jersey. The sun will be on use before we get to the bike turn around and it should feel pretty decent by then. The Hits guy must have the worst luck for weather in the whole tri business.

Good luck tomorrow

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a few spring sprints up in Michigan where the water took your breath away and the air temp was around 40 degrees without the wind. It's cold before the race but once you get moving you warm up and should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He wore his swinskin in Kona!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 45-48F Oly race with 15-20 mph winds and some drizzle with armwarmers, gloves and toe covers. It was uncomfortable, but manageable. The key is to keep working hard, so that your body keeps generating heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Green, I'm also here for the race. My wife and I are staying in a condo at the end of Gulf Shores Rd right near the sprint run turn around. It won't be cold enough to leave your wetsuit on for the bike. Just towel off and put on a dry top and gloves. I brought a one piece tri-suit but I'm going with bike shorts and tight jersey. The sun will be on use before we get to the bike turn around and it should feel pretty decent by then. The Hits guy must have the worst luck for weather in the whole tri business.

Good luck tomorrow

Good luck tomorrow guys. I did the event last year in the pouring rain but decided to spend Christmas week down there this year instead....so stuck here in the snow. Last year pouring rain and cool and this year 44 degrees.....in Naples! Geesh, talk about bad luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello GreenPlease and All,

If you have a DeSoto 2 piece wetsuit you could try wearing the bibjohn on the outside of the top ... strip off the bibjohn at T1 and put on bike tights and you will be toasty warm .... take the DeSoto top off ( at T2) for the run unless it is still very cold.

Test it first: EMILIO'S FIRST LAW OF TRIATHLON: Never wear, use, or do anything in a race that you have not worn, used, or done repeatedly in training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJbqlkPKyWY

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like we might not have a swim tomorrow if we have the expected winds/chop. I was really just trying to minimize my transition time while staying somewhat warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here. I doubt you will be swimming tomorrow. NW 20-25 will make it too ruff for the safty personel in the kayaks.
I spectated today at the end of my street out towards oil well rd. I feel sorry for the full Im guys, they've been getting rained on all day. Now its honkin and the temp is plummeting fast. Weather sucked here last year too. T-1 is gonna be a mud fest tomorrow for the sprint and oly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long is the bike? If it will take about 30 mins it seems quite long to race in a wetsuit. I have ridden my bike wearing my wetsuit (riding to the start of every Triple T race in 2014) but despite it being colder (air temp around 40F) I opted against it. You might be quite uncomfortable riding in aero since the position is not what a wetsuit is designed for so it will constantly be pulling on your back and arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Here Has Ridden a Bike in their Wetsuit [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
I want to say someone did it at IM Lake Tahoe...

My wetsuit is too tight for me to even contemplate wearing it on the bike. Guess I'll just need to retain some of my natural insulation, in case my early season races are chilly. ;)

Yep I saw one person on the bike doing it. Maybe there were others. But then again, the air temp was like 24F.

Edit: also maybe they just gave up after they saw the men's T1 tent...
Last edited by: spudone: Jan 7, 17 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forum member Monty has, but not for the reason you are asking about.

http://forumdev.slowtwitch.com/...n_the_bike_P1343608/

These pros rode with them for warmth

http://www.triathlete.com/...it-on-the-bike_55577

48F is not that cold for a sprint. Your adrenaline will be pumping, I remember doing one that had similar temps, and I just put on a long sleeve cycling jersey, and that was good enough.
Quote Reply

Prev Next