Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
White Saddles
Quote | Reply
  Can I expect to keep it clean and realistically avoid scuff marks, dirt, etc? Or is it an exercise in futility?
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a prologue for a few years and the only scuffing I have is from when I had my seat to high and my right thigh rubbed against for a while. Never issues with dirt or anything like that. I might have used Clorox bleach wipes on it once after a really wet/muddy ride but can't remember.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NEVER BUY A WHITE SADDLE

That's just a general guideline.
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I've had a prologue for a few years and the only scuffing I have is from when I had my seat to high and my right thigh rubbed against for a while. Never issues with dirt or anything like that. I might have used Clorox bleach wipes on it once after a really wet/muddy ride but can't remember.

Me too. The Prologue is the first white saddle I've had that's stayed white. Will buy again.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that it's possible, although probably not realistic.
It only needs to get a little bit discoloured to ruin the look.

Personally, I'd never buy one unless it only came in white and fit me better than anything else out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a White Arione. Almost looked like new when i bought the bike (used), still looks that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the make.

Fizik's Microtex material - both on bar-tape and saddles - stays clean forever. I've had a Cobb SHC stay white, and my Cobb Max stayed white until the material wore off completely.

On the other hand, my GF's Selle Italia is a nightmare to keep clean - daily wipes and it's still greyish.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a white Adamo (which I've now had enough of). Top front of the nose of the saddle: rubbing by me has taken off the white dye so it there are patches of darker colour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If these guys are rubbing the finish off of an Adamo, they are sitting too far back on it. I've had a white one for about two years with no problems. Also have had a white Specialized on my road bike for over three years, no problem there either.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Oct 9, 15 2:37
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Well I'm rubbing the dye off the very front of the nose of my Adamo. Pretty hard to do that from the back of the saddle.

Sure, I could sit further forward. On the top tube, for example. That would keep the saddle pristine.

IMO the issue is that the nose of the Adamo is very wide. I've switched to a Selle Italis Iron Flow, which is much narrower. And more comfortable for it.
Last edited by: Greg66: Oct 9, 15 3:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ALWAYS had white saddles (on road bikes). Perhaps I'm crazy (hold the applause) but I feel they stay cooler than black when I stand to climb on 100 degree days. Mine stay reasonably clean despite what I do to it.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
I have a White Arione. Almost looked like new when i bought the bike (used), still looks that way.

I've had a white Arione on my primary road bike that has endured thousands of miles in all the extremes of seasons since 2010. After 5 years it shows a little wear on the edges and small scuff on the edge from a hard crash last year, but still from about 10 feet and further it still looks as white and clean as one could expect. Other than a simple wipe down or light rinse I've never had trouble keeping it white and clean. I wouldn't hesitate getting another white Arione when the time comes if the pattern looked good. The one I have is mostly white with a black stripe down the middle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a white Spesh saddle on my roadie and of course, white bar tap & bottle cages to go with it. Did I mention white helmet & white shoes?

Foaming spray sneaker cleaner keeps the saddle, bar tape & shoes in sparkling white condition.

I don't need to mention black bike knicks because that goes without saying..
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Really? Well I'm rubbing the dye off the very front of the nose of my Adamo. Pretty hard to do that from the back of the saddle.

Sure, I could sit further forward. On the top tube, for example. That would keep the saddle pristine.

IMO the issue is that the nose of the Adamo is very wide. I've switched to a Selle Italis Iron Flow, which is much narrower. And more comfortable for it.

So what part of your body is rubbing on the saddle?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if it matters, I'm looking at a Cobb Plus. I'm not sure I want white but the white one seems more attractive than the black ones to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a white Bontrager saddle for a while and while I did have to wipe it down slightly more often then a black saddle, it was not hard to keep clean. I now have a black Fizik with a white center stripe and it requires no special care.

My white bike on the other hand gets dirty if I just look at it . . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Can I expect to keep it clean and realistically avoid scuff marks, dirt, etc? Or is it an exercise in futility?

I run white saddles on my road and tri bike. Not a big deal. I use white tape as well- but refuse to use tape with a cork finish. I wipe them down with a little soap every now and then, but nothing major.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2012 white saddle on my tri bike (Podium), and it still looks great.
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
White saddle only if you don't ride between Labor day and Memorial day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Adamo on my P2 is still crisp white despite many many training and racing hours. Not scuffed/soiled at all. My Selle San Marco on my roadie is filthy but it's many years old and looked a nice white for a long time. On the right rig, with the right saddle (like the Adamo) the white looks great with minimal care other than maybe some wipedown. But make sure it matches the bartape.
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My prologue is still brand new white and I've had it for 4 years.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
¯ Desmond Tutu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had really good results with mine and I fart a lot or at least most of the time they are farts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to be close to sharing too much information, but it's the internet, so...

My wife had not had her period since right after Thanksgiving of 2014. We both assumed that menopause was over. She bought a white saddle and in September while on a long ride she found out that she was not through menopause after all. Looking at the bike in the garage afterwards I decided that I had been to murder scenes where there was less blood.

She now has a black saddle. BTW, Formula 409 gets blood off of a carbon frame really well, but you have to take the seat post out of the bike and the saddle off to clean those areas. It also cleans the blood off the Flo Wheels without damaging the stickers. The white side wall Michelin PRO-4 tire in the back is now a pink wall tire.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing wrong with your bike looking like it's been ridden.
Quote Reply
Re: White Saddles [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, probably too much information, I'm a male, but good to know that white may not work well in case of a blood bath...
Quote Reply

Prev Next