Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39)
Quote | Reply
Wow, what a race course... Going into this race I had high expectations, but also a very realistic set of expectations that finishing was the ultimate goal. My training numbers had me feeling good that if all the stars aligned, I could and should be sub-11. As with any race, you deal with challenges and unexpected obstacles and this race presented plenty of them.

Taper:
I had a challenging taper period as I started a new job right as my training was slowing down. This lead to an almost complete drop off in my training (the run in particular). I went from running 30+ miles (peaks into the 40's) down to 5-8 miles a week the 3 weeks before. I have a strong feeling this is part of the reason my foot issues mentioned later flaired up on race day. I should have stayed ahead of this, but sometime life gets in the way.

Pre-Race:
Being my first IM, there was a lot of nervous energy so I hadn't slept well for the few days prior. Woke up at 4 am, had a bowl of oatmeal, bottle of pertetuem and pack of black cherry shotblocks (caffeine) which totaled about 600-800 calories. Walking down to the shuttles with my brother and heading over to the swim start the energy of the morning just kept building. It was great to have him around since he was a 6 time Penticton guy coming out of "retirement" to join me. He kept my head in the game to start the morning. Once arriving at the swim course and ensuring there wouldn't be any surprises in the wetsuit on the swim, I headed over to the bike and started getting it set up. I had planned to cover my cockpit and saddle the day before but forgot bags, so I used my t-shirt to wipe everything down. After the bike was dry enough I put my bottles (2x pertepuem concentrate approx. 1140 calories) on the bike and set my 4x shot blocks down on the ground to pump my tires (mistake 1, but resolved when I got back to my bike after the swim). Tires pumped and walked over to get my wetsuit on. As I finished all that I chatted with a couple of the guys in our group who mixed from first timers to KQ guys and then headed out to the water as the pro men started.

Swim: 1:16:38 OA: 731, Men: 558, AG: 95th
I've heard mixed reviews on the swim. A few of my buddies were are ex-D1 swimmers said it seemed a little long. I've seen others say it was short. My 910 said 2.7 miles when reviewing it after the race and looks fairly straight in terms of course. It definitely doesn't look jagged enough to have a full .3 miles extra. That being said, I also went out a bit harder then I would have liked, but not so much that I would have thought a 1:16. When my watch said 1.2 miles I was around the 33-34 minute mark. Right after the first lap, I realized I hadn't put my shot blocks on my bike, which stressed me out a bit. I knew my swim was going to be a bit slow (predicted 1:08-1:12) since the one place I had neglected in my training was my swim. The last two years I've swam a 32 and 33 respectively at Lake Stevens on similar volume of swimming. I was confident the few minutes I lost in the swim would be made up in the significant bike and run mileage increases I had.

T1: 4:50
I planned my T1 to be as simple as possible and it really was apart from the minor mistake I made pre-race of not putting my shot blocks in my bento box. My wetsuit was off quick thanks to the "peelers" (I still prefer the term strippers but I think WTC is trying to get away from that). I didn't have the normal slight vertigo that I get after a long swim and actually moved pretty well through the pack. I got my helmet, glasses, socks and shoes on and ran to my bike. Luckily the shot blocks were sitting in a plastic bag right by my front wheels so I grabbed them and put them in the bento box. Probably cost me 60 seconds and I took my time ensuring they were in there well.

Bike: 5:50:19 OA: 294, Men: 260, AG: 51
This is where I had planned to put some solid effort in. I had done significantly more riding this year and picked up a new Speed Concept. With a solid performance on the bike I felt confident that I could have easily ridden a 5:25-5:35 if things went well. About 5-7 miles into the ride, my right hip started to tighten up. Again I attribute this partially to the massive drop off during my taper. Not ideal, so I reset my expectations early and figured I'd back off the watts a little bit to keep things strong later in the day. Apart from the hip tightening up, things felt pretty good and was moving past a lot of people. By the halfway point I had moved up to 45 in my AG looking at the tracker and things were looking solid as I was just cruising by people on the Pemberton Flats, even at a lower watt number than I was initially targeting. Right after the turn around at the end of the Flats, I got just that... I glanced down and noticed a shimmer a few feet in front of me but couldn't avoid it quickly enough. Pulled over quickly and got to work on changing the front tire, meanwhile watched a number of larger packs just roll by. Many were riding clean out here but definitely still some large packs rolling through. After inspecting the tire (brand new Conti GP4000sII) there was a small sidewall tear so I wanted to make sure it would hold up the rest of the ride. Because I didn't have any gu packs, I ate an entire package of shot blocks and shoved the wrapper in the tire to keep the tube from pushing out of the sidewall. Got everything back situated and only about 4-5 minutes to change the tire (could have been faster but eating the shot blocks slowed me down a bit). What slowed me down a bit more was the fact that the tape ensuring my speedbox stayed closed was now crumpled up and I had to try and get it to work, but did have to stop 2 other times to resecure it before the end of the bike. Once I got back on the bike I slowly started working my way back through people. I had dropped about 50 slots overall and 11 in my AG between mile 58 and 91 due to the flat and ensuing issues, but heading up back from Pemberton I took much of that back. The only other real issue that came up was my 510 on my bike stopped reading my power numbers shortly after heading back to Whistler from Pemberton so I had to ride by feel. At the top of the last climb my legs started to cramp a bit which I attribute to simply being flustered on my ride and off on nutrition (needed more sodium) with the higher then expected temperature

T2: 5:03
I took a little more time in T2 because of the cramping and the decision made to change out of my PI Octane suit into shorts and a tri top for the run (which meant more sunscreen as well). At this point I knew sub 11 wasn't in the cards, so I figured I would be happier being comfortable on the run. I drank some water and took a salt tab before exiting T2 at what seemed like a pretty manageable pace.

Run: 4:23:50 OA: 291, Men: 247, AG: 50
My feet had started to bother me on the bike a bit, but nothing that was too bad yet. I have dealt with Morton's Neuroma for the last 3 years including cortisone shots alcohol injections. Over the last 7 months I put in pretty solid mileage (30-40mpw average) with limited issues or pain. My first 4 miles on the run, I was rolling at slightly slower then a 9min/m pace which was right were I wanted to be. Mile 5-6 my right foot started to flair up and I dropped to just under 10min/m pace. This was mostly because of a shooting pain in my right foot. Mile 7-13 is where I was basically debilitated and had to talk large chunks of the run because my foot hurt so bad, I could barely put any weight on it. Looking at the numbers, there are about 15 minutes worth of time over 10 minute miles in this section that I can directly attribute to my right foot. Once the foot issues had popped up I decided to make sure I always had a smile on my face despite the pain. There were some great sections of the course with parties going on. I would run/jog through those trying to get the crowd fired up which helped. At mile 13 a friend of mine pulled up next to me and we chatted for a minute. He had some GI issues on the end of the bike and parts of the run, but was pushing through. After a few words of encouragement, I had set a plan to push through and make sure I went sub-12. My split at the half way point was around 2:21. For the last 13, I pushed through the pain, keeping my pace in the 9's apart from a few sections were I was in the mid-10's with massive pain in my foot to the point where I was practically in tears on the course. I wrapped up the last 13ish miles around a 2:02 pace which is close to what I wanted to run for both.

Post race thoughts:

While I didn't hit my goal of sub-11, it was definitely an amazing experience. There were so many challenges (large and small) through the race that were thrown my way that I can't complain with my time. Between the slightly slower then expected swim, the flat, speedbox issues and powermeter going out on the bike and the major foot issues on the run, the race taught me a lot about overcoming the unexpected. Even with my high expectations for the day, I knew deep down the most important thing was finishing with a smile. Below is the post I made on FB after the race. It really sums up how I felt about everything quite well... Also special thanks to all the volunteers and other participants who battled out there on Sunday...

--------------------------------------------------
Completely humbled by such an amazing experience. It is such an honor to share the course with approximately 1900 other awesome athletes. While today presented some definite challenges including a tough swim, flat tire and my foot injuries flairing up to the point that I could barely put weight on them, I powered through and am so happy with my time. The outpouring of support from family, friends and total strangers choked me up at several times in the race. This experience changes people, and I'm privileged to have been a part of today.
Last edited by: PeteDin206: Jul 29, 14 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race and race report! You finished strong in the race and closing of your RR, which is all that matters in life.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your day! Sounds like it went relatively smoothly for your first one and considering the few little issues I'd say you're definitely capable of going under 11. Congratulations and keep on truckin'!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, way to get done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey great job! Way to keep at it and get it done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Great effort on the bike course, especially on the climb out of Pemberton. I hate it when there are headwinds both ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job on sticking with it, on a tough, tough day. I'll bet your next IM WONT have a flat tire, but WILL have a PB

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulaions, nice finish with all that pain.

What nutrition/water did you take in on the run? I'm not goi g to criticize or give pointers, just for comparison's sake to my own. And what were the temperatures on the run?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salt tab every 30 min, perform, water and chips at almost every aid station. No gi issues on the race at all. I could have used more salt on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pete, we rode "together" for almost the entire bike ride. I had the red Trek SC and the same P-09 helmet as you. Wished I knew it was you.

My day went to complete shit as I totally cramped up about the same place as you and was unable to run more than five minutes without my leg seizing up. Bailed at the aid station right before the run headed out to Green Lake (about 6.2m/10k). First DNF in 20-something races.

I did 11:30 last year and had hoped for 11:20 this year. I was off on the bike from the get-go and could not ride to expectations and then the cramp sealed my fate.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jul 29, 14 18:30
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gman, do you think the course conditions were the issue for you this year? Reviewing some AG finisher times for this year vs. last seemed to yield slower times even though the pros went faster. Heat? Wind?
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was for sure warmer, sunnier, and windier than last year. There was a slight headwind coming back to Whistler from Pemberton. Nothing major but a 5-7mph headwind while doing that climbing made it more difficult than last year. Aid stations were also spaced apart kind of wonky in the Whistler-Pemberton-Whistler section. I think I got real low on electrolytes during that part as I don't feel I took in enough nutrition. There were two long-ish stretches of the course without aid stations.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the stretch on the Pemberton meadows seemed to be low on aid. Like you, I may have started to get dehydrated around there. I never found it hot as I am ready for hot races, but I paid midway through the run with my calories getting concentrated. I then needed to really dial back the run pace to a near walk (never walked though as I find it is impossible to get running when the blood pressure drops as the calves are like a pump to drive blood back to the heart). So I kept shuffling till the second "out" on green lake and was able to feel like I was running somewhat in the last 10k. Hydration and sodium management had a big play on Sunday. In hot races like Texas or Kona everyone is paying attention to hydration and sodium. Starting on a coold day in Whistler even guys like me with all these IM's under the belt are blowing fundamental basics. Don't be hard on yourself. I felt I ran 20 min slowe than what I was trained for (ran 4:12 instead of 3:50 target)....and I did not even come remotely close to overbiking. Averaged 182W with current FTP in the 255 to 260 range, so very conservative bike pacing. I think you nailed what happened to many of us...we got lulled into feeling that it was less warm than it was. Once I download my Garmin, I'll have the temps on the Pemberton flats...all I can say is that as soon as we turn right to hit the climbs I was dripping sweat on the 10 percent grades. I am kind of glad I used my old Louis Garneau Chrono helmet as it provides a bit more cooling. True aero helmets are fine at Hawaii at 30-40 kph. At Nice and Whistler when you are climbing uphill in 30C heat at 10 kph in no airflow it's a different picture.

To the OP, congrats on a fantastic first race. Most Mdot races have 300-450 people sub 11. Whistler was maybe not as tough as Tahoe, but we only had around 150 sub 11. I just squeezed in at 10:54 and was 128th. It was a tough day. The only other race that beat me up that bad was Nice France. My wife asked me when I am going back, which usually means a green light to plan another trip, but I need a few days/months to get my head straight. One thing for sure....the mountains are calling me back. What fabulous scenery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Pete, we rode "together" for almost the entire bike ride. I had the red Trek SC and the same P-09 helmet as you. Wished I knew it was you.

My day went to complete shit as I totally cramped up about the same place as you and was unable to run more than five minutes without my leg seizing up. Bailed at the aid station right before the run headed out to Green Lake (about 6.2m/10k). First DNF in 20-something races.

I did 11:30 last year and had hoped for 11:20 this year. I was off on the bike from the get-go and could not ride to expectations and then the cramp sealed my fate.

Ah man, sorry to hear about your race... The more I'm hearing about other people's races, the better I feel about my slower then expected race. My legs were cramping to the point of immobility coming into the finish of the bike. I think the extra 2 minutes changing in T2, plus the water and salt tab while sitting in the aid tent really helped me reset.

Thanks for the kind conversation on our consistent passes back and forth at completely random times throughout the day. Good luck on your next one!
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin highest recorded temp was 97 f. I assume that was climbing back from Pemberton, the sun on the first climb heading back was amazingly hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I agree that the stretch on the Pemberton meadows seemed to be low on aid. Like you, I may have started to get dehydrated around there. I never found it hot as I am ready for hot races, but I paid midway through the run with my calories getting concentrated. I then needed to really dial back the run pace to a near walk (never walked though as I find it is impossible to get running when the blood pressure drops as the calves are like a pump to drive blood back to the heart). So I kept shuffling till the second "out" on green lake and was able to feel like I was running somewhat in the last 10k. Hydration and sodium management had a big play on Sunday. In hot races like Texas or Kona everyone is paying attention to hydration and sodium. Starting on a coold day in Whistler even guys like me with all these IM's under the belt are blowing fundamental basics. Don't be hard on yourself. I felt I ran 20 min slowe than what I was trained for (ran 4:12 instead of 3:50 target)....and I did not even come remotely close to overbiking. Averaged 182W with current FTP in the 255 to 260 range, so very conservative bike pacing. I think you nailed what happened to many of us...we got lulled into feeling that it was less warm than it was. Once I download my Garmin, I'll have the temps on the Pemberton flats...all I can say is that as soon as we turn right to hit the climbs I was dripping sweat on the 10 percent grades. I am kind of glad I used my old Louis Garneau Chrono helmet as it provides a bit more cooling. True aero helmets are fine at Hawaii at 30-40 kph. At Nice and Whistler when you are climbing uphill in 30C heat at 10 kph in no airflow it's a different picture.

To the OP, congrats on a fantastic first race. Most Mdot races have 300-450 people sub 11. Whistler was maybe not as tough as Tahoe, but we only had around 150 sub 11. I just squeezed in at 10:54 and was 128th. It was a tough day. The only other race that beat me up that bad was Nice France. My wife asked me when I am going back, which usually means a green light to plan another trip, but I need a few days/months to get my head straight. One thing for sure....the mountains are calling me back. What fabulous scenery!

Thanks, definitely not down with the race, just know I left quite a bit of time on the table had my feet been able to hold up. I've got some serious thinking ahead about if I want to do another full. The time commitment and stress on my body was a lot, but I'm pretty sure I'll be back. I'm meeting with my foot doctor tomorrow to evaluate some options as I want to get it fixed before making that decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
It was for sure warmer, sunnier, and windier than last year. There was a slight headwind coming back to Whistler from Pemberton. Nothing major but a 5-7mph headwind while doing that climbing made it more difficult than last year. Aid stations were also spaced apart kind of wonky in the Whistler-Pemberton-Whistler section. I think I got real low on electrolytes during that part as I don't feel I took in enough nutrition. There were two long-ish stretches of the course without aid stations.

Something I have noticed is that pros seem less affected by warmer conditions. Is that just better fitness, better preparation... maybe lower body fat %. A combination of all the above. The average age group racer really folds in hot humid conditions. At my last Olympic, I thought I had just a mediocre or at least no better performance compared to my other races, but ended up with a really high USAT score from it. Hilly run, hilly bike, very humid, non-wetsuit.... yup... a perfect recipe for outperforming the average triathlete.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your first full Ironman! Sounds to me like you did a great job of dealing with everything race day threw at you. I just wanted to offer some support on the Morton's Neuroma issue - I know there are some threads on here regarding treatment options, but just for my n=1, I had them in each foot and went through each successively more aggressive treatment option including the cortisone and alcohol injections, and finally ended up at surgery. I had my left foot operated on last winter and the difference in running is fantastic, it's amazing to run without that pain and just have your muscles and cardio be your limiters. I have been running with toe spacers in my right foot, which has definitely helped (but slowed down my T2 times) but still can hurt a lot once I get to around 8-10 miles on a run. Getting the other neuroma removed this offseason and can't wait for it to happen - I hope you and your doctor are able to solve the problem and at least you won't have that to deal with too-
Quote Reply
Re: Whistler Race Report, First IM: 11:40:43 (M35-39) [rahciao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well update from my foot doctor. It doesn't appear that any new neuromas have developed. We chatted a bit more and because the pain seems to stem from my longer rides, he thinks some adjustments to my cleats (shims and placement) may actually solve the issue. I've noticed on my longest rides my feet do hurt a bit so it would make sense that it was just setting myself up with the run on top of that.

Anyone have experience where too much of their weight/force is going onto the outside of their foot while pedaling? I'm setting up a fit with a local guy I trust to just work with pedal/foot interface. I'm guessing I need to cant my shoes out a bit to raise the inside of my shoe and balance the load across my foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had nearly the exact same experience at Texas this year - didn't overbike (per power) but my feet started to hurt around mile 60 and by the time I got off my bike I literally could not put any weight at all on my feet - hurt so badly. Frustrating as my LEGS felt fine but I could barely push off my feet to walk due to the pain. Ended up shuffling the entire marathon with some weird form to try to alleviate the pain as much as possible. As soon as I got home I went to my fitter and worked through it - I've switched from SPD to speedplay pedals which my feet seem to like better since I can have lots of float, and also needed a longer spindle on one side and a shim on one side - there's a ton you can play with. It seems to be making a big difference so far - did a 70.3 a couple weeks ago and while my run was crap my feet felt fine (the heat did me in). I'll have the 140.6 test again at Boulder this weekend but I feel your pain, and think working on the pedal/foot interface is a great starting point.

Great race report, and good job!
Quote Reply