Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer?
Quote | Reply
Looks like this is my next purchase and I am researching what I need and how I'll use it. Currently I really only ride on my trainer and race days but eventually I'll get out on the road on a different road bike so the PM would need to be able to be moved from one bike to another and to the trainer. Whats everyone using? Thanks, and yes I'll do a concurrent search on ST and Google. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big fan of Garmin Vector. Some will probably recommend the new Powertap P1 pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's a Powertap wheel. Switch wheels all the time. This is just another wheel

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap is probably the easiest. But I can swap my Quarq between bikes in about 2 minutes without trying. I tried timing myself once and did it in less than 50 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A wheel like a powertap would be the easiest.

Crank isnt too hard as long as your bikes all have compatible bottom bracket types.

Pedals like the garmin vector you have to be a little more careful with installation to get consistent readings. Its not terribly difficult but some people don't want to have to break out the torque wrench all the time to swap pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Im assuming you race with your powertap wheel? wheel cover perhaps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a powertap in a hed jet 6 wheel, train with it all the time and throw a cover on for racing. Definitely the easiest to switch between bikes...I also have an elite fluid trainer which doesn't eat tires so I just ride conti gp4000 tires all the time, and just put new rubber on for A races.
Quote Reply
Re: Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer? [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it takes me less than 60 seconds to change my Powertap P1 pedals...I love these things so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Stages PM and switching back and forth between bikes take about as long as it does to get towels, shoes, and water bottles organized for a regular trainer ride. Probably a 5 minute switch. It just all depends what is going to be most compatible between your two (or 3 or 4!!!) bikes. Compatibility and price played a huge role in me deciding Stages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I considered a P2M, but settled on the Powertap. I'm very happy with the decision, especially now that I am traveling more and often have to switch the device between bikes without the benefit of my tools and my work stand. I'm sure it's a pretty easy switch on a crack based device when you are at home and set up for it, but I really appreciate the tool-less simplicity when I'm away. And I just use a disc cover when I race.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Last edited by: Tulkas: Jul 31, 15 20:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap for me though I find the pedal-based solutions appealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question for convenience and accuracy, which is a MAJOR issue the Powertap wheel is best for your situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing beats ibike Newton in convenience!
Quote Reply
Re: Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer? [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:
I use the Stages PM and switching back and forth between bikes take about as long as it does to get towels, shoes, and water bottles organized for a regular trainer ride. Probably a 5 minute switch. It just all depends what is going to be most compatible between your two (or 3 or 4!!!) bikes. Compatibility and price played a huge role in me deciding Stages.

How long does it take to swap the other half of your powermeter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of factors to consider.

Are you using a smart trainer? If so then I'd avoid a hub model as it isn't needed on trainer.

Also with hub, are you going to use this wheel all the time or as race wheels.

Pedals will be more convenient for switching between bikes but also more delicate than crank based. Accuracy may also be an issue but to a far lesser degree than single arm styles like stages.

Cranks style are arguably the best choice but switching between bikes can be more difficult/time consuming between bikes. Be honest with your bike mechanic skills here.

Brands or features from here become a decision on investment and what you really are looking for.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Which style/brand power meter is easiest to swap between bikes and or trainer? [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine that I train with Tr. Road and have my race wheel setup Zipp 404 FC front and Zipp Sub 9 rear disc. So Im thinking I need either crank or pedal based setup. Bike mechanic skills are pretty weak but Im sure I can handle it once I learn it. It seems to me removing/installing pedals seems quite a bit easier than removing/installing a crank but after you do it a few times probably no difference or marginal. My bike computer is a Garmin 500 if that is a consideration--so Im guessing it has to be ant+ based. Thanks for any advice/considerations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes me less time to swap my Power2Max crank between bikes than it does to swap a rear wheel. That pesky chain always gets in the way, and I like to try and center my wheel just so because I'm anal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on this info I agree regarding crank or pedal. Another advantage with pedals is it will fit any bike easily. If you upgrade bikes you may get compatabity issues with fit or start playing with BB adapters.

Also, honest question is do you really see yourself switching between bikes that much? In theory it's easy to say yes. But if you ride your tri bike 75% of the time and just alternate road bike once and a while, or vice versa, does it matter?

Then your left with crank based. Then things get interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based om the reliability of Powertap...I would look seriously look into the their new pedal based system.
Quote Reply