Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane?
Quote | Reply
I originally planned on checking a bag and carrying on another bag. Since I shipped my bike with TriBikeTransport, I sent many items in the additional gear bag, so only need to have a carry on. I wish I would have added some items that may not be carry on approved to my gear bag, but too late now.

Which of these items can I bring in my carry on luggage?

Powder (I have 5 water bottles filled with the correct amount of Infinit nutrition powder).
Charger for my Garmin 910XT
Razor blade so I can save as many watts as possible ;)
Cliff shot blox or Gu's
Assos Chamois cream

I think those are all of my questionable items. I may have to suck it up and check the bag if they don't allow powders because I can't just buy my custom Infinit mix once I get there.
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I travel very frequently and bring my razor, garmin charger and gels in my carry-on (always put them in a clear bag prior to make them easy to screen though). The shot blox and chammy cream should be fine (but I am just guessing there and would buy both at the race to just avoid the potential issue since they are really in the grey area.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many ounce container is the chamois cream? 3.4 oz or less is the rule.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've carried all of those in a carryon with the exception of the Chamois Cream. I'm guessing that it's over 3 ounces, so it'll likely get flagged. Liquids are one of the "easy" things for them to see on the machines, so they're fairly good at pulling them out. I'll be up to the individual screener whether or not they consider it a liquid, but based on past personal experience, it'll likely be pulled out of your bag.

Powder, charger, razor blade (assuming it's a "safety" razor and not a straight razor), shot blox - they won't care.
Gu - they'll just need to be put into your liquids bag and pulled out for the scan
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cream is 4.3 oz though is only about 1/3 full. Could I scoop it into a plastic baggie? Sure I can buy it there and will if they confiscate it, but if I can get by (especially since I won't be able to keep the new stuff I buy, I might as well do what I can to get it through!)

The biggest thing for me is the water bottles filled with powder... No concerns there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you put the cream in a labeled container <= 3 ounces and into your liquids bag, it should be fine. But the partially filled original container itself would be a no-go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UMDRunner wrote:
The cream is 4.3 oz though is only about 1/3 full. Could I scoop it into a plastic baggie? Sure I can buy it there and will if they confiscate it, but if I can get by (especially since I won't be able to keep the new stuff I buy, I might as well do what I can to get it through!)

The biggest thing for me is the water bottles filled with powder... No concerns there?

I've done water bottles (empty of course) with a baggie of protein powder before inside it with no issues. For the cream, yeah you can get it confiscated but you also run the risk of a more detailed search if they flag you. Not worth the hassle to piss off the TSA and you'll probably feel violated since they didn't buy you dinner first. I'd recommend putting it in a smaller bottle (you can buy a cheapo plastic bottle from REI or your local department store even).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Sep 16, 14 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realise this is an old post, but it's pertinent to me travelling this Friday.

For those who have traveled with gels (Gu in particular), how many have you taken in your carry on without it being an issue (in a clear bag of course)?
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane? [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've taken 2-4 gells easily in my carry-on. No issues. I typically pack the chamois cream w/ the bike and buy shaving cream & CO2 at the destination.
Quote Reply
Re: Which of these race day items can I bring on a plane? [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got back from running a marathon in DC. Traveled with 5 GU's, a small tube of body glide, some Skratch individual packets and some protein bars in my carry on with no issues. Didn't even take them out for individual screening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fliying in the US? Can bring all of them in my experience. Going through a real security like Heathrow? Id take the cream out of the bag and bring an arm pit shaver razor insead.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply