Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which bike to choose for IMFL
Quote | Reply
So i have posted a few other items recently about my IMFL journey. Long story short - Wife diagnosed with breast cancer, insists I still do florida, training has taken a real back seat. My original idea of breaking long bikes into chunks has failed miserably and with 46 days to go im in DR/BC mode. I HAVE to do this and I HAVE to finish or else she is going to feel really bad and guilty about taking one more thing away from her family. That's why im doing it so quitting or DNF'ing is not an option to me. I need to do this for her, i know it probably sounds weird but until you have a spouse fighting cancer you probably wont understand and i hope and pray none of you ever understand.

Anyway to my real question. I did Muncie in July with approximately 3 weeks of training and pulled a 7:15(ish) time. If not for some enduralytes that I think went bad I would have been in good shape to have been in the low 6's. I was on track for a sub 3 hour bike and felt good until everything went south and i started to feel really sick. So i have a reasonable amount of base fitness. I believe I can finish Florida but its going to take a long time and hurt like hell and im already prepared to hunker down for a day of pain and misery. Right now my plan is to try to go pretty easy on the bike like 14-15mph range for energy conservation in hopes that I can run at least half of the marathon and maybe finish under 16 hours.

So all that being said, starting to wonder if it makes more sense to take the road bike instead of the Tri bike. I have a P2 with a disc and H3 upfront. Part of it is appearance. I personally feel really stupid going 15mph on that setup while getting passed by people on road bikes or worse mountain bikes. So the question is given my sitch would i benefit more from being in a more comfortable road position for 7.5 hours or would the benefit of the Tri bike and associated aero gear still provide enough of a benefit in aerodynamic savings to leave me fresher for the run at the same projected speed? My gut says the road bike is the way to go but the voice in the back of my head says no matter what the Tri bike is always faster at the same effort. So im really torn. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

If your still reading, this is how screwed i am with 46 days to go

Longest bike since Muncie - 35 miles in 2 hours
Longest run since Muncie - 9.5 in 1:40
Longest swim ~ 45 min in the pool ~ 1.2 miles

This is not where I thought I was going to be when i signed up. :-(

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Which bike to choose for IMFL [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2 no doubt.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my road bike a lot (mostly now) and when I get on my P2 I am always surprised how much my neck hurts until I get used to riding for long periods of time in aero position. So you have to weigh being in an essentially new position and having your neck hurt from continuous 6,7,whatever hours. Or you could sit up on the P2 to break things up as needed. I would ride the P2 since it's so flat but I'd be careful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for P2. Get as much time on the bike as you possibly can until race day. I think you stand a much better chance of finishing on a tri bike as you will be faster on it. The course can be pretty windy so trying stay aero will be very beneficial. Don't worry what anyone else thinks.

I'm racing IMFL as well. Best of luck and see you there!

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am sorry to hear that your wife is going through this.

You have some time to get ready for the race though.

I would definitely ride the TT bike on that course. It will make a big difference in terms of time and energy expended. You could put the P2 on the trainer and do all of your rides on it, especially the long ones. Very time efficient (more time with wife) and will help you adapt faster to the position. The IMFL course is so flat and so boring that the trainer is one of the best ways to prepare for it both mentally and physically. There's no reason you should not be in aero the whole way.

With your low swim and run volumes to date, a long and exhausting road bike ride could jeopardize you making the bike cut-off if you get unlucky and it's a windy day.

Get some long swims in, do long trainer rides, and you will get to T2 in plenty of time so that the lack of run volume doesn't matter. You could then walk it in if need be.

That's what I'd do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2. I can't imagine riding 112mi on a flat windy course like IMFL on a road bike. You'd have to push 20-30% more watts on that road bike just to go 15mph.
Last edited by: sp1ke: Sep 19, 17 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input everyone. You have convinced me to take the p2. Prior to this post I was pretty set on the road bike but just had that little niggle of a thought that it might not be the best idea. So i hope the internet doesn't break but you guys effectively changed my mind.

I do have my p2 on a trainer in the basement and that is where i spend most of my time on it. I even built a desk around it so i can work while riding but i have to sit pretty upright so i lose the benefit of getting my body used to being hunched over.

for anyone at Florida this year. When you blow by a short white guy on a tiny p2 who's going 15ish mph don't judge I'm doing the best I can with the cards dealt me this year. ^_^

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the P2 with the disc rear. When I did IMFL, I somewhat regretted running the H3 up front, as I felt like it blew me ALL OVER the place, and I'm a solid bike handler. If I did it again, I'd probably run an 808 or 404 type wheel up front. Also make sure you have fast tires. IMFL is a long, straight, flat course. Another IMFL tip is to make sure you dress for the day. The year I did it, 2014, it was FREEZING COLD.
Quote Reply
Re: Which bike to choose for IMFL [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will actually be my second time at FL. First was 10 years ago and i still remember how much the temps changed from the morning to the afternoon to the cold dark evening. I don't remember much wind though. I think there was a head wind on the way back in the bike along that main highway but thats all i really remember. Was on a soft ride with nimble crosswinds back then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm with the P2 crowd as well.

As for your distances I'd focus my efforts on the bike, swim then run. Your 35 mile longest is short. Try extending that to a couple 4 hour 70-75 milers and if you can get 4.5-5 in once even better. The trainer suggestion is great and allows you to be around. Depending upon how comfortable you are in the water and ocean swimming get in a couple longer swims and continue with what you can.

With a run walk strategy you can stretch that Muncie and 9.5 mile long run to 16-18 maybe more on a good day. Once you are past the bike cut off you can run/walk to the finish just ensure that you keep a sense of motivation when you walk especially when they get longer on the back end of the race.

Finally, without knowing how may IM's you have done throw out all time goals and go with how you feel on race day. Don't think you can run 1/2 the marathon and then if you blow up on the back half this could cost you lots of time particularly if you have stomach issues again. When you are talking a 16 hour IM finish if you lose 2-3 minutes a mile on the back half that's 26-39 minutes. If you really melt down (>4.5 min/mile) that could be an DNF. Make those decisions on the race course similar to your bike expectations with the idea of finishing for your wife not going sub 16.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do as stevej said..lots and lots of time on the TT bike..have a planned walk/run for the marathon from the start no matter how good you feel getting off the bike..and when you start feeling the pain, start feeling sorry for yourself or get into that dark place like everyone does in a long race....think of your wife smiling when you finish
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 19, 17 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your family's battle.

Ride the P2. There will be somebody out there that is on a P5 going even slower.

As for training, I would consider a different approach: focus on the run. For family reasons, I did not want to leave for 4+ hours on the bike, so I chose to build up my run endurance. I did18-20 mile runs for the last two months before the taper, and hopped on the trainer for about 6 hours split up over a week as time permitted. Was this ideal? No, but it got me to the end of the bike with a 15mph average at IM CDA and I knew I could finish the run.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suparuki wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. You have convinced me to take the p2. Prior to this post I was pretty set on the road bike but just had that little niggle of a thought that it might not be the best idea. So i hope the internet doesn't break but you guys effectively changed my mind.

I do have my p2 on a trainer in the basement and that is where i spend most of my time on it. I even built a desk around it so i can work while riding but i have to sit pretty upright so i lose the benefit of getting my body used to being hunched over.

for anyone at Florida this year. When you blow by a short white guy on a tiny p2 who's going 15ish mph don't judge I'm doing the best I can with the cards dealt me this year. ^_^

That's a smart choice. Best of luck with the race.

More importantly, best of luck to your wife and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suparuki wrote:
So i have posted a few other items recently about my IMFL journey. Long story short - Wife diagnosed with breast cancer, insists I still do florida, training has taken a real back seat. My original idea of breaking long bikes into chunks has failed miserably and with 46 days to go im in DR/BC mode. I HAVE to do this and I HAVE to finish or else she is going to feel really bad and guilty about taking one more thing away from her family. That's why im doing it so quitting or DNF'ing is not an option to me. I need to do this for her, i know it probably sounds weird but until you have a spouse fighting cancer you probably wont understand and i hope and pray none of you ever understand.

Anyway to my real question. I did Muncie in July with approximately 3 weeks of training and pulled a 7:15(ish) time. If not for some enduralytes that I think went bad I would have been in good shape to have been in the low 6's. I was on track for a sub 3 hour bike and felt good until everything went south and i started to feel really sick. So i have a reasonable amount of base fitness. I believe I can finish Florida but its going to take a long time and hurt like hell and im already prepared to hunker down for a day of pain and misery. Right now my plan is to try to go pretty easy on the bike like 14-15mph range for energy conservation in hopes that I can run at least half of the marathon and maybe finish under 16 hours.

So all that being said, starting to wonder if it makes more sense to take the road bike instead of the Tri bike. I have a P2 with a disc and H3 upfront. Part of it is appearance. I personally feel really stupid going 15mph on that setup while getting passed by people on road bikes or worse mountain bikes. So the question is given my sitch would i benefit more from being in a more comfortable road position for 7.5 hours or would the benefit of the Tri bike and associated aero gear still provide enough of a benefit in aerodynamic savings to leave me fresher for the run at the same projected speed? My gut says the road bike is the way to go but the voice in the back of my head says no matter what the Tri bike is always faster at the same effort. So im really torn. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

If your still reading, this is how screwed i am with 46 days to go

Longest bike since Muncie - 35 miles in 2 hours
Longest run since Muncie - 9.5 in 1:40
Longest swim ~ 45 min in the pool ~ 1.2 miles

This is not where I thought I was going to be when i signed up. :-(

First off, sorry to hear to hear about your wife and fuck cancer.

I will take the counter position and argue for the road bike. Why? Based on your post, you have not spent much time on your P2 as of late. Is it fair to say that you are not very comfortable staying in aero at the moment? If you are not comfortable, you are going to be sitting up a lot no matter what you are riding. Should just well be on a road bike and be comfortable. You will be out there for a long time no matter what, again should just as well be comfortable.

All the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to see you pushing through something so difficult. You are likely giving your wife a greater gift than you realize.

If you want to cram more Work into less time then try and do something like 20 min warm up 5x25 tempo with 5 min easy between then 10 min cool down...3 hrs of solid work and will make IM pace feel easy.

Also don't underestimate the fatigue your neck and shoulders must endure for IM distance race. As goofy as it sounds I would wear your helmet inside on the trainer. I know that seems ridiculous but it will be a valuable training adaptation come race day.

So many people train inside (myself included) a majority of the time that come race day or a long ride weekend workout and wonder why their neck and shoulders are so tired!!

Good luck!
Quote Reply