Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which Ironman Courses for a Climber?
Quote | Reply
Which IM bike course has the toughest climbs? I'm looking for courses with the longest and steepest the climbs

Do those IM courses have a hard run with lots of hills, heat, gravel, or whatever obstacle that makes people finish the run at slower times?

No particular preference with respect to the swim.
Last edited by: Jorge Canada: Oct 10, 14 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [Jorge Canada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
http://rcmioga.blogspot.com/2008/07/im-course-elevation-data.html

Thanks Jack. That’s exactly what I was looking for: a list of the IM courses with the highest vertical elevation gain.
I wonder if there is an updated list showing the new IM courses like the new IM Canada in Whistler and the new IM Los Cabos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tahoe, Nice, Whistler, Lanzarote should all be favourable. You don't want courses with many short climbs with recovery....you want heavy guys climbing uphill for a long time with no chance to spike their power and recover. LP and Tremblant have climbing but none of the single climbs are long enough to rip things apart. Tpo much recovery after the climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO; Lanzarote is not a course for climbers. There is Timanfaya (12-14´at 4 w/kg), Mirador de Haria (20´ at 3,8 w/kg) and then Mirador del Rio (15´with rests). There are 3 technical descents, and the other 140 kms are for stronger guys (50-60 kms/h with tailwind and 25 kms/h with front wind)

(IM LZ 2002 11h37, 2008 (9h48), 2012 (9h21) and 2014 (9h28) finisher. 6 ft and 177 pounds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wales is one of the 'New' course not in this list - probably coming in at 3rd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tahoe

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
http://rcmioga.blogspot.com/2008/07/im-course-elevation-data.html

Great information. Rcimioga notes the huge variance in elevation data online, which I also find interesting. Also pretty incredible how much elevation gain there is in Austria with it being such a fast course.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GPS just isn't a great way to get elevation data, and many people's head units only use GPS.

Altimeters have their own problems too.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM France?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Embrunman: you climb col de l'Isoard. Not a WTC race, Iron distance (3.8/186/42.2k)

Triathlon de l'Alpe d'huez: you climb 2 cols + l'Alpe d'huez, not a WTC race and not an Iron distance (2.2/115/22k))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Ironman branded or length (just less than 100 miles, so in between a 70 and 140) but the Inferno in Switzerland is a brutal race and probably harder than any Ironman (BTW, that elevation is metres...and the green bit is mountain biking cos a road bike won't make it (the red bit)). Yes, the 'run' (yellow) will slow people down (gravel, rocks, maybe even some snow). Never done this race but it is a bucket list one for me...18044 ft of elevation gain in 96.4 miles (actually in 94.5 miles (minus the swim)).

Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [howlingmadbenji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
howlingmadbenji wrote:

Embrunman: you climb col de l'Isoard. Not a WTC race, Iron distance (3.8/186/42.2k)

Triathlon de l'Alpe d'huez: you climb 2 cols + l'Alpe d'huez, not a WTC race and not an Iron distance (2.2/115/22k))

Embrunman must be the best one for climbers. It might not mean much but a friend of mine won his AG at IM France and DNF'ed at Embrunman. Said it was relentless.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [Magwister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magwister wrote:
Not Ironman branded or length (just less than 100 miles, so in between a 70 and 140) but the Inferno in Switzerland is a brutal race and probably harder than any Ironman (BTW, that elevation is metres...and the green bit is mountain biking cos a road bike won't make it (the red bit)). Yes, the 'run' (yellow) will slow people down (gravel, rocks, maybe even some snow). Never done this race but it is a bucket list one for me...18044 ft of elevation gain in 96.4 miles (actually in 94.5 miles (minus the swim)).

The swim might be flat but at least it's not downhill like in Chattanooga!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a HIM course to warm up on, the Desert Half in Osooyos BC is pretty much all up or down. Although, I don't know if that is still being held. The run and swim are flat though. But the bike used Richter's Pass (from the old IMC route), over the top, down the other side, then turn around and head back up again.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the first time this year there will be a triathlon at Mont Ventoux.
http://www.ventouxman.com/

Bike leg includes the Crillon-le-brave ascent (1.3 km at 12%) as a warm-up for the Mont Ventoux from Bedouin (21.4 km at 7.6% average).

Run and swim are flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [howlingmadbenji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a middle of the pack rider, would a road bike be a better option on one of these hillier courses than a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Tahoe.

This. Climbing Brockway, it was 9 miles at 5% gradient, as I recall. We were climbing at 5 mph, so that's a solid hour up that hill. Not to mention the divert into Martis Camp (which is not on next year's course). Then go around again.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tahoe.

This. Climbing Brockway, it was 9 miles at 5% gradient, as I recall. We were climbing at 5 mph, so that's a solid hour up that hill. Not to mention the divert into Martis Camp (which is not on next year's course). Then go around again.

Wouldn't 9 miles at 5mph be closer to 2 hours (since it would take 1:48) than 1 hour?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tahoe.

Brockway was 3 miles long and 1000ft gained. Same as the Martis climb right before it.

So you climbed 1000 ft over 3 miles to the top of Northstar, descended 1000 ft, then did it again immediately. Then again the second time around the loop.

Brutal.

But the new bike course cuts out the first big climb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an IM branded race, but Wasdale X to be run in the Lake District of the UK will be a very tough one on the bike with 11K of climbing ranging upto 33% and plenty of stretches of 20%. I'm strong on the bike, but will need a compact to get up those. It's also quite technical in places so bike handling skills will be at a premium. I think most will be on road bikes.

http://wasdalex.co.uk/

bike profile

http://www.mapmyrun.com/...bike-route-196143228

Run is a bit tasty as well

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/371669219
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cabo is 5600ft. a few steep ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tahoe, Nice, Whistler, Lanzarote should all be favourable. You don't want courses with many short climbs with recovery....you want heavy guys climbing uphill for a long time with no chance to spike their power and recover. LP and Tremblant have climbing but none of the single climbs are long enough to rip things apart. Tpo much recovery after the climbs.

I would agree with this. Switzerland and Louisville show similar elevations in that link, but are much different courses.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: Which Ironman Courses for a Climber? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Kscycler wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Tahoe.

Wouldn't 9 miles at 5mph be closer to 2 hours (since it would take 1:48) than 1 hour?

It is like 3 miles, up to 10%, mostly at 8%, and takes a lot of folks at least 45 minutes of just a solid grind, times 2. But there is still dollar hill and plenty of other hills in the 112 miles.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the run at Tahoe, while it's far from flat, it's a gradual uphill/downhill course, very few steep climbs.

Regarding Brockway, it's less than 1000 feet elevation, but it does wear on you the second time, especially if there is wind.

http://www.strava.com/segments/4302089?oq=Brockway

Quote Reply

Prev Next