Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Continental makes a bunch of different kinds. Which is best for an Ironman? I would prefer something durable enough that I am not likely to get a flat. I am not that fast to begin with so every second certainly doesn't count, but would prefer a tire that is reasonably responsive.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [bigbuck425] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP4000S II
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Closeout 4000S.... Save $30.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [bigbuck425] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental 4000s def the way to go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like other have said, GP4000S.

Supersonics are faster, but more flat prone (I use them for 70.3s no problem, but am willing to risk a flat).

Gatorskins roll noticeably slower (I don't even like them as training rubber, just for commuting).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Supersonics are faster, but more flat prone (I use them for 70.3s no problem, but am willing to risk a flat).

Gatorskins roll noticeably slower (I don't even like them as training rubber, just for commuting).

I love my GP4000S. I have Gatorskins on my road bike and all I can say is you'd better have a stout tire lever if you do get a flat.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you didn't specify...I prefer Continental Sprinters. Have ridden other Contie's, both tubulars and clinchers, on the course. If I go back, I'll probably be riding Sprinters again. Others may have a different opinion / experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I love my GP4000S. I have Gatorskins on my road bike and all I can say is you'd better have a stout tire lever if you do get a flat.

Wire or Kevlar bead? I think it entirely depends on the rims you have. I have gatorskins and gator hardshells on training wheels and commuting wheels and can take them off w/ 1 hand!

OP: Conti Comps if running tubs. GP4000SII if clincher.

Quote | Reply
Schwalbe Ironman if tubular.

Conti GP4000s or GP4000s II. Aero, fast rolling, and puncture protection. the perfect tire really.

for a low wind situation, Attack/Force *might* be a good option. you'd have to model the winds and the other variables.

always always with latex tubes.

bigbuck425 wrote:
Continental makes a bunch of different kinds. Which is best for an Ironman? I would prefer something durable enough that I am not likely to get a flat. I am not that fast to begin with so every second certainly doesn't count, but would prefer a tire that is reasonably responsive.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [weekss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weekss wrote:
Since you didn't specify...I prefer Continental Sprinters. Have ridden other Contie's, both tubulars and clinchers, on the course. If I go back, I'll probably be riding Sprinters again. Others may have a different opinion / experience.

different *data*
For the clinchers we have a lot of data.

4000S - fast, big, durable

Attack - a wee faster, a wee less durable, a wee less big (so may be a wee less comfy/handlinng)

SuperSonic - faster still! no longer durable! Available in 20mm for optimum aero up front.

4000S or Attack front/Force Rear are probably the smart choices for most people. There is no race where those are a bad idea. SuperSonic might be the optimum choice if you are borderline KQ or borderline winning your age group and want every last second. If the roads are nasty or it is raining, probably avoid them.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the main difference between 4000s and 4000s ii the price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome roads (smooth as a baby butt, silk - Abu Dhabi) - Force/Attack

Normal roads (pretty good rolling surface, cotton - IMKona) - GP4000s II

Bad roads (rough as a badger's arse, the hard side of velcro - IMUK/SA) - Gatorskins (23/25mm)
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I be really dumb and ask what the difference is between GP4000 and GP4000 S

I can get the GP4000 for half the price of GP4000 S. Not an enormous choice in 650 in Europe.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the estimated life for the 400s 2, in miles?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:

I can get the GP4000 for half the price of GP4000 S. Not an enormous choice in 650 in Europe.

I just got 4 GP4000SII from http://www.worldcycling.com/. They ship to Europe.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly just a shot in the dark as I'm vaguely remembering here but the 4000 do not come with the black chili material? I know they are about 1/2 the cost as the 4000s's so that would seem to add up.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
the 4000 do not come with the black chili material?
The black 4000 does, the colored 4000 does not.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They exist in 650's

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Anyone know the estimated life for the 400s 2, in miles?

this depends.

for general riding purposes, they're as durable as any other tire.

but for *racing* purposes, you'll want to race with one as close to new as possible on your front wheel, so as to reap the aero benefits that the GP4000s 23mm tire offers.

Apparently these magic aero properties go away pretty quickly once you start to wear the tread down and it starts to look like every other round tire.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On bad NJ roads, mine last 2-3K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:

Buy the regular 4000's in black and you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Stumps wrote:

Buy the regular 4000's in black and you will be fine.

The regular GP4000 doesn't have the same overall shape and isn't as aero. I think rolling resistance is slightly higher too as it's a softer compound for cornering traction, especially in the wet. The 4000S is faster. The 4000S II, didn't change very much, so get a original on closeout.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are most Tri bikes/wheels good with the 23mm 4000s? Or when would more than 23mm be appropriate? Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Which Continental tires are best for an Ironman? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The regular GP4000 doesn't have the same overall shape and isn't as aero. I think rolling resistance is slightly higher too as it's a softer compound for cornering traction, especially in the wet.

Where do you get this info? The GP4000 with black tread appears to be the same as the GP4000S.

Quote Reply

Prev Next