Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to swim in Phoenix
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in Phoenix this weekend, and would like to find somewhere to swim, preferably outdoors, pool or open water. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim in Phoenix [uihockey2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uihockey2 wrote:
I'm going to be in Phoenix this weekend, and would like to find somewhere to swim, preferably outdoors, pool or open water. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

If you want to be surrounded by top swimmers, swim at ASU which is technically in Tempe but Tempe is right adjacent to downtown Phoenix. As you prob know, Bob Bowman and Michael Phelps have been at ASU for a year or so now, along with lots of other elite swimmers. You could prob get into a Sat or Sun masters practice; just call the swimming department and ask:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Eric's suggestion. The ASU outdoor pool is gorgeous. I've only swum in the one linked to the student rec center which is NOT the one Phelps swims in. Cost is a bit steeper than some (10 bucks I think?). Other nice ones I've enjoyed: McDowell Aquatic Center and Cactus pools. Both on the north side (Scottsdale-ish), big, clean, outdoors. Call for hours or check online - they're all weirdly limited. Have fun - should be nice and warm there this weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim in Phoenix [Hatsack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hatsack wrote:
+1 on Eric's suggestion. The ASU outdoor pool is gorgeous. I've only swum in the one linked to the student rec center which is NOT the one Phelps swims in. Cost is a bit steeper than some (10 bucks I think?). Other nice ones I've enjoyed: McDowell Aquatic Center and Cactus pools. Both on the north side (Scottsdale-ish), big, clean, outdoors. Call for hours or check online - they're all weirdly limited. Have fun - should be nice and warm there this weekend!

I believe the phoenix pools are closed. McDowell and Cactus are open. I had to join LA Fitness due to where my new office is. The city pool just two miles south is closed.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim at El Dorado in South Scottsdale (one block off Scottsdale road, just south of Thomas). Open in mornings from 6-1pm on Sat. Closed on Sunday (go to Cactus, which is about 8 miles north). Entry fee is $4 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Scottsdale for a meeting this weekend. Checked out cactus aquatics which appears to be set up for LCM. Definitely going to drop in for a swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's some info about swimming in the area:
http://swimdevils.com/...tml#backtotimetables
But wait there's more...
http://swimmersguide.com/Home/SelectFacility?cityId=7984&nationID=160
Or, you can go to USMS.org and search "places to swim"
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been years, but my dad used to swim at PSC (Phoenix Swim Club) and my mother at SAC (Scottsdale Aquatic club). I think both teams have since changed hands to BEST (Brophy East Swim Team) and Cactus Aquatics. Not sure though. If PSC is now BEST, they have awesome pedigree in both masters and elite swimmers.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim in Phoenix [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked almost the same question a few years ago :)
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#4930406
Have a good trip!
Quote Reply