Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to swim and train while in L.A.
Quote | Reply
Going to be in L.A. All next week and am looking for a place to get my swims and bikes in. Staying at the jw Marriott by the staples center. Any suggestions from the west coasters there?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and train while in L.A. [aantigua] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking down on that building from my office as I write this.....

Swims, there was a thread recently about Downtown LA pools, lots of recommendations there but the Downtown/Ketchum YMCA is supposed to be nice. http://www.ymcala.org/ketchum-downtown

As for running/riding, answer will depend on do you have a car? You're going to be limited without it in that location, or riding the metro in sweaty run gear :) I've done some running from my office on occasion but it's a real PITA with lights and traffic.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 4, 15 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
City street does suck for biking but you are not too far from Griffith Park, which does have a good road for biking with some nice hills. It would probably take 45 or so from where you are by bike. And depending on what time of day, probably faster to bike there then drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stay downtown a lot for business. Swim at the Ketchum downtown Y. (see other thread). Run around the staples center/conv center block. It is a one mile loop and you don't have to cross any real roads, just driveways. I do my tempo runs there at 530am. Running near downtown LA is tough otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and train while in L.A. [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
City street does suck for biking but you are not too far from Griffith Park, which does have a good road for biking with some nice hills. It would probably take 45 or so from where you are by bike. And depending on what time of day, probably faster to bike there then drive.

I work right where he's staying. Unless I was a hipster messenger riding a fixie with a deathwish (which are the only cyclists i see here in daylight), you couldn't pay me to ride from here to Griffith Park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't ride from downtown to Griffith, but I'd ride up to Pasadena, especially on a Saturday morning. South Pasadena is pretty close, and there's the Montrose ride on Sat morning. Once you get to the foothill communities, there are lots of options.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim and train while in L.A. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May just forgoe road riding based on what you guys said and do some early morning runs. will look for some spin classes in the area. Thanks for the info on the pools!
Quote Reply