Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to stay and train in San Diego
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in San Diego for 9 days in mid February with my girlfriend. We'll both be bringing our tri stuff. We wont have a car so we're looking to stay somewhere close to the city with easy access to good riding routes and places to run. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [clarkoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mission Bay. I used to live north of there, I loved racing at Mission Bay. Around the bay is flat, but you can easily get to some good hills heading towards La Jolla.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stay up north in Carlsbad or Solana Beach/Del Mar area. Take the train when you need to go downtown. Plenty of good masters swims, great rides and more interesting terrain up north. I think Matty Reed's wife has a small apartment she rents out.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will be there in Feb (Jan - March). We previously stayed at Mission Bay. Good for running. Biking I am not too sure about, we did a few but I really can't remember where and I think it was mainly down the coast. We did a couple up to the naval base too, I think that was South along the shore. I think we are going to stay more inland this time. The Swami ride from the Giant store (Encinitas or a bit further North) is fast but they have a store ride, which is also reasonably quick, so maybe tag onto that store ride. They go up into the hills and orange tree orchards. Nice ride. I am looking forward to the outdoors pools though, despite the fact that they are all short by a metre or two (yards are so 1970's)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mission Bay is really good. Training in Fiesta Island is popular and convenient. I also really like Del Mar. If you stay there you can bike up to Torrey Pines and then come back and go north along the coast as far as you want to. Great ride. Also, the Torrey Pines trails are awesome for running. Great (and beautiful) trail system at Torrey Pines. Another nice thing about the Torrey Pines/Del mar area is that selection of restaurants. Tons of really good places to eat all around. I would probably choose Del Mar/Torrey Pines over Mission Bay but both are good.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere in North County really. Solana Beach, Encinitas, Leucadia, Carlsbad...

Mission Bay is nice, and I guess that it depends on what type of riding you want to do. Fiesta Island is almost completely flat with a good head wind on most days. Up north you have access to several great routes out east for some heavy climbing and back roads, as well as a handful of good options within a couple of miles of the coast, and you can ride to all of these. Plus there are rides that leave multiple locations every day of the week.

There are great runs on the coast as well.

You will also have access to several amazing pools and open water swimming.

As mentioned above, the train can take you down to the city. Staying up north is a more relaxed area and excellent training.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:

Could you elaborate on the pools available to out of towners?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
jakers wrote:

Could you elaborate on the pools available to out of towners?

Could you also elaborate on the open water swim options?
In particular around Mission Bay. That's where I will be on business at the end of March for a few days, hoping to squeeze a OW swim in.
Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North. Carlsbad Encinitas Oceanside etc.....

Step outside on a weekend and it looks like there's a race? Hundreds of people biking and running on 101. Nope no race. Just a typical tri day in Carlsbad.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help. I'm looking at a place in Carlsbad near Carlsbad Village Station. I'd be looking at doing some hilly riding. Do you know how easy is it to get to hilly routes from that area?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the slow response.

But check out both the Encinitas YMCA, and the Alga Norte pool. The Alga Norte is 1 year old and is just an amazing facility.

Open water around Mission Bay is probably around Fiesta Island or Glorietta Bay. Look up the Tri Club of San Diego. They have workouts all year round, not sure about open water swims in Mission Bay though.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Sorry for the slow response.

But check out both the Encinitas YMCA, and the Alga Norte pool. The Alga Norte is 1 year old and is just an amazing facility.

Open water around Mission Bay is probably around Fiesta Island or Glorietta Bay. Look up the Tri Club of San Diego. They have workouts all year round, not sure about open water swims in Mission Bay though.

jake

I swam at the Encinitas Y and it was a great facility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clarkoe wrote:
Thanks for all the help. I'm looking at a place in Carlsbad near Carlsbad Village Station. I'd be looking at doing some hilly riding. Do you know how easy is it to get to hilly routes from that area?

Depends on what you consider hilly, and what you mean by easy to get to, but it's pretty straightforward to come south from Carlsbad to Encinitas and go inland through Rancho Santa Fe to get to Del Dios Highway which climbs a bit, or circle through from the north through Elfin Forest and come down Del Dios - lots of folks riding that route. From the far end of that ride you can get east of the 15 freeway and climb up to Ramona via, say, Highland Valley Road (nice and steep). Or you can head east out through San Marcos/Escondido on through Valley Center and get to Palomar Mountain, that's a hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be looking at doing some hilly riding. Do you know how easy is it to get to hilly routes from that area? //

From Carlsbad all you have to do is go east. Once you have gone 10 miles or so, all roads lead up. After about 40 you can even go up palomar, the KOM stage of the TOC one year and a favorite cat 1 climb of all locals. Try DeLuz rd, that will test your crank and chain strength. Too many to list really, just go east..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also traveling to San Diego mid February and plan to bring road bikes along. We decided to base ourselves out of Carlsbad as it appeared there was easy access to good riding, but would appreciate if you can share anything you have dug up on swim/bike/run!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check with Endurance House Tri Shop up the coast a couple of miles in Oceanside, they have something (run/bike/swim) going out of their shop pretty much every day.

Great shop ride out of Revolution Bike in Solana Beach on Saturday mornings, lots of women on the ride if you are bringing your girlfriend/wife, usually starts at 8:30am. They have a womens tri club, Herevolution, based out of the Revolution bike shop, and have activities going all week also.

Another bump for Alga Norte swimming complex in Carlsbad, I think it's $5 to swim, pools are perfect.

It's always nice to run the coast in Carlsbad or Encinitas but if you want trails, head a mile inland and try the Calavera Hills Trail Loop (north Carlsbad) or Switchbacks/Copper Creek Trail (south Carlsbad).

If you want to challenge yourself on bike hill repeats, try San Elijo Rd (Carlsbad/San Marcos border) -1000 vertical feet in three miles and it's even steeper on the other side (Twin Oaks) plus it has a bike lane all the way up.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [GauchoTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, thanks!

Already checked out the Alga Norte pool online and it looks like a fantastic facility, and even appears as though they have a 50m set up for lane swimming in the morning. Any idea what masters club swims out of there? Looks to be partially blocked off on Tues/Thu mornings.

We have always traveled to Hawaii to ride and run in the winter, but with the Canadian dollar being what it is, San Diego is looking like a great alternative!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [lostinT2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
City of Carlsbad Masters Swimming. https://www.facebook.com/...sbadmastersswimming/
Mon-Friday 5:45-7 AM, 12-1:15 pm Long Course
Mon-Thurs 5:45-7 PM short course
Sat 8-9:15 AM short course
Sun 9:30-11 AM Long Course
$7 for drop in Masters Swim
$5 for lap swim
Gorgeous pool, lots of parking, good place to start your ride or run from.
Close to Trader Joe's too!
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Where to stay and train in San Diego [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are here in February, the UC San Diego triathlon club is hosting their 9th annual Tritonman sprint distance triathlons on Feb 21 and 22 in Mission Bay. Saturday is draft legal, Sunday is a traditional non-draft race. Great warmup for the spring and summer season and they are only $70, get in your first race of the year when everyone else in the country is digging their car out of a snowbank.

More info at http://ucsdtriathlon.org/tritonman/about/
Quote Reply