Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to go running in Whangarei, New Zealand
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I'll be in Whangarei for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for places to go running. We have a baby so I'll be running with a baby jogger. So no off road.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(Formerly Lind)
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go running in Whangarei, New Zealand [capnhindsight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well I'm fairly confident there won't be many replies to this one, not many Whangarei-ites around these parts! (But I may be proved wrong!)

- Hatea Walkway is nice, starts from by the pool on Riverside and it's a path/ boardwalk through native forest upto Whangarei Falls, loop round and back to the pools would be 8-10km loop. Lovely Kauri, Puriri, native trees. It's all compact gravel underfoot, we spent alot of time up there with our girl in the stroller.

- They've recently done a nice little loop around the basin, down to the bridge and back with a little 'art trail' of sculptures etc along there. It's not a big loop, but you could loop around the BMX park, head out along Onerahi Rd, and then turn right into Old Onerahi Rd, then first right onto the track and you can latch into Onerahi Foreshore etc. Back to the Basin and lots of nice Cafe's etc.

- Whau Valley up to the damn is nice and all on paths / sealed road.

- Smugglers out at the Heads is a beautiful walk, you can actually do it with a stroller although I always stuck my girl in the backpack for that one, have attached some pics below of it to wet your appetite, it would be one of my favourite walks in the north.

PM me if you need any contacts, we lived there for 10 years before moving to Taupo this summer, so lots of contacts etc, happy to help out where ever I can.

Quote Reply
Re: Where to go running in Whangarei, New Zealand [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the tips and the pictures.

Will have to check Smugglers Bay out. Looks amazing.

(Formerly Lind)
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go running in Whangarei, New Zealand [capnhindsight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Occurred to me yesterday too - you could head down to Marsden Point as well, lots of nice walking around the Marina etc there, it's about a 20km trip south of Whangarei, some nice cafes etc.

Cheers.
Quote Reply