Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet?
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is looking to travel for a destination race and his wife really wants to do the 70.3 @ Monterrey, Mexico.

I am in the security and executive protection business so he asked me my thoughts.

My knee jerk when he first said Monterrey was Hell no. I had an expat friend in my company living there who said it was like living in a "compound" all the time where you didn't go anywhere alone. We had drivers and bodyguards assigned to him.

I checked my sources at the State Department and they too had reservations about going there with a $6000 bike in tow screaming "wealthy American".

My friend's wife is enamored by the photo of the swim venue photos on the web page.

Both friends are lilly white and very American looking. My friend's wife is also pretty, which may or may not matter to a scumbag kidnapper.

If you had one shot at convincing them to travel to a safer location with an excellent / beautiful race, where would you go? The closer to the US the better, but I don't want to limit the geography.

Thanks,

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Aug 27, 14 20:22
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There might be nicer ones out there, but it won't beat St. Croix by much and likely have more complex logistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
A friend of mine is looking to travel for a destination race and his wife really wants to do the 70.3 @ Monterrey, Mexico.

I am in the security and executive protection business so he asked me my thoughts.

My knee jerk when he first said Monterrey was Hell no. I had an expat friend in my company living there who said it was like living in a "compound" all the time where you didn't go anywhere alone. We had drivers and bodyguards assigned to him.

I checked my sources at the State Department and they too had reservations about going there with a $6000 bike in tow screaming "wealthy American".

My friend's wife is enamored by the photo of the swim venue photos on the web page.

Both friends are lilly white and very American looking. She's rather attractive too.

If you had one shot at convincing them to travel to a safer location with an excellent / beautiful race, where would you go? The closer to the US the better, but I don't want to limit the geography.

Thanks,

There's a 70.3 in Puerto Rico . . . I know nothing about it, but it's more "exotic" than Mexico. Anything in Oz or New Zealand I would throw in there too because I imagine they would be pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pucón is supposedly one of the most beautiful courses in the world. I've never done it, but it's gotten great press in some tri mags.

Quote | Reply
I will also add that I have done the 70.3 in Puerto Rico and IM Cozumel, where there I also a half. I'd say Cozumel is more beautiful as far as scenery goes, especially in the swim, but both are great venues.

Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Muncie

If its good enough for jerry gergich...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done San Juan 70.3, St Croix 70.3 and IM Cozumel (there is a 70.3 version also) and would say St Croix is the most exotic, downtown San Juan the most interesting, and Cozumel the most fun.

St Croix has Jump-up 2 nights before race day and is not to be missed. And if you aren't afraid to drive on the left, then you must find the beer drinking pigs in the rain forest...too funny! Nice restaurants, beautiful beaches, and fantastic snorkeling.

San Juan is a beautiful historic city that is fabulous to explore with lots of interesting shops. The old forts, city walls, blue stone streets, monuments, are well worth the time to see. Take a Segway tour from the cruise shop dock area...a blast. Excursions from your hotel to the rainforest can easily be arranged.

Cozumel has lots of all inclusive resort hotels with a central shopping district that is very tourist oriented. World class snorkeling and diving are available (same at St Croix), and very pretty beaches on the unpopulated east side. Cozumel has some museums, dolphin encounter centers, and a variety of tourist attractions to help separate you from your money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Croix. If they crave a nice swim venue it doesn't get better Thant swimming in the Caribbean in the harbor of Christiansted. That race also has the historic element of being one of the true classics of the sport. There are a surprising number of really good restaurants on the island too.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S.O.S Triathlon in New Paltz. Freakin' epic and gorgeous.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St Croix, but the accommodations aren't the best there compared to typical resort locations. No other race's swim I've seen holds a candle to that one IMO and the front end and back end of the bike are breathtaking.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Last edited by: CobraKai Triguy: Aug 27, 14 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:

Both friends are lilly white and very American looking. She's rather attractive too.

Thanks,

monterrey is no longer as bad as it used to be and there are a lot of Mexicans richer than your friend with the $6k bike living there. that said, though the swim does look lovely and the mountains in the area gorgeous, if it is smoggy the bike will likely not be nearly as pretty as Coz or St. Croix.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Pucón is supposedly one of the most beautiful courses in the world. I've never done it, but it's gotten great press in some tri mags.

x2. Macca stated it was the most *beautiful race he has ever done.

*The word he used could have been breathtaking or majestic or something else, but you get the picture......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done a lot of exotic racing but I would second St. Croix. View from the coastal road is incredible along the bike course. Should also disclose that it is the hardest race I have ever done... Including Kona. Half as long but twice as painful.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
There might be nicer ones out there, but it won't beat St. Croix by much and likely have more complex logistics.

This. I've done St. Croix 5 times and it's all you'll ever want. Safe, quiet, historic, hard....
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having lived, raced and worked in Muncie... I had to laugh at that. Thanks :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the list of 70.3 races, Mexico would be low on my list.

I'd do NZ, either of the Brasil races, Chile, but probably pick Aix-en-Provence.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Croix is better than great, but I would have to go with Laguna Phuket as my #1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mallorca 70.3 looks very beautiful from the pictures I have seen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge Laguna Phuket in Thailand.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge Walchsee in Austria and Challenge Wanaka in NZ both look pretty spectacular.

Last edited by: snackchair: Aug 28, 14 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Challenge Laguna Phuket in Thailand.
ill look into that one once I learn how to swim. That should be an hour or so from Singapore?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend savageman. It's a very beautiful race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alpe d'Huez. Did it this year. It was amazing. Not a WTC race, and actually a little longer than a 70.3, but an amazing, incredibly challenging race.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Where is the most exotic / beautiful 70.3 race on the planet? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
Alpe d'Huez. Did it this year. It was amazing. Not a WTC race, and actually a little longer than a 70.3, but an amazing, incredibly challenging race.

I've heard that this is one of the best races in the world. And hard as hell! I really want to do it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next