Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where is Jack Mott??
Quote | Reply
I remember a few years ago he stopped posting here for a while... and then came back.

Now he's been gone for a while.

He knew his stuff... I think :)

Anyone know why he stopped posting??
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was concentrating on his own site/blog for a while, aeroweenie.com, but that seems to have fallen off. He's still active on twitter but presumably he made a proactive decision to focus more of his time and attention on outlets besides ST. Kudos to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is focusing on MTB riding/racing....

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's a dad. Less time for ST.

Also gets sick of saying the same stuff over and over to "aero deniers".

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
He's a dad.

So, he's got a life.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's fairly active on Facebook.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They leave for the same reason that most that know what they're talking about leave ST....endless arguments with people that have no clue what they're talking about. It's an inevitable burnout. Over the years the trend continues as there are fewer and fewer people on here that actually have a clue about what they are talking about. I would be highly skeptical taking any advice on here if I was you.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [Gladiator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They leave for the same reason that most that know what they're talking about leave ST....endless arguments with people that have no clue what they're talking about. It's an inevitable burnout.

Not so much the arguing IMO, but rather the monotony of answering the same (dumb) questions over and over. Jack was incredibly gracious in that respect.

What is the motivation? To be helpful to the newbs and also to learn something occasionally. You can't expect someone to do that consistently forever though. Seriously, there were more than a few people here who expected him to jump in and provide an immediate answer to every question, and would get impatient if he was an hour late!

I'm glad he has found better things to do.

Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
       Kudos to him for having a life outside ST. He will be missed, though. IMHO, he is one of a very few people here whose opinion's integrity and reliability carries great weight, and who can influence a change in one's entire bike setup based on respect of his knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gladiator wrote:
They leave for the same reason that most that know what they're talking about leave ST....endless arguments with people that have no clue what they're talking about. It's an inevitable burnout. Over the years the trend continues as there are fewer and fewer people on here that actually have a clue about what they are talking about. I would be highly skeptical taking any advice on here if I was you.

I seem to remember a post (or posts) more than a year ago where Gary Hall Sr. gave some swimming advice, which was more than likely very sound guidance. Rather than listening or taking the post into consideration, several of the first responses were attacks to his credibility and advice. I don't remember his entire CV beyond the obvious, but it is safe to say Gary Hall Sr. knows what he is talking about, yet the attacks came anyway. Unfortunately, the same type of things happened to Jack's posts, Andrew Coggan's posts, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
supply/demand ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even better is when people ran off Chris Boardman!
nobody ran me off though. The owners sporting politics left me with not much desire to be around I guess.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say that as if Boardman knows anything that could be useful to us about going fast... pff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
I seem to remember a post (or posts) more than a year ago where Gary Hall Sr. gave some swimming advice, which was more than likely very sound guidance. Rather than listening or taking the post into consideration, several of the first responses were attacks to his credibility and advice. I don't remember his entire CV beyond the obvious, but it is safe to say Gary Hall Sr. knows what he is talking about, yet the attacks came anyway. Unfortunately, the same type of things happened to Jack's posts, Andrew Coggan's posts, etc.

I think it was only one person that just asked what his qualifications were with regards to swimming, to which Gary Hall Sr, as modestly as he could, listed off his Olympic results and the medals of people he coached to the olympics. It was truly entertaining, but there were really no attacks just one person that probably should have simply used google before they asked a question.
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seem to also remember a (couple?) time when Slowman was giving fit advice and had his credentials attacked. The Gary Hall incident was a classic though.

Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
pvolb wrote:

I think it was only one person that just asked what his qualifications were with regards to swimming, to which Gary Hall Sr, as modestly as he could, listed off his Olympic results and the medals of people he coached to the olympics. It was truly entertaining, but there were really no attacks just one person that probably should have simply used google before they asked a question.

This. Also, when presented with the breadth of Gary's experience, the guy at least was able to apologize and have a laugh at himself over the whole thing. A great ST moment, if you ask me.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Been riding an MTB, need to get aero spokes for it.
and programming

I don't know why you popped into my mind :)

Glad to see you are are doing well...
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
chaparral wrote:
pvolb wrote:

This. Also, when presented with the breadth of Gary's experience, the guy at least was able to apologize and have a laugh at himself over the whole thing. A great ST moment, if you ask me.

Both fair points, and it appears I should have used a phrase other than "attack". I used the search function to locate the thread before my initial response, but there were more "Gary Hall Sr" results than I expected, so I didn't read through all of them to verify my recollections, which I should have. That said, the point Gladiator made is still correct - good posters with knowledge slowly disappear. (Note: reading Gary Hall's list of Olympic results is probably the most entertained I've been by Slowtwitch.) Again, my fault for the not 100% correct recollection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
Gladiator wrote:

YEP!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give Jack Mott a shout out. He's helped me several times - even through pm with questions I'm sure he's answered before.

Also, his explanation on how to use latex tubes helped me get over my fear of racing with what I used to think was a risky setup.

http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.com/.../01/latex-tubes.html

I also use aeroweenie calculator quite often.

Thanks for all the contributions over the years!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also want to give Jack Mott a shout out.
He was really helpful when I was getting a bike for back in 2013.

This sport has a lot of nice guys. Let us treat them well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote Gladiator]They leave for the same reason that most that know what they're talking about leave ST....endless arguments with people that have no clue what they're talking about. It's an inevitable burnout. Over the years the trend continues as there are fewer and fewer people on here that actually have a clue about what they are talking about. I would be highly skeptical taking any advice on here if I was you.[/quote]

It's the nature of the beast.....called the Internet beast. A place where you have the ability/option to start arguments and act like a complete idiot without any accountability/repercussions.....you'll find it anywhere. What I try to remember though is most members here (and my other member sites.....car club/etc) are reasonable, sensible participants with a goal to provide a forum for the betterment of our sport. You'll always have the participants that might use it to vent and purposely raise arguments because they don't have anything else going on in their life. To me, that doesn't mean that you should leave because of some idiot.....otherwise you might as well forget belonging to any forum. I've found the vast majority of members here have a common interest....to enjoy, exchange information, and help further the sport of triathlon. Personally, I would never consider "taking my ball and going home" simply because an idiot decides he had a bad day and needs to get into it with someone.....from a unidentified and safe distance, of course.
Ps.......and I also paid attention and appreciated Jack's former contributions.

Last edited by: gphin305: Feb 4, 16 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Where is Jack Mott?? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
So, he's got a life.

That's another reason not to be on ST though, right? :')
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Even better is when people ran off Chris Boardman!
nobody ran me off though. The owners sporting politics left me with not much desire to be around I guess.

Boardman made claims that he couldnt back up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next