Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at?
Quote | Reply
I *used* to have a bunch of the Nike long sleeve tops that fit very snug, were thin, breathed well, etc. Most of the time I could find them at Ross.

Somehow I've lost a few so I'm always on the lookout for something like these; anybody out there use these and found a suitable replacement?

I know that Nike continues to make a "ProCombat" base layer but it fits baggy. And, yes, I'm skinny.

Suggestions that don't break the bank? I know beggars can't be choosers but I'd like find stuff in black because when I wear them under a short sleeve jersey they generally match. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently, I've discovered Icebreaker. Love the stuff. Great baselayer, thin, breathable. If you're still in PDX, store's in the Pearl across NW 11th from Powell's. It IS spendy so you may want to check our their outlet store at Woodburn. Generally 30-50% retail. Another option is adidas, if you know someone who'll give you a one of the 50% coupons to get into the employee store at HQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kohls Tek Gear. Huge fan of the Tek Gear Performance Mockneck Tee. I got three of these last winter and they served me well. Ran with these and a long sleeve tech shirt over it when it got really cold (below 10) and just wore that when it was between 20 and 30 and had no problems. Ran 3-4 times per week all winter, even in the polar vortex. Only had to resort to the dreadmill once. I'm telling you, give em a try. They are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaitWhat wrote:
Recently, I've discovered Icebreaker. Love the stuff. Great baselayer, thin, breathable. If you're still in PDX, store's in the Pearl across NW 11th from Powell's. It IS spendy so you may want to check our their outlet store at Woodburn. Generally 30-50% retail. Another option is adidas, if you know someone who'll give you a one of the 50% coupons to get into the employee store at HQ.

I'm a huge Icebreaker fan. Originally bought some base layers for a few multiday hikes, but they are great for cycling too.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hands down the best stuff I have ever come across are the Craft Active and Active Extreme base layers. I scan the "Clearance" listings every time I get a promo email form Craft and have gotten some nice deals. (It helps if you are willing to get ugly colors.) David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Five Guys Burgers and Fries, mostly.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C9 stuff by Champion @ Target. Dirt cheap and very effective.

Although I do like my old Craft base layers quite a bit.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My merino Ice Breaker is good base for cool days 40-50* I usually pair that with under armor tights at those temps. This combo is great for days where it start cool and ends up warming up throughout the ride or run.

Below that I prefer my Mizuno Breath Thermal shirt, and the Breath Thermal Pants. Especially if its 40* and not going to get any warmer.

I sources some from Amazon to get great prices, others came from my local run shop.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
C9 stuff by Champion @ Target. Dirt cheap and very effective.

Although I do like my old Craft base layers quite a bit.

^^^^This.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Places like TJ Maxx/Marshalls/etc. are usually really good for this kind of stuff. It is obviously hit or miss but I can generally get a couple of good tops or bottoms for much less than retail. Additionally, Costco usually carries merino wool tops and bottoms this time of year. The one by me just got them in and they have been some of my favorite winter tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juha-pdx wrote:
I know that Nike continues to make a "ProCombat" base layer but it fits baggy. And, yes, I'm skinny.

Move to Nike's arch-rival - Adidas. I'm a very skinny guy myself, yet even I found myself considering the Medium when it comes to their baselayers. I'm a firm Small (sometimes XSmall) in every other piece I own, including Castelli clothing - 66kg @ 188cm.

Looong sleeves, tight fit and flexible fabrics make for a good baselayer.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the base layers with a windstopper front panel. Castelli has some of those. Wind , while cycling, is a killer when it's cold out.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Five Guys Burgers and Fries, mostly.

lol, Some love their stuff so much that they wear it year round.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big fan of TJ Maxx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mec.ca

wiggle.com

Winners (similar to TJ Max)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you sourcing your winter base layers at? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mec has those... reviews say neck hole is tight.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply