Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where Can I Get an Old Rubberized Skin Suit
Quote | Reply
What I am looking for is one of the old speedsuits with the very thin rubber/neoprene that were banned for racing. What I want this for is for open water swimming with a bit of warmth but minimal floatation that I might get from a shorty wetsuit or even the Roka shorts. What options are there in the market, or does anyone have an old Men's Small size they want to get rid of. I can't seem to find anything that is new and "cheap". The textile skin suits (I have one) don't add much warmth.
Quote Reply
Re: Where Can I Get an Old Rubberized Skin Suit [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep an eye on Ebay, one might show up.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Where Can I Get an Old Rubberized Skin Suit [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're in luck. I've got a small Blue Seventy swim skin (rubberized version) that I'm not using. Let me know if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
What I am looking for is one of the old speedsuits with the very thin rubber/neoprene that were banned for racing. What I want this for is for open water swimming with a bit of warmth but minimal floatation that I might get from a shorty wetsuit or even the Roka shorts. What options are there in the market, or does anyone have an old Men's Small size they want to get rid of. I can't seem to find anything that is new and "cheap". The textile skin suits (I have one) don't add much warmth.

I thought Roka actually brought them back but checking the website I don't see any listed now. Maybe Rappstar will chime in as I am fairly confident they were brought back. Maybe it was for specific athletes but I remember Jesse Thomas had one at Wildflower one year.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Where Can I Get an Old Rubberized Skin Suit [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did. I didn't realize that they had once again discontinued them. I still have mine. It is (was?) called the Viper Pro Long. Had the just-below-the-knees cut. Contact Roka to see if they still have any on closeout. Especially given that Dev is pretty small.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Where Can I Get an Old Rubberized Skin Suit [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, that is awesome, I will email offline and we can see if this can be made to work!
Quote Reply
Re: Where Can I Get an Old Rubberized Skin Suit [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan, thanks for the info. If Logella's does not work out, then I will follow up with Roka. Not that I am racing now, but I would assume wearing one of these under the wetsuit for the swim + bike during a cold rain race would be illegal if your wetsuit is already 5 mm thick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check with Andre at Kiwami. He may still have a torpedo around....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not entirely sure. I actually have an old Kiwami Torpedo (their full rubber suit and probably even a Kaiman too - which just had rubberized legs), and I've thought very strongly about packing them for Norway. But they are just so unbreathable, I can't really imagine wanting to wear one for a loooooong day.

As to your question, I am not sure. The rules are generally not explicit about the material for race clothing; just for swimskins. I.e., I think that if you wanted to race the ENTIRE race in it, you might be able to make a case that should be legal. Because it's your race kit - not your swim skin - that's rubber.

That was the approach which was taken with the Kaiman - which had rubber legs and a rubber trim piece at the very top. It was for very short races in cold weather. Of course, that's a super-duper niche within something that's already niche, so no surprise Kiwami discontinued it. But I do believe that athletes in ITU races were allowed to wear it, even when the ITU was not allowing swim skins.

I recall Bevan Docherty in Vancouver '08 wore a race kit from Orca of similar design - rubber legs, but who knows how the rules have changed in the past 10 years.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply