Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When is weather too bad to train
Quote | Reply
I find myself having to juggle work, kids (5 of them) and all their activities as well as family functions while training for an IM. Now spring weather is making life harder.

Question: When it weather too bad that you will not ride/run? I'm to the point that as long as there isn't lighting I will ride/run. Hard rain and wind advisories cause me to suffer more but I don't have time to deal with that and kid band concerts, ball games, work travel, honey-do's, bike in the shop, dog barffed in my closet, etc..........
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't run in freezing rain. Most anything else is runnable, at least around here. We don't get above 40c in summer or below -40c in winter. i used run in lightning storms but probably wouldn't do it again. it is exhilarating but my wife would not be happy.

and i pretty much only ride on warm sunny days.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than not biking during a T-storm - at least, not on purpose - never?

I'll run in pretty much any weather - often as a Stupid Human Trick to see if I can.

I fatbiked and ran during winter storm Stella.
It was epic. Stupid, but epic.
Yes, a trainer ride or treadmill likely would have been a 'better workout session'.
But I'll remember being out in that FOREVER.
YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started doing triathlons I would train in all sorts of bad weather as I felt it made me tougher and more of a badass. As time has gone on ive realized that training in bad weather has no direct relation on my becoming faster. Some of my biggest gains have come from the treadmill and trainer. So unless I'm going to race in a very specific weather type that I need to acclimate to I tend to avoid bad weather and just go indoors. Id rather ride on my trainer than risk a fall or risk a car hit me while riding in the rain.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling on icy roads or in storm force winds adds a significant risk of an accident - so I don't cycle in these conditions.
If it's just raining, breezy and/or cold I might choose the trainer instead but training outdoors is still a perfectly viable option.

Running is feasible in almost any weather. As with cycling, I'd generally avoid icy conditions if there's a serious risk of a fall, but often there's a running route that avoids such risks and bad ice is rare around here so not a big difficulty.

I would not go outside in a thunderstorm unnecessarily, so that would include training. However, thunderstorms are also rare here so not something that causes a problem.

Short version: Weather is only "too bad to train" if it's actually dangerous. Rain/hail, sub storm-force wind, and cold temperatures generally make it harder to get yourself out the door but after that, it's a non-issue.

Question: How is spring weather making life harder? What makes it worse than other seasons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll get out in anything except for lightning. I moved to central California last year, so other than the pool I haven't done a single workout inside since the move.

Bad weather days are fun, especially when running........there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear selection!
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When lightning is involved.

A few years ago a pop up thunderstorm came up without warning in the forecast. I could hear rumbling way off in the distance and the first strike near me happened to hit the ground in the field next to the road. Then another one a few miles down the road. The third one hit behind me as I took shelter in a firehouse with the roll up door open with a couple other cyclists. After that ride I am fairly skittish of those types of storms. Sometimes, like this ride, you have no idea that storms are going to pop up and there is no place to take shelter for miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a treadmill and a trainer, so the answer is "never". The only thing that stops me is the Y will close the pool during a thunderstorm. So other than that one scenario I can't think of any reason to miss training.
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
When lightning is involved.

A few years ago a pop up thunderstorm came up without warning in the forecast. I could hear rumbling way off in the distance and the first strike near me happened to hit the ground in the field next to the road. Then another one a few miles down the road. The third one hit behind me as I took shelter in a firehouse with the roll up door open with a couple other cyclists. After that ride I am fairly skittish of those types of storms. Sometimes, like this ride, you have no idea that storms are going to pop up and there is no place to take shelter for miles.

I've been there, having to shelter in place on a ride is scary!

My biggest thing against lightning is that if I got struck and killed, the only thing I would be remembered for is being that idiot who went running/riding in a thunderstorm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't go out in thunderstorms. I don't ride on ice, and I don't run if it is below zero. My schedule has more flexibility than yours (no kids) so I will sometimes just shuffle workouts around because of weather either by taking a rest day or swimming indoors. In the winter, I have the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Sometimes, like this ride, you have no idea that storms are going to pop up and there is no place to take shelter for miles.

D'Kid & I were out for an easy ride a couple of summers ago when we got caught about half a mile from Wawa, when a sprinkle turned to a drizzle and then to a downpour

We did our best to get to the shelter as quickly as we could, but we were throroughly soaked by the time we got to corner the store was on, with just about a mile more to get home

"No sense trying to stay dry now, Dad" she reasoned, shouting above the torrential rain as stood there at the curb and waited for the light to change, while the ensuing flash flood rushing down street filled our shoes with cold water "We might as well just badass our way home"

It was right about then that the blueberry-size hail started coming down ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't run on slippery stuff anymore. Wiped out a few times and strained muscles etc can take a few months to recover. I am older now too. But if you have young kids they tend to dictate when you get your time. However I miss when they used to want to sit on my lap....

happyscientist wrote:
I don't go out in thunderstorms. I don't ride on ice, and I don't run if it is below zero. My schedule has more flexibility than yours (no kids) so I will sometimes just shuffle workouts around because of weather either by taking a rest day or swimming indoors. In the winter, I have the trainer.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't ride in rain and cold, which where I live usually come together.

Swim year round in a pool of course. I run year round except if there's snow and ice on the ground which is maybe a couple of days every other winter.

Just run and swim over the winter, and pickup the bike again around early April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I throw in the towel due to the people on the road long before it is too dangerous for me to be out. If the roads were empty rain and snow, and even wind, would have to be pretty bad for me to not consider it safe. But I know how people drive and the condition of their wipers and lights and even a light mist can put my life in danger. The fact that most don't slow down and the ones that do cause angry drivers that do stupid things and I just stay inside, and I'm a guy that rides on very busy roads with traffic very close to me with no concerns.

For swimming, water temperature below about 60 degrees (although I have swam in much colder conditions) and any red flag conditions, although strong white caps make me alter my workout.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in everything. Only once have I ever been stopped by freezing rain. Yaktrax, etc. I always do a half marathon in the winter, so my view is that it might be icy on race day, might as well know how it feels.

Riding is different... I'd ride in heavy rain no problem (again, it might be race day). Thunderstorms, no. However... in rain, cars become an issue. I just don't trust most drivers. So I usually put the bike on the trainer at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim in Pool year round
Bike inside 100% during winter; 90% during warmer months (mainly safety, convience, and efficacy of ERG trainer)
Run outside except under 20 degrees F
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate the rain, so I will not run or bike outside in it, unless it starts after I am out, then I will finish.

If it is raining though I just use my Treadmill or Trainer, so I never skip a workout due to weather.

Only time I have had to miss a workout due to weather is swimming, since the Indoor College pool that our Tri group has permission to use requires no swimming for 30min after lightning/thunder.
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
When I first started doing triathlons I would train in all sorts of bad weather as I felt it made me tougher and more of a badass. As time has gone on ive realized that training in bad weather has no direct relation on my becoming faster. Some of my biggest gains have come from the treadmill and trainer. So unless I'm going to race in a very specific weather type that I need to acclimate to I tend to avoid bad weather and just go indoors. Id rather ride on my trainer than risk a fall or risk a car hit me while riding in the rain.

Yeah, but that's just physical training... Mentally, I can think of a few rides where the rain, cold, and/or wind was so absurd as to become almost comical; those are the psychological nuggets you seek out within whenever the conditions get too shitty during a race or some other 'event' type ride or tour where you're already committed to being out there and have to grin & bear it or else call for momma. When you see other folks packing it in, you can think to yourself "Shit, this ain't even half as bad as that downpour I caught riding past the fire station that one time..." or whatever the case may be.

At some point when all the spunk and resilience of youth have left us, stubborn memories of harder days is all that's left to sustain and continue propelling us grizzled Old Farts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no such thing as bad weather. Just poor equipment and clothing choices.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to run in the rain and cold. I run outside no matter what, except for raging thunderstorm. Riding Is the complete opposite. I ride the indoor trainer most of the time even when nice out but I avoid the rain, cold and thunderstorms. I don't swim so, that one is easy, I avoid the water at all times.
Quote Reply
Re: When is weather too bad to train [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
i don't run in freezing rain. Most anything else is runnable, at least around here. We don't get above 40c in summer or below -40c in winter. i used run in lightning storms but probably wouldn't do it again. it is exhilarating but my wife would not be happy.

and i pretty much only ride on warm sunny days.

I won't run in freezing rain (intentionally at least), but running AFTER freezing rain, is great fun. Oh yeah, it requires spiked shoes, but the looks you get from people is well worth it.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find myself changing in attitude over the years. The biggest factor for me is if the conditions make it difficult for motorists see me. If it's raining or snowing too hard for them to see me efficiently, I'll either bag the workout or head indoors. Also, lightning or hail. I don't do those.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in all weather, all seasons. I find it cool to have the streets all to myself at night in the winter or during a downpour in warmer weather. By now I have all the kit I need for just about any condition. Training benefit might be greater on a treadmill than in powder or on ice on the streets in February but for me it isn't as much fun. As for cycling in really bad weather I switch my road or tri rig for my MTB or my Pugsly and usually have a pretty good time of it. I can ride rollers or a ct anytime but how often do I get to take a Surly up the 59th Street Bridge in a Nor'Easter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the session. I don't like doing hard runs in cold winter weather... -5 is OK but not colder.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next