Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right?
Quote | Reply
If I pull a 5mm spacer out of my headset stack, I need to move my saddle back a little as well, yes? How much should I move the saddle back?
Quote Reply
Re: When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. If you look at a bike fit, the first point you adjust when you get on the bike is the riders position in relationship to the bottom bracket, then everything else is adjusted from that central point. In other words, leave the saddle alone.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right? [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that if you want to lower the bars and maintain the same hip and arm angles, then you would be riding steeper.
So saddle forward... But IANAF
Quote Reply
Re: When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right? [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Jan said, saddle height and fore/aft is a done deal. 5mm, you'll prob be just fine but if anything changes oh so slightly, your reach to bars just increased by virtue of the headtube angle. 5mm is pretty slight. I'd be inclined to think you're good to go w no additional adjustments.
Quote Reply
Re: When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't move the saddle and see how it feels first. Then maybe slightly forward.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming a TT bike...

You move the aero bars and pads back a very small amount. (I could trig it but I'm too lazy to do the math right now)

However, if you think of your body position as fixed and that it rotates around a point anchored at the pedal (which is the correct way to do it), then theoretically you would roll the entire body forward and down by removing the spacer, which would indeed move the seat forward (and up) slightly. That assumes that you were set up nearly perfectly to start with, which is unlikely. Plus, 5 mm isn't much of a change on the front.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Assuming a TT bike...

Negative and sorry for not saying so first. This is ROAD bike. A Cannondale SuperSix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No matter what bike ....the steerer angle brings your bars more forward the lower you go. Like others said in your case I wouldn't do anything to the seat.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: When a Spacer is removed the Saddle goes back a little right? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a 73deg head tube angle, I think the horizontal movement is 1/3 of the vertical. So dropping the bars 5mm moves them forward less than 2mm, not enough to notice.
Quote Reply