Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelset Poll Question
Quote | Reply
Can we add "no wheels?" I have four wheelsets. I don't need race wheels. I don't need cheap OEM training wheels. I just want the damned bike.

Wheels, saddles, and bars (excepting maybe on some proprietary front ends) should all be changeable/optional on new bike purchases. Just like pedals. In my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset Poll Question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great point. When I bought my bike, the fitter would not allow me to fit on the stock seat. It was a turd. It would be nice if the bike brands could partner better with the shops to offer incremental cost options at time of purchase for bars, saddle, and wheels. As it is, we get hit with full retail on the upgrades and get a little baggie of useless crap when we leave the shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree - how many sets of Mavic CXP-22 rims laced to Specialized/Cannondale branded hubs do I really need in my garage hanging on the wall?

As for the saddle, not a single bike we own has the original saddle, road or TT bike.

And both TT bikes have aftermarket front ends as well. All that stuff is in a cardboard box in the corner of the garage most likely to never see the light of day again.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be a nice option to but the frame only, but the majority of the population probably wants to test ride the bike first.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset Poll Question [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
It would be a nice option to but the frame only, but the majority of the population probably wants to test ride the bike first.

It should be easy to test ride the floor model then just order the frame.

And most LBS will order framesets for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset Poll Question [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot swapping the default cassette. I also had to buy a new cassette for my bike. And for some, the option to swap the chain rings too.

This kind of flexibility would add cost to the bike through to the retailer, but people would likely pay a small premium for the flexibility on mid-to-high level bikes. The net cost would be a lot lower. It would add a ton of value to the consumers and strengthen the brand/LBS/consumer relationships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the stock wheels to train on but it would be nice to have an option of no wheels. I understand that some people use a specific bike for racing only and don't train on it that much.

My guess is that the stock wheels and tires are worth about $100-$150 to the manufacturer and taking that off the retail price of $3000 or more is not much of a savings or selling point to deal with.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset Poll Question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
My guess is that the stock wheels and tires are worth about $100-$150 to the manufacturer and taking that off the retail price of $3000 or more is not much of a savings or selling point to deal with.

It depends what you mean by "stock". The aggravating part for me is that manufacturers are trying to clear an additional 50% margin on wheels that none of us need. My guess is 90% of the people who are in the market for a new very high end superbike already have race wheels. Sure, we can turn around and sell them, but we get boned for that margin.

From a business context of course it makes sense if you believe it doesn't hamper demand too much.

Let's walk through this

Speed Concept module costs $4500
Zipp 404 wheelset goes for sub $1500 right now on PBK (probably close to wholesale)
Dura Ace Di2 (no brakes) group can be had for about $1500 from UK (again, close to wholesale)
Hilo RXL saddle is <$200

Speed Concept 9.9 costs $11,000

You figure a shop build and fit runs you $300, and you just saved $3k by simply understanding the above, but you also managed to erode some serious margin from Trek by not buying the full package.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to post the same thing. My preference far and away is a frame set with no wheels or other components.

-Andrew
Quote Reply