Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs.
Quote | Reply
I know this question has been asked before, i looked around and didn't really find the answer. I am 5'1.5 and weigh maybe 96 lbs. I have the 2014 SC small frame (700 wheels) and was in the market for race wheels. I have run my friends 404 front and 808 rear in many races. Now that i am looking to buy my own, was thinking 404 with 808 or disc. i have heard both about disc and small athletes and wind. Any advice would be great. I tend to race hilly races, best for me. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs. [physiolife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends a lot on your comfort level . I've seen a 90lb 5'1" (if even that tall) gal that kick butt on a mountain bike in college. I bet she'd ride a 808 front disc rear in a 30mph gusting crosswind.... just because it's faster.

I've read that the firecrest wheels and all the wider rim designs are less susceptible to crosswinds. That a 808FC front handles winds than a older 404 non-fc front.

I haven't ridden a disc, so I can't comment on the rear. My understanding is that it actually tends to have a stabilizing effect in the rear. SO while you get pushed laterally, it's creates a more even push that easier to counter balance.

The main thing is that being lighter, you'll just have to lean more into the wind and make larger corrections.

Hilly races is mostly irrelevant since aero matters far more than weight in a TT. For a lighter rider a heavier wheel on rolling hills might actually be faster.

Is there a tri shop that might let you borrow a demo set to try out before you purchase them? I'd get a 808/disc if you can. 808/808 isn't a bad option too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs. [physiolife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all good so long as you can stay in aero with it. People get fixated on weight vs aero but when winds are howling like crazy or the course has some scary turns or downhills and you are riding up for even 10% of the entire ride vs staying in aero you've given any advantage back plus some. A cheap way to find out is to try a disc cover. Cheap trial at $100.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs. [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weigh just a little more than you. The disc is fine, it's the front wheel you have to watch out for. I'd go for the disc/404 combo and be ready to pop on a low profile front wheel if conditions dictate. For me, that's about about 15mph, a little more if it's not side wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or maybe go 303 front/disc rear. Don't be afraid of the disc wheel as so much of your body weight is on the rear wheel that even in gusty weather, the disc is fairly stable.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs. [valygrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
valygrl wrote:
I weigh just a little more than you. The disc is fine, it's the front wheel you have to watch out for. I'd go for the disc/404 combo and be ready to pop on a low profile front wheel if conditions dictate. For me, that's about about 15mph, a little more if it's not side wind.

^^^This.

Get the disc, and the 404 if you are comfortable with it, 303 otherwise.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs. [valygrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. The disk really is not a problem in winds, even for a light rider- well, in my experience anyway. I'm 115 and my 808 front is what gives me issues in the wind. I think though, that a disk can be extra weight- and for a light rider especially, the added weight could negate some of the benefit. I'd say try it before you buy it... And let us all know the answer ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'7" or so 137 lbs or less I race day and I ride disc without thinking twice, BUT, I get scared on fast downhills with cross winds on my flo90 front. It gets twitchy for me.

When I expect nasty cross winds and hills, I go down to the flo60.

Just my experience.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think about a versatile raceday wheelset that you'll handle with confidence in all conditions. (You don't want to be fearfully fighting crosswinds or lugging more wheel than you need.) Remember, the most important part of your aero set-up is you and your position.

So, for dependable everyday performance, considering aero/weight and your size, an 808/1050 rear with 303/404 front would suit you well.

(FWIW...I'm 5'5", 125 lbs and have won many time trials, flat and hilly.)
Last edited by: Brushman: Jul 22, 14 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is a few lbs. heavier (although not by much) and 1" taller. She's riding 808's on her "ITU bike" and HED Jet 6/9 (650's) on her tri bike no matter how windy it is; never had a problem at all. I think it comes down to how well the bike is fitted (balance and weight distribution), bike handling skills and core strength (surprising how much of a difference this makes!).

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel set-up for super small athlete- less than 100 lbs. [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all for the advice, i think i will try out the 404/disc combo. excited to see how i do. :)
Quote Reply