Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Recommendations...
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle.

I'm looking to buy a set of all-around wheels to be used pretty much exclusively for the forseeable future. I'm relatively new the tri scene, and do not have a TT bike, but rather a Specialized Tarmac that I will eventually look to modify with a redshift seatpost, clip ons, etc and possibly buy a TT bike in the future if I stick with the hobby. But for now, I want to get a set of wheels that will serve me as good all arounders with some decent aero benefits, all while keeping the budget in the sub-$1kish range. Mind you I weigh 195-200lbs on any given day.

I've been going back and forth over several different ideas. So far, I'm really torn between the following wheels:

Flo 30's
Flo 45's
Zipp 30 Course (both stock and built by wheelbuilder.com - seems cheaper to go with the custom ones)
Hed Jet 6+

They are all in the $500-$1k range (with sales, etc) and I feel like I could be happy with any, but I don't know what to choose (or if there is something else out there to consider).

Mind you, anything is going to be a massive upgrade over the Axis 2.0's on my Tarmac, but I want to make sure I'm buying the right wheel today for the future as well. I do have a generally hilly riding area, though no hill really breaks 6% grade. I want a wheel that I can leave on all the time that's going to get me through training and racing and be pretty much bombproof for the next couple years.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Recommendations... [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of FLO 60/90 and never took them off my bike. I ride with them 100% of the time. I'm debating buying a 90/90 set of the new carbon rim wheels for next season to use in races & keep the aluminum rim ones to use year round for training. I have zero issues with using these wheels every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait about a month then order a pair of the new Shimano Dura-Ace C40 wheels. You can forget about any problems, cause they don't exist with DA wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go big, or go home... If I were in your shoes, I would buy Flo 60/90. I bought a set this summer, and they are my all-the-time wheels. They are excellent, and inexpensive enough (relative to most other CC wheels) that I will not cry in my cereal if I damage one, which is not likely.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Recommendations... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you really ride a 60/90 combo as your everyday road bike wheels? If he was really converting his tarmac to a full on tri bike, I'd say that's okay. But it's still a Tarmac. I'd say 60/60 in whatever wheels are in your price range would be a good recommendation for all around wheels. You can always get a wheel cover for the back and be good for when you really want to get aero for tri's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redfox29 wrote:
Long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle.

I'm looking to buy a set of all-around wheels to be used pretty much exclusively for the forseeable future. I'm relatively new the tri scene, and do not have a TT bike, but rather a Specialized Tarmac that I will eventually look to modify with a redshift seatpost, clip ons, etc and possibly buy a TT bike in the future if I stick with the hobby. But for now, I want to get a set of wheels that will serve me as good all arounders with some decent aero benefits, all while keeping the budget in the sub-$1kish range. Mind you I weigh 195-200lbs on any given day.

I've been going back and forth over several different ideas. So far, I'm really torn between the following wheels:

Flo 30's
Flo 45's
Zipp 30 Course (both stock and built by wheelbuilder.com - seems cheaper to go with the custom ones)
Hed Jet 6+

They are all in the $500-$1k range (with sales, etc) and I feel like I could be happy with any, but I don't know what to choose (or if there is something else out there to consider).

Mind you, anything is going to be a massive upgrade over the Axis 2.0's on my Tarmac, but I want to make sure I'm buying the right wheel today for the future as well. I do have a generally hilly riding area, though no hill really breaks 6% grade. I want a wheel that I can leave on all the time that's going to get me through training and racing and be pretty much bombproof for the next couple years.

Thoughts?

No brainer, the HED JET 6+ are amazing. 21mm wide I think will allow this wheel to stay more relevant for longer too. You won't be disappointed.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo is having a blemish/demo wheel sale as we speak... may be deals to be had.
Quote Reply