Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Picker?
Quote | Reply
There's a lot going on with bike wheels these days.

There's the never ending debate on dare I say 'tubbie vs clincher'
There's the newer fat rim sea change
There's the Chinese wheel thing
There's 'will it fit MY bike'
There's the whole 'value' argement
And not to forget the wind tunnel test data fiasco or the supplier advertizing question.

Sooooooo, is there a "wheel picker" site or spreadsheet or whatever?

I'm about to be in the market for some new race wheels. My tri bikes are changing from 650 to 700 and I need new wheels.

I'm old fat and slow. I'm not so much concerned with winning or beating anyone else, but going as fast as I can (so there's still beer left at the beer tent when I finish). I work for a living, but not as a lawyer (read I'm limited with price). I don't want the expense and hassle of tubbies, etc etc etc.

I want a deep-ish set of carbon wheels, say 60mm or so up front and maybe 90 out back (I'll only get one set of race wheels). I want clincher, ali braking surface, about 20 spokes radially laced in front (assumed bladed SS spokes) and 28 spokes for the rear. With wide (but how wide?) rims an dprobably 25mm tires.

what wheels do I want (on a budget but not necessarily cheapes) for my 2013 Cervelo P2?

A wheel picker would be ideal. Any hints?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Picker? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know I've thought about building a wheel picker javascript app for a web page, but I shit you not it would go like this?

Are you doing an uphill *only* time trial?

Yes -> Us zipp 303 tubulars or similar
No -> Use a disc rear and as deep of a front wheel as you are comfortable handling.

It would say that every time! So kind of a dumb app.

Fat. so 25c tires and wide rims with lots of spokes make sense.

HED Jet stallion build or Flo stallion builds are probably your best bet. Both will be great and match what you want exactly.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Picker? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do ironmans primarily. Often flattish courses except the uber hilly Rotorua 1/2 IM each year.

I have 650C HED3 and have been happy with them (except the unfixable rear wheel wobble that HED says is within tolerance,but I don't). I think for new wheels I will get more conventional wheels that I can use on my road bikes as well.

I'm currently thinking FLO's if I can stay up late enough to actually order a pair when the next lollie scramble happens.

I've also been thinking of just making my own :-) (a friend is a carbon fibre supplier (to Oracle) so I might give that a whirl). They wouldn't be light, fast or proven, but could be fun to make.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Picker? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At my weight I can probably run a disc/disc for anything short of a category 5!

Mind you, I was riding home last night and it was pretty breezy. I have a long flat section of road that I normally ride no hands for about 1km. I did it last night and about 500m into it, a gust hit me and I came 4 nano-seconds away from disaster! Quite how I would have got a 3rd carbon bike replacement past the insurance company still eludes me. :-)

Like they say, better to be lucky than good

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:

You do realise that you know someone who understands NZ conditions, does equipment testing (was in the windtunnel today in fact) and has been known to create all sorts of spreadsheets... You could ask that person.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Picker? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about charts? Does he know anyone that makes good charts? ;)

cyclenutnz wrote:
tridork wrote:

You do realise that you know someone who understands NZ conditions, does equipment testing (was in the windtunnel today in fact) and has been known to create all sorts of spreadsheets... You could ask that person.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Picker? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad I left my disc wheel in the shed this morning for my commute from the North Shore to Auckland CBD. I weaved/wove all over the road like a drunken sailor in the wind that is apparently gusting to 140kph. Thank god for a high BMI and Mavic Open Pro training wheels! :-)

TriDork

Quote Reply