Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Guys - How "round" is no longer "round"?
Quote | Reply
Backstory, I purchased a set of older Specialized tri-spoke wheels (carbon with AL brake) and took them out on their maiden voyage yesterday.

The wheels are perfect "left to right" but the front wheel has visible "high / low" i.e. they are not perfectly round.

Since there is no adjustment on these wheels, it seems like they would have had to come this way from the factory??? But I can't say I'm happy with a "less than round" wheel.

Any idea of what the acceptable specs are / were on these wheels and ate what point an out of round wheel should be considered unacceptable?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Guys - How "round" is no longer "round"? [Goobdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check for any sign of damage in the rim or wheel in the spot where it comes closer to the axle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While truing hundreds of wheels I've seen wheels ovalized by .100 inches and the rider never notices

I would suspect it would take much more than that for a rider to notice even at 30mph. My personal wheels are within .050 and I was over 50mph several times last week and didn't notice any hop.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of these and the front came like that when new. The original tri spokes were kind of known for this. Mine was probably about 0.1 out of round and like the poster above said I didn't really notice it except at really high speed like greater than 40 mph.

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Guys - How "round" is no longer "round"? [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did not notice it at all until I hit certain roads but I cannot really say with certainty whether it was the road or the wheel. The roads here are so chopped up in places I felt like I needed my fat tire bike just to get through them.

I'll give it another try and see how it goes before I contact/complain to the seller. I really like the way they look and the aero performance is supposed top be great so I would rather keep them then return them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be good if you could actually measure it. I've read that A grade Trispokes are supposed to be round to .030" and B grade are worse. Don't know if B grade has a max spec. When I build wheels they are .015 or less. .030 is very noticeable to the eye, but shouldn't cause problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trueness and runout of the trispoke should be sharpied or etched on the inside of the rim.

I believe HED's "A" wheels have to be 0.030" for both trueness and roundness.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my Zipps has a noticeable 'bob' in it when spinning in the workstand, but I've never noticed a thing when actually riding it ~ including descents on the old IMC course at 45mph+. I'd say as long as it's limited to the range in which the brake pads still line up well within the brake track on the sidewall, it's no big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goobdog wrote:
Since there is no adjustment on these wheels, it seems like they would have had to come this way from the factory?
If these are/were used, then it is possible that previous riding or an impact of some sort may have affected the roundness of that wheel. Possibly. Or it may have had this defect when new. Hard to know for sure with used wheels.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update on this story .. I took the bike out a few more times trying to live with the wheel because I really like the way it looks and the fact it is an very aero wheel.

I also tried contacting Brian from MyBikeShop but it seems that all the ways to easily reach him before the sale suddenly stopped working after the sale so this was another reason I tried to make this wheel work.

But I cannot take it anymore as the wheel is so bad it vibrates and shakes my entire front end. Really noticeable on smooth roads (a rarity in Illinois) but it adds to the effect of rough roads as well.

So a word of caution, MyBikeShop lists a lot of products in the classified section but it seems like you're going to take the same risks and have the same "guarantee" on your purchase as you get from a knock off Chinese brand.

And your wheels will likely even be round when you get them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a video of the defective wheels purchased through the Slowtwitch classified section from MyBikeShop.

Anyone think these are reasonable wheels for "race" wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That video is awesome... LOL. Very well documented issue... bike is damn clean too :)

Shocking that you have not heard back from him yet...
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Guys - How "round" is no longer "round"? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
That video is awesome... LOL. Very well documented issue... bike is damn clean too :)

Shocking that you have not heard back from him yet...

I tried to reach out in his classified thread.

I'm going to buy a new set because I have to, I can't ride this front wheel. I could buy them from Brian and offered to do so. I'm not sure why this was not an attractive option.

I posted this June 28th.

Hey guys... I bought a specialized wheel set from you and I have not received any replies via phone or email since I contacted you to let you know you sold me a defective front wheel.

Now there are certainly a 100 valid reasons for communication failing so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt but I would really like to hear from you asap.

I would like to work something out that is acceptable to all but right now my front end is riding like a pogo stick from that out of round wheel you sold me. And since there is no way to adjust this, I simply have no options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were him I would not even sell you another set! I would never do business with you again.
Quote Reply