Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Depth Suggestions
Quote | Reply
Hey STers just wanted to get a bit of advice on some wheel depths. I'm all good on my race bike but I've gotten the itch to get my training bike some decent wheels. I'm curious what the best setup is depth wise for regular none racing bike would be. I've got 2 66mm Reynolds already on the race bike that I can swap over if I need to so I'm aiming for a different depth with this set to maximize the combinations. Initially I'm thinking a 38mm front with a 50mm rear setup so I can still climb well and not have wind gust issues with handling.

Any advice?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Sep 23, 14 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Depth Suggestions [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will likely climb just as good or better on deeper wheels, generally, depending on your fitness and the steepness.

But for a training bike, where you don't care about looks, something like the Flo30, or Mavic Cosmic Elite, or HED Ardennes get you about 75% of the aeroness cheap and easy. Those wheels are only ~30mm deep but have good shapes and good spokes. At low yaw they are as good as deep wheels.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Depth Suggestions [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only issue with those are they are aluminum braking which is a deal breaker. I'd like full carbon so I don't have to switch brake pads when swapping between bikes. Both had chainstay braking so the adjusting is a foreseeable nightmare in that scenario. I hate to say it but I'm probably up shits creek unless I consider Chinese wheels or upping my budget.

Thanks Jack for the insight as always

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind to get something close to the raynolds in width, otherwise you have to adjust also. PlanetX got 50 80 but tubulars.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully not an inflammatory comment, but I don't get why folks want fast wheels on their training bikes. By fast, I mean more speed for less effort. Why do you want to need less effort in your training?

Genuinely interested in thoughts on this. I have occasionally tinkered with the idea of swapping my aluminium training bike (a Spesh Allez) for something in carbon, as I live somewhere very hilly and occasionally enter the odd sportive where it might be fun to try and hit the gold standard time cutoff, or do the club hill climb or something. But then I remember that it's my training bike and why would I want my training to be any easier.

So back OT my suggestion is big heavy box rims with 32 spokes, and enjoy the benefit when you get on your race bike!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might consider the Reynolds R2 carbon clinchers (32mm). I've used them for several years as a nice training wheelset. You should be able to find a set via ebay or other online sources.

Specs, photos, info, review - http://www.bikerumor.com/...bulars-down-to-1000/
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Depth Suggestions [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I don't get why folks want fast wheels on their training bikes. By fast, I mean more speed for less effort. why would I want my training to be any easier.

you've misconstrued things in forming your argument.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Hopefully not an inflammatory comment, but I don't get why folks want fast wheels on their training bikes. By fast, I mean more speed for less effort. Why do you want to need less effort in your training?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My reason is to avoid the difference in brake setup between the two bikes. I understand your perspective but there is more than one way to skin a cat, agreed? While it is my training bike that includes regular group rides here in Toronto. The main ride is known to be brutal where its keep up or get dropped (Doughnut Run). Just as turning heavy wheels is beneficial so is being surrounded by guys/gals pushing your limits every step of the way.

For me the swapping of wheels and similarity in the braking surface basically makes my life easier when deciding which setup to use on which day.

------
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Depth Suggestions [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Keep in mind to get something close to the Reynolds in width, otherwise you have to adjust also. PlanetX got 50 80 but tubulars.

This is a great point I hadn't considered. Is there a database for finding out what a set of wheels is width wise? I've got 2013 Reynolds Strike (66mm) which came from a Quintana Roo dealer which had been "upgraded" for another customers CD0.1. I assume they are just regular but they are clinchers as I'm not a fan of tubulars.

Thanks!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies if my post sounded critical, it really wasn't meant to be. I hadn't thought about fast group riding, for example, so it was helpful for me to ask the question. Good point. If I was actually allowed out the house long enough to join any group rides (new baby in the house) then I might have thought of that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
shoki wrote:
Keep in mind to get something close to the Reynolds in width, otherwise you have to adjust also. PlanetX got 50 80 but tubulars.

This is a great point I hadn't considered. Is there a database for finding out what a set of wheels is width wise? I've got 2013 Reynolds Strike (66mm) which came from a Quintana Roo dealer which had been "upgraded" for another customers CD0.1. I assume they are just regular but they are clinchers as I'm not a fan of tubulars.

Thanks!

Found the details myself here http://www.competitivecyclist.com/reynolds-strike-c

Looks to be 20.8mm wide on the current wheelset.ones as well.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

I had some group rides I did regularly that were so hard I would no shit sometimes bring the race wheels to increase the odds of sticking with the fast guy, and thus get a harder workout.

But, yeah for the rest of the week, just on slow stuff.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply