Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's your opinion on my run potential?
Quote | Reply
I'm a past semi-serious cyclist, (when racing prior FTP got to 360 @ 68kg on about 12 hours per week training). I've been running for the last probably year and a half, what I'd call not consistently, and have just started trying to follow BarryP in the last couple of months. I've had a few life issues interrupt my training in that time but do feel it's realistic to be able to commit to a frequent run program and hold it. I've got a half in about 5 weeks and after that I'm planning on doing a run block for about 4 months after. End goal is a full in 2017 some time.

My current 5k PB is a touch under 20 min, 10 k about 41.30. I did a 70.3 last November and the run split was a 1.43 after slightly over biking. I've copied my run history in distance (km's) over the last 730 days. My highest run volume has been 47 km/week which I've done twice. Average the last couple of months when I've been following BarryP is in the 30-40 km/week range.

Question is, if I dedicated a good run block following BarryP with one o the medium runs including 20 min of threshold work what do you think my potential would be? Has anyone else started from a similar position and seen some good improvements?

Quote Reply
Re: What's your opinion on my run potential? [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP is a framework. but there's a big difference between BarryP's plan building to 20mpw and BarryP's plab building and staying at +40 mpw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age? I'm just a tad faster at 51 but nowhere near that much power on the bike so I'd venture that your motor is pretty capable of putting out much faster times. I'll be curious to see what the more proficient STers have to say but I'd think sub 1:30 half is well within reach with a good run focus.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Last edited by: K-DUB: Oct 9, 15 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: What's your opinion on my run potential? [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 33, currently weigh 70kg at 178cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running more miles - consistently- really is a good way to start and I expect you will see ALOT of improvement when you do. I have similar power on the bike but weigh considerably more (to the tune of about 20kg) and can run faster, mostly by doing more miles. How fast can that get you? I leave that to experienced runners to answer. But with the aerobic potential you seem to have on the bike you should be able to cut down considerably on your run times. Although at your weight I am surprised you aren't a bit faster already. Why are you only running 40k a week currently? And perhaps you could share what kind of running you currently (and running paces?), not just mileage. This might be able to shed a light on your current performance, and how it can be improved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
what do you think my potential would be?

If you stick with a system-based approach (pick any program, it doesn't matter) and stay in the 30-40km range, you're probably looking at running about mid 18's for a 5k, mid 38's for a 10k, and @ 1:27-1:30 for a half (all off the bike).

For an improvement, you'll need to drop the standard approaches and get distance at and beyond the 65-70km as a offseason norm, and higher during specific builds. Also not worry about the need for tempo/INT work in the build. Reason being is that most are incorrect thinking just because you have a very good bike ability that it will automatically carry over to the run from a performance standpoint.

Note that when I say "drop the standard approach" I'm not talking about custom workouts/coaching. I'm talking about good-old-fashioned-processed-based training, going by feel, and in this day and age, incorporating technology feedback but not letting the technology dictate the training.

Good luck in your half.

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget about running dude! With 5.29 watts per kilo that is a domestic pro cyclists power. You could easily make a continental team or probably a pro continental cycling team.

Unless your FTP and weight is way off?

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvogt46 wrote:
I'm a past semi-serious cyclist, (when racing prior FTP got to 360 @ 68kg on about 12 hours per week training). I've been running for the last probably year and a half, what I'd call not consistently, and have just started trying to follow BarryP in the last couple of months. I've had a few life issues interrupt my training in that time but do feel it's realistic to be able to commit to a frequent run program and hold it. I've got a half in about 5 weeks and after that I'm planning on doing a run block for about 4 months after. End goal is a full in 2017 some time.

My current 5k PB is a touch under 20 min, 10 k about 41.30. I did a 70.3 last November and the run split was a 1.43 after slightly over biking. I've copied my run history in distance (km's) over the last 730 days. My highest run volume has been 47 km/week which I've done twice. Average the last couple of months when I've been following BarryP is in the 30-40 km/week range.

Question is, if I dedicated a good run block following BarryP with one o the medium runs including 20 min of threshold work what do you think my potential would be? Has anyone else started from a similar position and seen some good improvements?

I am/was a Cat 1. My numbers aren't (and have never been) anywhere near those, and I would consider myself a past very-serious cyclist who raced nationally and internationally for a bit. So your numbers are much more impressive than mine, and if that transfers well, maybe you'll do much better running.

From the couch (after stopping cycling for two or three years) it took me 3 months to run a 41 min 10k. It took about 9 months to run a 39 min 10k. And it took about 22 months to run a mid 35 min 10k and a sub 17 min 5k.

There was a 14 lb weight difference from 3 months to 22 months, and a mileage jump from 30 mpw to 50 mpw to 70 mpw (which was too much as I got injured, 50-60 was probably about right for my progression). I was 7 lbs lighter running than I ever was cycling, and I feel that was of enormous benefit. With that said, though, I was also on the edge of sickness all the time, so 2-3 lbs heavier would have probably been ideal.
Quote Reply