Aegis
Calfee
Schwinn
Huffy
Kuota
Principia
Titanflex
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Serotta went bankrupt, the company was based out of my hometown and it was very infrequent we didn't hear how much the company was suffering.

Think Guru is alive and kicking, believe they primarily do custom frames these days and have a new fitting system.

Kuota I believe is still going but just isn't behind big names like it used to be.

And most importantly CEEPO bikes are still the best 😝

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serotonin got bought by the same group that bought Mad Fiber and (almost) Blue. They fooled everything to a fair thee well and are out of business. Ben Serotta is now doing various consulting gigs in the industry, including a city bike program (don't remember the town or supplier)

Softride got t of the bike business, but Alsop is still (last I heard) in business doing office supply products.

Calfee is still in business.

Schwinn went bankrupt in '92 and was bought by Scott Sports Group. They then bought GT in 98 and went bankrupt again in '00 / 01. Bought by Pacific Cycles in '01 and taken to the mass merchants. Pacific is nor part of Dorel Outdoor. They own Schwinn, Mongoose, GT, Cannondale, Pacific and I think Iron Horse. Doing by well and are big hitters in the bike biz.

Huffy still in business, but it's branded business has taken huge hits and is a much smaller company than they were even 10'years ago.

Kuota is still in business, but focuses more on the Euro market, I believe.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: Oct 4, 15 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serotta: Dead. Management mistakes. Went down the road of manufacturing its own carbon tubes, forks, and everything else that went into its frames. Capability of manipulating a frame's materials was incredible, as was the quality. It all came with an incredible price to match. After the housing bubble, Serotta found $8K frames a hard sell. Its titanium frames, which should have been the company's bread and butter, were a thousand dollars more than Moots, and that was a really bad position to be in.

Calfee: Still around. It makes really nice custom frames, but the design of the company's three models has changed little in fifteen or twenty years. Recently introduced a carbon soft-tail road bike. Craig seems to spend his efforts promoting bamboo bikes. Best carbon repair in the business.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Oct 4, 15 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Here's one, whatever happened to Slingshot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:

Believe it or not, the company still exists and is still selling frames that use a cable for a downtube.
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:

Believe it or not, the company still exists and is still selling frames that use a cable for a downtube.

I've heard they are really comfortable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you even try google? Several of those companies are still around with up to date websites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play.
I eill add that I recall & (& have owned some & even miss):
1980- 2000 MTB & road edition:

Bridgestone
Ross
Univega
Myata
Nishiki
Haro
Muddy Fox
Klein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slingshot was very nearly my first tri bike. For the right price, I'd love to hang one on my wall.

THAT was when the tri industry really was pushing the envelope. Softrides. Zipps, Slingshot, Litespeed, Quintana Roo, Hotta, Cheetah. The arms race back then was awesome!

Back then you really could spot a trigeek from a mile away, and not just for riding with a Speedo! Ahhhhh, the good old days

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The U.S. Division of Bridgestone went under in the mid-late 90's, but they still make bikes for the Japanese market. The USA division was largely the vision of Grant Peterson, though and the bikes were completely different. Peterson now runs Rivendell.

Nishiki is owned by Raleigh North America (which in turn is owned by Accell). They were using the brand for department stores, but don't know if they still do.

Haro is still in business.

Klein was bought by Trek in the "Great 90's Buyout Frenzy" and trudged along for a few years, but is now discontinued.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going back to my freestyle days.

Kuwahara!

OOB years ago in the states. But never knew why. Should go Google it and find out.

Quote | Reply
Sekine ?

The RM-10 was my first 10sp, back in 1981.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
Griffen
Serotta
Elite
Guru
Javelin
Softride
Aegis
Calfee
Schwinn
Huffy
Kuota
Principia
Titanflex

You can peel my Serotta Colorado CR from my cold, dead hands....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:
Griffen
Serotta
Elite
Guru
Javelin
Softride
Aegis
Calfee
Schwinn
Huffy
Kuota
Principia
Titanflex

Ditto. I love my Colorado ii. I think I bought it in 1992 or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Did you even try google? Several of those companies are still around with up to date websites.

Of course I'm aware some are still in business. Some of these brands were all the rage, now have drifted off to non players. Hence, the query, "whatever happened to?"
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBinMT wrote:
I'll play.
I eill add that I recall & (& have owned some & even miss):
1980- 2000 MTB & road edition:

Bridgestone
Ross
Univega
Myata
Nishiki
Haro
Muddy Fox
Klein

I had both a Bridgestone MTB and Klein road bike. Loved 'em both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a post-Trek Klein road bike hanging up in the garage (frame and fork only right now) . Debating whether I want to turn it into a commuter or not. I also have a Quintana Roo frame that might become the commuter bike.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
pdxjohn wrote:
Griffen
Serotta
Elite
Guru
Javelin
Softride
Aegis
Calfee
Schwinn
Huffy
Kuota
Principia
Titanflex

Ditto. I love my Colorado ii. I think I bought it in 1992 or so.

My Colorado II in its current configuration....bought in 91 and still running strong. Note the friction DT shifters. Wink

Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did Motobecane go from being a good French bike company to a Bikes Direct exclusive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kuota, a Calfee and a Softride sitting in my basement.
Quote Reply
Re: Whatever happened to?………..the bike manufacturer edition [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
I have a Kuota, a Calfee and a Softride sitting in my basement.

Didn't Storman Norman win Kona twice on a Kuota? Man, for a while there Kuota was the go to Tri bike, then poof, they are only sold in Europe and maybe one Canadian distributor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just for clarification, this is Norman, not me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Javelin Bicycles is headquartered outside Chicago, and has been manufacturing the highest quality racing frames since our inception. Are tube-to-tube carbon manufacturing process gives us the ability to produce any of our full carbon road, track, cyclocross, and time trial frames custom tailored to a riders specifications. Geometry, integrated seat mast, disc brakes, electronic optimization, anything is possible! Our customers not looking for a custom build, also have the option to choose between 5 stock sizes in most models.

Whether you're looking for a sub 700 gram road frame, or custom time trial bike your next Ironman, Javelin has you covered.

Feel free to reach me at matt@javbike.com with any other questions.

www.javbike.com

www.facebook.com/javbike

Quote Reply

Prev Next