Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would you wear.....UPDATED w/ PIC
Quote | Reply
49 degrees F, 15 mph winds. Olympic distance. What do you put on in T1......or do you suck it up and generate heat through work on the bike?
Last edited by: Mike Alexander: May 2, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a wuss so I'd throw on this: https://www.roka.com/...ket-black-dark-slate

That's what I did in my last half-distance with about the same conditions and I was perfectly toasty but not overheated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my first race of the season start like that last year. I got into the water too early because I was cold but that was a mistake because my body got cold by the start even though the water was warmer.

I put toe covers on my shoes before the race then put gloves on before the ride. I get cold very easily but that worked for me. It was a bit sunny so that helped too. The hardest part was trying to put my shoes on in t2 without much feeling in my fingers!

Hope that helps some but warm toes and fingers were the most important thing for me.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves for sure. I'm assuming the race will be wetsuit legal so I'd wear calf and arm coolers under your suit just to protect myself a bit from the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not going to generate enough heat on the bike to stay warm. The windchill will strip the heat right off of you. Cover your helmet vents. If it was me, I'd wear a tight fitting thin long sleeve shirt, socks, and thin full-fingered gloves. Remove the shirt in T2.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut out a torso-sized piece of space blanket and put it against your chest under your trisuit. You can have this in there before the swim so you do not have to worry about it. And arm warmers. I'm assuming its wetsuit legal so you can have those on under your wetsuit. Have toe-warmers on your shoes. You could wear knee warmers too.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the forcast for Texasman on Sunday. I'll be dealing with the same conditions.

Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bunch of wimps! But really for 49 degrees you'll be fine, and if you get cold bike harder! or I guess you could let a bunch of people pass you while you get dressed
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [WaterRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaterRat wrote:
This sounds like the forcast for Texasman on Sunday. I'll be dealing with the same conditions.

Ron

Yep. Are you racing the sprint, oly or x50?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAT race, olympic distance, 49 degrees, I believe the rules state the swim is canceled.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
WaterRat wrote:

Ron

Yep. Are you racing the sprint, oly or x50?

Olympic over 40 Clydesdale. Should make for an interesting morning. I like the space blanket idea from above. Might have to try that.

Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Space blanket is an option. The other is the Castelli Gabba jersey (short sleeve should be fine). It's great for these conditions and doesn't flap in the wind.

Either way, gloves and toe covers on the shoes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
USAT race, olympic distance, 49 degrees, I believe the rules state the swim is canceled.

Really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Really.

I just read a chart I had printed out and that is how I read it.

Depending on the distance, different water temps could get a different length race swim canceled.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is sun you should be fine. My opening and closing Olympics last year were colder and were not a problem.

I brought gloves and a cycling jacket to my opening race (~45 and some sun) but didn't use them and was perfect. No problem with hands turning into unresponsive claws.

For my closing race it was ~35 with no sun and I ended up with gloves, pants and a jacket that were way too much clothing on the bike.

I have found if I keep my core good, I don't have to worry too much about hands and feet. I think for an Olympic you are going hard enough for short enough that it is not too much of a worry.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, I think that 49F is the air temp, OP didn't really say what the water temp is.

If its sunny, I'd do toe covers and put on thin full fingers gloves while on the bike, practice that first, putting on gloves while aero can be a little tricky, especially if its windy.

If its not sunny, I would have a dry long sleeve top of some sort that is easy to put on wet ready to go and them make a last second decision in T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a jacker, gloves and toe covers on the ride. You are absolutely going to be cold coming out of the water, but should be fine if you put enough on..... and dry off as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp will be fine, upper 60's maybe even low 70s. It's Texas and we really didn't have a winter, lakes are warming up fast. Severe storms possible today with the cold front but I think the rain will be done by race time. Will likely be cloudy for the bike though and the wind should be a 15+ mph crosswind on the bike.

Ron
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
Dave, I think that 49F is the air temp, OP didn't really say what the water temp is.

If its sunny, I'd do toe covers and put on thin full fingers gloves while on the bike, practice that first, putting on gloves while aero can be a little tricky, especially if its windy.

If its not sunny, I would have a dry long sleeve top of some sort that is easy to put on wet ready to go and them make a last second decision in T1.

Opps, my mistake.

I wish 49 was real cold. Napa hits my wife had a screen shot of the temp at 32 air, and we had water at 55.
I should have put on more clothes, but the gloves saved me from a DNF

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My typical season opening sprint was 34* a few years ago (pool swim though). I didn't put anything on. I never got "cold", just lost the motor function in my hands and struggled getting my shoes on in T2.

This year it was a hair about 40, again, no additional gear and was perfectly fine.

I would do toe covers and gloves and that's it.
My .02

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This over tri suit....

http://www.kiwamitri.com/kona-wings-p/wing.htm

I do some work with Kiwami, so am a bit biased, but love their clothing....
Quote Reply
Re: What would you wear.....Olympic Tri [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the weather was bad, the wind was awful. 30+MPH gusts and 48 degrees. I went with a vest, gloves and toe covers....and was fine. This was how another athlete went about tackling the bike:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done that once now. It's a surprisingly effective way of dealing with the cold and you speed through transition nicely :)
Quote Reply