Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What will happen if ... (question for mechanics)
Quote | Reply
Can I get away with using a Shimano 10-speed chain pin on a Shimano 11-speed chain? I'm sure there will be a very slight difference in the pin length vs. the chain width, but will it hurt anything?
Quote Reply
Re: What will happen if ... (question for mechanics) [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, when a pin wasn't properly seated in the link the chain broke under heavy load and caused jerky shifting. I've never tried 10spd pins on an 11spd chain tho...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good question. the total width of the chain is supposed to be the same, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. In other words, total photonic reversal.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What will happen if ... (question for mechanics) [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
No. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. In other words, total photonic reversal.

That's exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness, I don't believe it will work. The gears are the same width between 10 and 11, but the 11 speed cassette spacing between the gears is smaller, so the side plates on the chain are thinner. That means that the 11 speed chain is narrower than a 10 speed, and the pin would be too long. That is going to cause 2 problems - the pin will not engage the side plates correctly, and it will protrude too far and get in the way.

I know from experience that a CN9000 chain will work with 5600 components. I don't have an 11 speed to try, but I would bet that a CN6600 chain would not work on 9000 system. The chain would not drop onto the cassette.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, use an 11 spd quick link, SRAM, KMC or similar..
Quote Reply
Re: What will happen if ... (question for mechanics) [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
No, use an 11 spd quick link, SRAM, KMC or similar..

I just had a pin fall out of my chain due to my shoddy installation, I had to jog 4 miles back to the garage, but I had my cross shoes on.

Just use the stupid quick link and be done with it.
Quote Reply