Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What to wear for IM
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first IM this year. After trying out my new trisuit that I got cheap it seems a little hard to pee in. Impossible basically... I'd have to take it off.

Now I'm debating. Just pee myself and for the short sleeve suit I have (SLS3 suit) that seems decent after my first ride.
Pros- Fast, no transition changing, seems comfy so far, already have it no extra money spent
Cons- zipped up tight and hot if the mercury gets high, can't pee, pad felt good on the ride but not so sure about 112 miles on it.

Just regular cycling and run stuff-
Pros-already own it! Cheap and ready to go. Stylish (especially my zombie jersey), going to be plenty comfy, bike jersey storage.
Cons- Seemingly slower than any tri-gear i've ever used, have to change (losing even more time)

Nice bib shorts and an aero jersey
Pros- Fast on the bike(who doesn't like a free couple extra secs), comfy, probably pretty stylish
cons-don't have either yet, change in transition.

I'm in no danger of failing qualing for Kona and should be able to finish with little danger of cut offs. But I do want to have as respectable a time as I can. Plus you never know... Maybe some wide ranging flu will strike only the people in my age group so I want to be fast as possible.

So what does everyone else where? Why? And what would you recommend for a shorts/aero jersey combo. I would like to spend some money on nice stuff but always like to be frugal and deal hunting when I can.

Thanks everyone!

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: Apr 12, 17 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM go with a tried and tested 2 piece tri kit. Can imagine why you'd go with anything else (unless you want to pee yourself).

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
For IM go with a tried and tested 2 piece tri kit. Can imagine why you'd go with anything else (unless you want to pee yourself).

I heard that was half the fun! Is that with tri shorts or traditional bike shorts?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which race?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Which race?

Immt. I know it's quite a ways out still but I'd like to start being ready sooner rather than last minute.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Is that with tri shorts or traditional bike shorts?

Tri shorts. You'll wear them during the swim under the wetsuit, so fast and easy transition to the bike. Same thing with the tri top, maybe just unzipped a bit for range of motion on the swim. Try it all out a few times before the race: with your wetsuit for a few swims, on the bike and out on a run. Be comfortable; you don't want to be thinking about your kit during the race.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I have stayed away from a one piece for IM distance - I used one for a half ironman, but had to use the facilities, and wow - that was time consuming.

I've done an IM with tri-shorts and a tri-top - the downside is that you have little padding for the bike.

I've also done IMs with Bike shorts and changed to run shorts/run shirt for the run - there was no downside, other than it took an extra 25 seconds in transition (these were small non M-dot events with change tents right next to the bike racks). It was refreshing to run in loose clothes.

Swimming with bike shorts under a wetsuit was not an issue for me. I practiced it a few times to make sure. Contrary to what you might think, you don't even notice the extra bulk of the chamois, and it dries out fast enough on the bike that it's not an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shaggyrider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Is that with tri shorts or traditional bike shorts?

Tri shorts. You'll wear them during the swim under the wetsuit, so fast and easy transition to the bike. Same thing with the tri top, maybe just unzipped a bit for range of motion on the swim. Try it all out a few times before the race: with your wetsuit for a few swims, on the bike and out on a run. Be comfortable; you don't want to be thinking about your kit during the race.

All the tri shorts I've ever used have thin padding. Any particular pair that will make my twig and berries feel like they're being caressed by angles?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
All the tri shorts I've ever used have thin padding. Any particular pair that will make my twig and berries feel like they're being caressed by angles?

Lol. Personal preference I suppose. Thin padding works especially well with an ISM-style saddle or in aero position in general. Plus it doesn't soak up water from the swim like regular bike shorts would (think: diaper) and is quite comfortable on the run. One short to rule them all.

My personal faves for comfort are De Soto and Kiwami. Kiwami fits a bit tighter on me while I could wear the De Soto all day (which upon reflection I guess I do). Probably as close to being caressed by angels as I'll get on race day.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shaggyrider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Lol. Personal preference I suppose. Thin padding works especially well with an ISM-style saddle or in aero position in general. Plus it doesn't soak up water from the swim like regular bike shorts would (think: diaper) and is quite comfortable on the run. One short to rule them all.

My personal faves for comfort are De Soto and Kiwami. Kiwami fits a bit tighter on me while I could wear the De Soto all day (which upon reflection I guess I do). Probably as close to being caressed by angels as I'll get on race day.

+1 for the DeSotos (especially in bib form), I'll wear them on 100mi bike rides even outside of triathlon, they're that comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do ALL of my bike training in tri shorts . . . as I said everything tried and tested,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
shaggyrider wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

+1 for the DeSotos (especially in bib form), I'll wear them on 100mi bike rides even outside of triathlon, they're that comfy.

+2 for Desoto. Specifically the Tri "Fly" bibs!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear DeSoto and Kwimi all the time for suits and for two pieces in this thread. Any models to lean towards or any that are just crap and low end filler?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me, a BOP IM guy, comfort is everything. a little bit of time spent in T1 / T2 to change into dry / comfortable duds is infinitely worth it. a no-brainer, as it were.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its basically preference. I have always used a once piece tri suit and sometimes I had to pee, sometimes I didnt. It sucks taking it off if you have to go but I look good in it so I wont change (jokes, I just like the sleeves on it). Maybe try the two piece if you are worried about losing time.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I hear DeSoto and Kwimi all the time for suits and for two pieces in this thread. Any models to lean towards or any that are just crap and low end filler?

This is so subjective, but I'm all in on the 1 piece. For myself, I would NEVER stop to pee, but that's me as there's no way I'm wasting time not moving forward. If you have to do #2 and sit, then you screwed up anyway and the ease of stopping and dropping pants is a non issue. I also have a theory that I feel is a very strong argument as to why one should wear 1 piece. If you look at any triathlete or cyclist in a time trial position, how does their midsection look? Yes, much wider than normal. When one is aero, you are slumped and the internal organs are compressed, thus thrusting out. And what happens when you constrict your gastric system with a hard band for hours? (drawstring and or/waistband). I seriously think that some athletes have blamed gastric issues on fueling when the clothing could very well be the culprit.

I am quite familiar with the Kiwami line and I would absolutely go with the Spider model, aero, or sleeveless as you prefer. The extra compression in the quad and hammy area late in the race is worth the cost you pay when purchasing, plus the suit is supportive, comfortable, lightweight and by most accounts one of the most aero suits around. It also lasts a few seasons, so if you're in the game long term, do it right. Just my opinions, but 33 years of experience and lots of bad clothing in my past has me convinced.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

For Kiwami I have the Spider top and bottom and for De Soto I have the Riviera top and bottom - the top is short sleeved, not the traditional tri top (last year's model?). I feel that the De Soto is better in the heat but that could just be perception since the fabric doesn't seem quite as, I dunno, thick I guess. At any rate, I'd recommend either of these. I'd be surprised if any of their lineup is crap but don't have personal experience in that regard; everything I have tried on from both of these companies has been very good quality.

I believe some one-piece suits like the LG Course LGneer Skin Suit have a "relief opening" that allows you to take a pee without removing half of the suit.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

This is so subjective, but I'm all in on the 1 piece. For myself, I would NEVER stop to pee, but that's me as there's no way I'm wasting time not moving forward. If you have to do #2 and sit, then you screwed up anyway and the ease of stopping and dropping pants is a non issue. I also have a theory that I feel is a very strong argument as to why one should wear 1 piece. If you look at any triathlete or cyclist in a time trial position, how does their midsection look? Yes, much wider than normal. When one is aero, you are slumped and the internal organs are compressed, thus thrusting out. And what happens when you constrict your gastric system with a hard band for hours? (drawstring and or/waistband). I seriously think that some athletes have blamed gastric issues on fueling when the clothing could very well be the culprit.

I am quite familiar with the Kiwami line and I would absolutely go with the Spider model, aero, or sleeveless as you prefer. The extra compression in the quad and hammy area late in the race is worth the cost you pay when purchasing, plus the suit is supportive, comfortable, lightweight and by most accounts one of the most aero suits around. It also lasts a few seasons, so if you're in the game long term, do it right. Just my opinions, but 33 years of experience and lots of bad clothing in my past has me convinced.

+1 for the 1 piece. I have a decent amount of flab around my midsection from my weight loss, and a 2 piece kit cuts into me and likes to separate leaving a nice donut to get sunburned. To pee, just hike up a leg or do a quick unzip. It's not that big of a deal.

That being said, I did the different bike kit and run kit for my first IM. I wanted to be comfortable, keep cost down and use gear I knew and trusted. It made a long day that much more pleasant. Good luck on your race.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on DeSoto

I have both the DeSoto 1-piece and tri shorts and I love the shorts although the new 1-piece with a flap to pee is pretty awesome. For me, I used the DeSoto tri shorts under my wetsuit then only added a (gasp!) cycling jersey for the ride because it has sleeves and pockets (e.g. carrying an extra tube). Once I got to T2, because I have a frickin marathon in front of me, I took the 2 minutes, stripped off the tri shorts, lathered up with Vaseline, and threw on a pair of running shorts and running shirt. I just found less chafing and better breathability with running shorts. Again, I am MOP guy so the extra time wasn't going to materially make a difference but the comfort was absolutely going to matter.

Oh, another thing (not that you asked for it) but totally used blister band-aids on the nipples becuase I didn't want to be THAT guy with blood stains down my shirt. Worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

Desoto makes a FliSuit that has a little flap that allows you to go #1 without doing anything besides pulling your dick out of the flap. Brilliant!

https://www.desotosport.com/...ucts/riviera-flisuit

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 12, 17 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a BOP I do a full change in T1 and T2. I am out there a long time so comfort is important.

One thing to consider is sun protection. If the IM you are doing is hot and you are going to be out there for 10+ hours a top with sleeves and longer shorts provides sun protection. I race in the heat of Australia. I wear calf compression sleeves and arm coolers for sun protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you ride 100 miles in a thin tri short without rubbing yourself raw? That's the question.

For the first IM, and unless you plan to go fast and contest for the podium and Kona slots, you might be better off changing from swimsuit into a cycling kit, and then into a run kit. It takes additional 3-60 seconds which is no big deal. IM is an all day event. Changing tents are provided and nudity is allowed inside.

Also, cycling jersey would be better for storage, and at keeping sunburn off your shoulders, although obviously there are other solutions for this.

A lot of us here would do it in a tri kit, but we've done this for years and know it'd work for us.

Whatever you decide to do, test it in training first!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for IM [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Jloewe wrote:

Desoto makes a FliSuit that has a little flap that allows you to go #1 without doing anything besides pulling your dick out of the flap. Brilliant!

https://www.desotosport.com/...ucts/riviera-flisuit[/quote]

I've raced most IMs in a one piece. I have the Kiwami LD Aero and LG Course M2, both sleeved, and both designed to take leak without removing anything. All the comments above about having to remove the suit just to take a leak reflect an unawareness of all the innovation currently available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that can pull a tri suit leg up to pee?

I've done one and two piece and have found that it makes very little difference. Two piece is a bit more convenient.

Of the things that will make you uncomfortable 130 miles into an IM, what you're wearing is pretty far down the list.
Quote Reply

Prev Next