Prev Next
What to watch on the trainer
Quote | Reply
Looking for trainer tv suggestions.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever your wife wants to watch! (This is Us, Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, and Special Victims Unit, Big Bang Theory)
We have a new little one in the house. Managing work, the little one, and her mental state, I have very little time for training. But we have come to a compromise. When I get home I give her a little bit of a break, and hang out with him while cooking dinner and taking care of various odds and ends. After dinner, when the tv series she likes comes on, instead of "spending time with her on the couch watching tv" we have negotiated that we can watch the shows together while I'm on the trainer in the basement.
Not the most ideal situation, but I run zwift, get to look over at my little guy, have random conversation with the wife, and punch the "spend time with me" clock. This little one has been the greatest thing in my life so far, but boy has it cut into training time! He is mesmerized by the now overweight pale guy on the contraption with a bunch of moving parts.
On the rare occasion I get home before his midday nap, I can watch him by myself on the trainer while giving her a break. I have a Mamaroo toy swing set up on a table next to the trainer. I can successfully feed him and play with his feet and hands to keep him content for probably up to 1.5 hours.
It has also allowed me to justify to her the new NEO as well.

Make it work for you and your family.
Last edited by: bariiings: Jan 8, 17 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [bariiings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not married lol. My daughter lives with her mom and I typically wait until she goes home to hit the trainer. But I get what you're saying. I usually put my old kindle fire on my areo bars and just watch Netflix or Amazon.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not on contraception. If you were, you'd still have plenty of time to train.
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [Gagliardi45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edited!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well played brother! Dad for the win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Looking for trainer tv suggestions.

The ITU races. $20 per year and you can rewatch all races.
Rest of the time it's podcasts. Flip between podcast during easy stuff to very specific music during hard intervals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else mentioned there's been a few threads on this. There are the usual suspects (great movie BTW)... Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead, House of Cards, etc... If you have Amazon Prime you might want to check out Sneaky Pete. I just finished it up last night and really enjoyed it. I would recommend it if you enjoy conman movies like The Sting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like motorcycle racing- watch the saturday night Supercross and use the races as intervals.
My sunday workouts are done with the race taped the night before.
Usually works out to be about 4x6min, 3x5min, 2x4 min 1x16 min and 1x20 min with variable rest intervals (Love the FF button sometimes other times not so much) Base each interval for a different % FTP, for the longer races- change level 4min at one, increase for 1min. All kinds of games to play.

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished watching the first 3 seasons of The Americans. Waiting for Season 5 to premiere on FX so I can watch S4 on Prime and catch up (currenlty have to buy S4).

Also running through How I Met Your Mother, which I can't believe I never watched. Great show (although 20 min episodes can make longer trainer sessions seem very long....finish an episode and think "Damn, I'm only 20 minutes into the workout?")

Other series to consider - The Shield, Justified and Goliath.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where do you get these races?

I don't understand how someone can watch a legitimate tv show that they want to enjoy while working out on the trainer!!
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

https://triathlonlive.tv/live

Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been catching up on the star wars trilogy on the longer rides.
Harder rides I watch TDF stages, currently working through the years and now watching 2009 when The Lance came back: fascinating watching and listening to some of the interviews now we know most were doped up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My viewing depends on the type of workout.

Anything greater than sweet spot (around 90% of FTP) usually requires music and some old TdF stages or usually a SufferFest workout.

I do a lot of sweet spot work, and I find that action movies are the best. 3x20 at sweet spot ALMOST fly by with a good flick on Amazon Prime or netflix.

I don't do any zone 2 type of rides on the trainer. There is no show on earth that would get me through that hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YouTube has a surprisingly OK selection of Ironman footage between the NBC Kona broadcasts and full coverage of certain races. Usually watch one of those for my 1-2 hour rides. Usually play Xbox on my 2.5+ hour rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually concerts for me. I find it hard to watch something with conversations, but it all depends on your tastes.

The Killers live at the Royal Albert
DMB - Central Park, Folsom Field & Listener Supported
Anything Grateful Dead
Ed Sheeran - Jumpers for Goalposts
The Band - The Last Waltz
Bob Dylan 30th year celebration

If there is a sporting event on though I'll have that play with no sound and play some music through the speakers to keep motivated.
Last edited by: mbecks2: Feb 10, 17 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

I don't understand how someone can watch a legitimate tv show that they want to enjoy while working out on the trainer!!

Endurance pace rides = TV shows

Intervals = music

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NBC Sports Gold has a cycling package that is only $20 and gives you access to a ton of cycling races including all of the grand tours starting with last year's Tour De France. They have full event replays that are 2-5 hours long. The only downside it it renews every July before the tour so you will only get ~5 months out of it if you start now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's so many netflix series now I basically only watch that on the trainer. If you haven't checked them out, I'd strongly recommend Narcos and then House of Cards. I recently watched Stranger Things, OA, and now Crown. Those are all good enough to keep my mind occupied, but not as good as the others. Not a Netflix original, but on Netflix, I also recently watched Sherlock, which was pretty good as well.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: What to watch on the trainer [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, season 4 of the Americans is on prime now, started watching it on Friday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top-level biathlon

Top-level bike racing, espcially in Belgium and the Netherlands

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Feb 11, 17 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha this is golden but true whatever she wants and is into enough to put up with the trainer noise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For really hard days, I'll watch shows that have little connected plot between episodes, such as NCIS, Law and Order, etc, etc.

For the L1/L2/L3 days, I'll watch whatever else on Netflix. To name a few: Bones, Supernatural, Merlin, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, House of Cards, Blacklist, White Collar, Prison Break, Chuck, probably a few more I'm forgetting. Whatever suits your fancy though really.
Quote Reply

Prev Next