Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What to do when the pool is closed?
Quote | Reply
I swim at my university's pool. It's free. It's 50lcy. I love it; however, it will be closed for 2-3 weeks over christmas break. Will using resistance bands be sufficient to not completely lose the little swim fitness I have? Or should I try to find a paid alternative? (poor student).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any competitions coming up?
Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my "off season", but I wanted to really focus on my swim... because it sucks. badly.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to make deals with gyms while on college break. I would tell them I was only home from school for a month and I needed a gym. I didn't want to pay a lot of joining fees but I didn't want a free membership either. I'd either work out a way to pay them $30- $40 for their membership fee in a one time payment. That was either through buying apparel, protein supplements, or whatever I had to do. Just go in and talk to a local gym and explain what you need. They won't turn your money down

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool is down for like 4 months. Just going to do bands for a while. And, take a break from swimming. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
City or municipality pools are public, but very reasonable. That's my recommendation. Living in a bigger city helps of course, as some small towns may not have a pool. I live in Raleigh, NC and we have many. $35 for a 15 swim punch pass. Dirt cheap. Even our masters club swims in public pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I swim at my university's pool. It's free. It's 50lcy. I love it; however, it will be closed for 2-3 weeks over Christmas break. Will using resistance bands be sufficient to not completely lose the little swim fitness I have? Or should I try to find a paid alternative? (poor student).

Ya, this is the problem with college pools, so you just have to find another pool one way or another; as others have suggested, either a club where you can join for one month, or a municipal pool where you can pay by the swim. The resistance bands will help but they are no substitute for real swimming:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you? I'm sure someone can find you a decent affordable pool to swim at.

My regular pool is about $3 per swim or $27 for a 10-punch pass (with student ID).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. Perhaps you have some friends with passes to their pools?

Time to cash in on good kharma :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing I do when it's open:

Ride my bike.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rowing machine

I edit my posts, a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you need to find a pool. 3 weeks is a long time to take off if you're swim is your limiter anyway. Where are you located?
This would be a start - http://www.swimmersguide.com/

Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkenny5150 wrote:
No, you need to find a pool. 3 weeks is a long time to take off if you're swim is your limiter anyway. Where are you located?
This would be a start - http://www.swimmersguide.com/

This. I use swimmer's guide all the time. You'd be surprised how many pools are out there open to the public, or at least have masters drop in if you ask nicely.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't find another pool, band work (lots of it), pull ups, and core work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in a place has XC ski trail access, you can lots of double poling, or single stick for strength. Harvard may agree with me there. There are a lot of similarities of the Nordic Skiing motions that apply to not only swimming, but cycling & running (between classic & skate skiing). Spend a little time doing that & you'll come out a stronger skier and triathlete. You'll feel lots of the same muscles being used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a masters program in your area and see if one will help you out.
http://www.usms.org/placswim/

imagine.believe.achieve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is 50lcy? I've never heard of a pool that length before.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DunnRight wrote:

It is a 50 yard pool (50 long course yards). They exist, but are rare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bands should help decrease the loss of arm power if you use them diligently. I do it regularly for spans up to 2 wks at a time when traveling. I'm positive it doesn't make me get any faster, but for sure, it slows down the rate of loss of swim ability when you're not swimming.

For me, the main limiter of the swim bands is the darn standing up bent over position, which strains my back since I'll do the bands for over 30 minutes at a time if I do commit to doing them. If there were a bench to lie on and use them, I think they would be even more effective, but I don't have access to a bench when I'm traveling.

I actually can break a decent sweat while working out with the bands. It's not easy, and not fun when you're cranking on them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how I'm feeling and how much time I have, but could be one of any of these -

1. Go to a different pool.
2. Sleep.
3. Push ups and pull ups.
4. Go to a gym and lift upper body weights.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
DunnRight wrote:

Where is this? You are a credible source...but I don't believe it!
Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
chaparral wrote:
DunnRight wrote:

My pool is about 55 meters (it was supposed to be 65 m but apoorly mapped electrical vault got in the way)
With the bulkheads in place it is 50m. The bulkheads can be moved to many positions, and one is 50y.
I suppose many pools could be done like this if they have the positions for it.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do when the pool is closed? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
chaparral wrote:
DunnRight wrote:

Hmm, now I am doubting myself. But I thought there were two in the US and both had weird stories how they came about. Or maybe I am just confusing 50 yard pools with odd pools like the one in oak ridge that has a 100m set up. Or weird 33 1/3 meter pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion...keep moving forward. Maintain fitness via bike and run. Take the opportunity to do some strength training or jump on a rower for an hour. 2-3 weeks out of the pool is no biggy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next